Matthews vs Price

Who is a better player and impacts the game more?

• Matthews

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Price

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You are on a roll

Hard to compare players with goalie

Probably Matthews now because I always take the player in these weird comparisons. Price has won the Hart already and MTL tanks in the standings without him

Leafs perfect record without AM34

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Difficult to say, when Price is at his best it is easily him. He can carry a team kicking and screaming to the top of their division. With the play of both players just this season? I think its probably Matthews. Price has been a mixed bag, and Matthews has been stellar all season long minus two or three games.

Also, I think better player and who impacts the game more are different things. Price obviously impacts the game more as a goaltender. Matthews I think is the better player relative to their peers.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Enough with the Matthews comparisons. How do you compare a Centre to a Goalie? or even a Defenceman?

Reactions: Mitts

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Carey Price is a better player
Carey Price impacts a game/season more.

Not sure how that's even debatable.

Matthews is maybe more valuable as an asset though. He's also going to be better for a lot longer as he's younger and still getting better.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...at-impacting-a-teams-playoff-chances.2393001/

Results of above poll speak for themselves. 15 games doesn't change that...

If the Habs could trade Price for Matthews, they'd do it instantly. You don't need the best goalie in the world to be successful and win the Stanley Cup. You do need a guy like Matthews though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Carey Price is a better player
Carey Price impacts a game/season more.

Not sure how that's even debatable.

Matthews is maybe more valuable as an asset though. He's also going to be better for a lot longer as he's younger and still getting better.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...at-impacting-a-teams-playoff-chances.2393001/

Results of above poll speak for themselves. 15 games doesn't change that...
Matthews is quite clearly more valuable and I don't think it's close at all. As for who's better it gets a bit more complex though

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If the Habs could trade Price for Matthews, they'd do it instantly. You don't need the best goalie in the world to be successful and win the Stanley Cup. You do need a guy like Matthews though.
Yes and i said that. Value as an asset - but that's not the same as better player/who impacts the game more. I think Price wins in those regards.

Does anyone in the whole NHL bar-none impact a game/season as much as Carey Price? According to the poll above done this off season, the answer is no.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yes and i said that. Value as an asset - but that's not the same as better player/who impacts the game more. I think Price wins in those regards.

Does anyone in the whole NHL bar-none impact a game/season as much as Carey Price? According to the poll above done this off season, the answer is no.

That's the nature of the position. The Canadiens rely on Price to win games all the time, but is he even that reliable now? He gets injured all the time and from what I can see, he's forced to play injured a lot of the time. Price isn't enough to turn the Canadiens around, but Matthews has turned the Leafs around completely.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Who impacts the game more on any given night? Price
Who would you rather have to build a team around? Matthews.

Successful teams can account for average goaltending in the systems they play... You cannot have a successful team without a #1C. The fact Matthews as an elite #1C is bonus.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Matthewsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That's the nature of the position. The Canadiens rely on Price to win games all the time, but is he even that reliable now? He gets injured all the time and from what I can see, he's forced to play injured a lot of the time. Price isn't enough to turn the Canadiens around, but Matthews has turned the Leafs around completely.

I mean Price has had his faire share of injuries lately. If you want to call that less reliable, sure maybe. but OP says nothing about that. It asks better player, and who has a bigger impact. That doesn't have anything to do with health imo.

And how is Price not enough to turn the habs around? With Price they've been a perennial division leader for the past few years, with some playoff success.

All Matthews has done so far is helped the Leafs squeak into the playoffs once. Let him actually achieve and accomplish something on a team level before you say he has a bigger impact on the Leafs than Price has on the habs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I mean Price has had his faire share of injuries lately. If you want to call that less reliable, sure maybe. but OP says nothing about that. It asks better player, and who has a bigger impact. That doesn't have anything to do with health imo.

And how is Price not enough to turn the habs around? With Price they've been a perennial division leader for the past few years, with some playoff success.

All Matthews has done so far is helped the Leafs squeak into the playoffs once. Let him actually achieve and accomplish something on a team level before you say he has a bigger impact on the Leafs than Price has on the habs.

The Atlantic division is really weak. Matthews took the Leafs from last place to making the playoffs last year and putting up a great fight, to being 2nd in the East now.

Price is 30. His best years are being wasted in Montreal. Price steals games for his team because he's that good. Matthews changed his team's culture and made them better all over the ice. Unfortunately, Price can't teach his forwards how to score.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
please explain this

Simple. He has leadership, unlike all the guys that came before him and wouldn't take responsibility for their team's failures. Matthews is a leader, he shows the way every night for the Leafs. His play is absolutely irreproachable, offensively and defensively. He's a beast of a hockey player and not afraid of the media, unlike Phaneuf and Kessel.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Atlantic division is really weak. Matthews took the Leafs from last place to making the playoffs last year and putting up a great fight, to being 2nd in the East now.

Price is 30. His best years are being wasted in Montreal. Price steals games for his team because he's that good. Matthews changed his team's culture and made them better all over the ice. Unfortunately, Price can't teach his forwards how to score.

2nd in the east? I mean it' been 20 games lol. You're reaching a bit.

Matthews is good but you can' really attribute much team success to him yet. Give it time.

Price is a better player and has a higher impact on team success on both a game or season basis. As of today that is absolutely true.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
price impacts the game more, any goalie does.

if a goalie has a bad game, its a blow out

if a player has a bad game, they may be teh cause of 1 or 2 goals but they blend in with everyone else.

dumb poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad