Proposal: Mattias Ekholm for Nylander and Zaitsev

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Who of those guys has negative value??

Zaitsev is fairly priced for his production/performance and Nylander is under market value.

The only reason Zaitsev has been getting so much attention in trade proposals is because he is the highest cap hit player that is expendable now that Marleau is gone.

But unlike Marleau, the Leafs should expect decent return in a trade. In the vicinity of 2x 3rds or a 2nd rd pick.

Nylander is easily worth Ekholm+ but I guess everyone stopped watching after January 2019 and did not watch him before he started the 2018-19 season. So long as you limit his sample size to that stretch there between 2018-19 yeah, you’d be hard-pressed to find redeemable qualities.

Not like a team MVP for Sweden at the Worlds and a force for Toronto down the stretch and in the playoffs.

giphy.gif

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty fair if you replace Ekholm with Ryan Ellis?

They're similar players in the sense that when they're on their game they're both good players.. but at the same time they're also inconsistent and when they're not on their game.. it isn't pretty. That being said, Ellis has a better contract.

Strictly talking about Ellis for Nylander 1 for 1 btw (no Zaitsev). I doubt the Preds would do that trade tho (unless they think Nylander can play at C), even Carolina didn't trade Pesce. Very rarely will you see top 3/2 dmen traded for wingers.

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Combine the facts that Ekholm is making 3.75M for the next three seasons and that we have a 36 year old Dan Hamhuis behind Josi and Ekholm on the left side and re-think about how much we value the guy. Not to mention he's at least good in every aspect of the game. Nothing special offensively, but can carry the puck out of the d-zone or into the o-zone. That's still huge for someone whose biggest contributions comes from his defensive game.

Am I the only one who thinks this is pretty fair if you replace Ekholm with Ryan Ellis?

Value wise I would maybe do this. I just don't think Poile moves Ellis.

Nylander - Johansen - Arvidsson
Forsberg - Turris - Granlund
Grimaldi - Bonino - Smith
Jarnkrok - Sissons - Watson

Josi - Zaitsev
Ekholm - Fabbro
Hamhuis - Weber
Davies/Santini/Carrier

Few notes:
1) Bonino or Turris would have to be moved to fit Duchene
2) I don't know why Poile was so inclined to free up as much cap space as possible, but if it was for a possibility to extend all of our UFAs (Josi, Granlund, Smith) along with signing Duchene, then this move may negate what he wanted to accomplish with the Subban trade. If we moved Turris and let Smith walk, then it would work if I'm not mistaken.
3) Doing this deal prior to Zaitsev's NTC kicking in would make a great difference when looking forward into the expansion draft

Fun idea that's very unlikely to happen

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
They're similar players in the sense that when they're on their game they're both good players.. but at the same time they're also inconsistent and when they're not on their game.. it isn't pretty. That being said, Ellis has a better contract.

Strictly talking about Ellis for Nylander 1 for 1 btw (no Zaitsev). I doubt the Preds would do that trade tho (unless they think Nylander can play at C), even Carolina didn't trade Pesce. Very rarely will you see top 3/2 dmen traded for wingers.
I don't know how you think Ellis at 6.25M is a better contract than Ekholm at 3.75M :huh:

Nylander is a much bigger upgrade to our top6 wings than Duchene is to our center depth, so no, I don't think we care about Nylander's center abilities.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I don't know how you think Ellis at 6.25M is a better contract than Ekholm at 3.75M :huh:

Nylander is a much bigger upgrade to our top6 wings than Duchene is to our center depth, so no, I don't think we care about Nylander's center abilities.

Ellis' contract is better than Nylanders'.. wasn't talking about Ekholm.

I quoted someone talking about Ellis and Nylander.

Reactions: Gh24

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Why would Leafs trade for another LHD? And proposal is awful anyway for Preds. They will use any available cap space for anything but Nylander.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ekholm is worth more than Nylander....letalone adding a cap dump to nylander.

Nashville gets an awful deal.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
whats the word for beyond terrible/atrocious, terribad?

this is terribad for Nashville. theyd laugh at Ekholm for Nylander 1 for 1, Nylander couldn't even get Pesce before he got his $ and had a below average year, what makes you think adding a cap dump would make this any better?

do you have any common sense? start using it, this isn't rocket science.
What makes you think nylander couldn’t get Pesce? From what I heard Dubas wanted Pesce+

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Look I’m not commenting on the trade but it’s crazy how underrated Nylander is he missed half the season and stepped in cold and wasn’t played properly. He’s an extremely talented player before this season him and Marners stats were comparable. Next year if Babcock uses him right putting him on the top PP and top line with Mathews I expect a PPG+ season

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Nylander is getting underrated on this board lately
Im a Nylander fan but I dont think he's worth Ekholm. Ekholm has a 3.75 aav for the next 3 years. Just finished 10th for the Norris. He's our best defensive defenseman but his offense underrated and gets put on the back burner playing with josi subban and Ellis.
And I think taking Zaitsev makes this trade even worse. Zaitsev has potential to turn it around and poile or any gm would be gambling to risk that. So right now He is solely a cap dump and not a good one. As I said in another post they will probably need to entice a team with a good prospect to take him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad