Matthews wins 3rd Rocket in 4 seasons

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Definately has potential to be a top 3 goal scorer and top 30ish player all time by when he retires if he keeps up his prime another 3-5 years
Players today are having their peak arrive later than usual and primes seem to be lasting longer but AM does have some but not major durability concerns.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Was the other thread talking about him being the leading goal scorer locked?

He'll beat Ovechkin when it's all said and done - assuming he's also willing to hang on past the point of being useful.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Greatest American player ever? Certainly the best American forward ever.
From what I understand, the league only recognizes Canadian players as great and gets mad if players from other nations are also mentioned as great. You've be warned. :sarcasm:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
1713552055911.png

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Gretzky
Lemieux
Bossy
Ovechkin
Matthews
Bobby Hull

In no particular order, those are the 6 best goal scorers in NHL history. Not necessarily in terms of career in AM's case (yet) but in terms of actual goal scoring ability.

Reactions: pi314

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
51 ES goals is insane. Really a special season.
In a season filled with two 100 assist seasons, three 130+ point seasons, 39 or whatever games it was home point streak, etc etc, it's really being slept on how insane 51 ES goals in as an accomplishment. To be a 50 goal scorer without a minute of PP time? Crazy.

Hypothetically Could you imagine him and McDavid on the same line?

He would challenge for 80 goals+
You just gave Gary Bettman an idea for a gimmick team at the 4 nations. "Team North America 28 and under"

Reactions: Rob Brown and Madap

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Most times leading the league in ES goals
  • Bobby Hull - 6x
  • Maurice Richard, Alex Ovechkin, Auston Matthews - 5x
  • Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr - 4x
  • Brett Hull - 3x
Only eight players have led the NHL in ES goals more than twice. Matthews is already tied for second place all-time, and he's still only 26.

I think there's a pretty clear top nine for the greatest goal-scorers in NHL history (in chronological order - Richard, Howe, Hull, Esposito, Bossy, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Ovechkin). 10th spot is wide open, with lots of good candidates. Matthews appears on track to make it a clear top ten.

I'd argue he's already there. I generally slot Bure 10th, but Matthews may have already topped him. If he hasn't, he's really close, his peak/prime is already better, just lacking longevity.

To be honest i'm extremely impressed with Matthews. I'm starting to think it's not all that unlikely he'll make a run of his own at Gretzy's (or soon to be Ovechkin's) record.

After age 26 season - Matthews has 368 goals, Ovi had 339.
Age 27 was lockout year for Ovi, so he only potted 32. If Matthews scores ~60 again next season - he'd have close to a 60 goal edge on Ovechkin, age for age, after age 27 season.

Matthews may not win rocket trophies at ages 32, 33 & 34 like Ovechkin did, nor score 50 goals at age 36 - but he may not even have to do that to outdo Ovechkin's raw output, because of the gap he's building up.

Obviously - still a long way to go still. Continued health will be key. And he definitely needs to start becoming a greater playoff goal-scorer to rise up that top 10 list.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
In a season filled with two 100 assist seasons, three 130+ point seasons, 39 or whatever games it was home point streak, etc etc, it's really being slept on how insane 51 ES goals in as an accomplishment. To be a 50 goal scorer without a minute of PP time? Crazy.
100%, I don't think a lot of people appreciate how good 51 EVG goals is. Ovechkin in his prime averaged around 30....43 being his best and that's not a knock on Ovechkin, he would be leading or near the top with 30 goals.

If you look at the 80s, scoring 50+ EVG was accomplished 4 times, 3 by Gretzky and 1 by Kurri (being fed by Gretzky). Brett Hull did it in his 86 goals season in 1991 (quite possibly the best goal scoring season ever) and Selanne scored 52 EVG in 1993, but that almost doesn't count, there were 14 guys who scored 50+ goals that year compared to 4 this year. There were also a few in the 70's, some influenced by Bobby Orr.

As good as Lemieux was in 1988/89, scoring 85 goals and 199pts, he only had 41 EVG.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I'd argue he's already there. I generally slot Bure 10th, but Matthews may have already topped him. If he hasn't, he's really close, his peak/prime is already better, just lacking longevity.

To be honest i'm extremely impressed with Matthews. I'm starting to think it's not all that unlikely he'll make a run of his own at Gretzy's (or soon to be Ovechkin's) record.

Age 27 was lockout year for Ovi, so he only potted 32. If Matthews scores ~60 again next season - he'd have close to a 60 goal edge on Ovechkin, age for age, after age 27 season.

Matthews may not win rocket trophies at ages 32, 33 & 34 like Ovechkin did, nor score 50 goals at age 36 - but he may not even have to do that to outdo Ovechkin's raw output, because of the gap he's building up.

Obviously - still a long way to go still. Continued health will be key. And he definitely needs to start becoming a greater playoff goal-scorer to rise up that top 10 list.
2004-2005 was also an entire year lost to lockout.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I think he's passed Bure as well....and if not, he easily will unless everything falls apart.

Sticking to EVG narrative, Bure's best season was 45, then 40, then 35. Matthews had 32 EVG is his rookie year. In addition to the 51 EVG he had this year, he also had 44 in 73 games in 2022 (injury), 31 in 52 games in 2021 (COVID) and 35 in 70 games in 2020 (COVID).

What's more impressive 70 goals or 100 assists.

Well 2 players got 100 assists this year.
Nobody got 70 goals.
What's more impressive, 50 EVG or 100 assists?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Matthews has an extra season under his belt though, no? Eight seasons by age 26, to Ovy's seven.

Ovy's rookie season would've been the 04/05 lockout, and who knows how many goals he could've scored.

Also, just checking their hockeydb, I am just now realizing THESE TWO HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY.

How have I just now noticed this? :laugh:

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Was the other thread talking about him being the leading goal scorer locked?

He'll beat Ovechkin when it's all said and done - assuming he's also willing to hang on past the point of being useful.
Honestly, I'm out of that conversation until at least 2030 or 2031.

Matthews has an extra season under his belt though, no? Eight seasons by age 26, to Ovy's seven.

Ovy's rookie season would've been the 04/05 lockout, and who knows how many goals he could've scored.

Also, just checking their hockeydb, I am just now realizing THESE TWO HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY.

Yeah, I noticed that a long time ago.....makes it very easy to compare goal totals "at the same age".

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
Matthews has one of the best shots we've seen in the NHL ever. Then his superhuman ability to find open space allows him to use that shot to its fullest potential.

One time I saw him just skate in a big circle to get open. All the defenders on the ice stopped paying attention to him like they were being run by bad video game AI. He does this all the time. It's even more unbelievable than Ovi standing in the same spot, making the same shot, and scoring the same goal hundreds of times in his career.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Yes 1 less season for Ovi (started at age 20 vs 19) - and yes they do have same birthday, which makes it easy for age to age comparisons.

But - games played is very comparable despite the 1 season extra.

After age 26 season - Ovechkin 553 games, 339 goals
After age 26 season - Matthews 562 games, 368 goals

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

You just gave Gary Bettman an idea for a gimmick team at the 4 nations. "Team North America 28 and under"
100%. People don’t enough focus on ES scoring. PP’s come and go and most of the game is played on ES.

Shout out to Stamkos too by the way. I also felt his 60 goal season (48 ES!) does not get enough respect. It’s always Ovechkins 65 but Stamkos season was just as impressive if not more in my opinion.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Love Matthews...but this just makes me so angry that they can't build a proper team around him. Wasting his prime like Sundin, Iginla, The Sedins, Price, Hellebuyck, McDavid, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad