Matthews wins 3rd Rocket in 4 seasons

Mar 26, 2010
AM34 has won his 3rd Rocket in 4 seasons. No one has scored more goals than him since entering the NHL. Very impressive when you look at his stats, over fifty 5v5 goals this season. Only 2 empty net goals out of 69 goals this season. Truly a generational talent.

With the performance Kucherov and MacKinnon put on this season, we seen some amazing Hockey.

1713544887877.jpeg

1713544913996.jpeg

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Only had 2 EN goals out of all of that and 51 of them were even strength, AND he hit over 20 posts. And despite all of that, he shot 18% with a career 16% shooting % so it's not even like this was some unsustainable run. He was just shooting the puck a ton.

Truly excited to see what he does in the playoffs this year I think he is going to be scoring a goal a game

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
For all the Auston thread that mostly cherry picking numbers, this one seem much more something worth mentioning.

It is indeed an exceptional feat.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Most times leading the league in ES goals
  • Bobby Hull - 6x
  • Maurice Richard, Alex Ovechkin, Auston Matthews - 5x
  • Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr - 4x
  • Brett Hull - 3x
Only eight players have led the NHL in ES goals more than twice. Matthews is already tied for second place all-time, and he's still only 26.

I think there's a pretty clear top nine for the greatest goal-scorers in NHL history (in chronological order - Richard, Howe, Hull, Esposito, Bossy, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Ovechkin). 10th spot is wide open, with lots of good candidates. Matthews appears on track to make it a clear top ten.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Will be so tough to get close to 70 again with everything factored in.

Shame he didn't get it this season.
I'm guessing scoring will remain relatively the same over the next few seasons. IMO there is a lack of truly elite starting goalies right now, 10-15 years ago there were a lot more. I definitely think he'll have a chance again soon. The same way guys are hitting 130-140 points again, 60 and 70 goal seasons don't seem to be a stretch anymore

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Most times leading the league in ES goals
  • Bobby Hull - 6x
  • Maurice Richard, Alex Ovechkin, Auston Matthews - 5x
  • Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr - 4x
  • Brett Hull - 3x
Only eight players have led the NHL in ES goals more than twice. Matthews is already tied for second place all-time, and he's still only 26.

I think there's a pretty clear top nine for the greatest goal-scorers in NHL history (in chronological order - Richard, Howe, Hull, Esposito, Bossy, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Ovechkin). 10th spot is wide open, with lots of good candidates. Matthews appears on track to make it a clear top ten.
That's pretty crazy, Matthews could easily get to 10+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad