Matthews vs Erik Karlsson + Four 1st round picks

Matthews vs Erik Karlsson + Four 1st round picks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
It's July 1st and you are Kyle Dubas and someone has offersheeted Matthews for 13m x 7 years and Erik Karlsson wants to sign with you for 13m x 7 years. Do you keep Matthews or take the four 1st round picks and Karlsson?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Interesting question. Assuming the team sheeting Matthews is a rebuilding teams like the Islanders, Coyotes, etc. ... I would take the picks and pay Karlsson. On a team featuring Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Nylander, Kadri, etc., Karlsson is a 75-80 point threat, while Matthews is a 90-100 guy.

That said, if the team sheeting Matthews was a tweener team looking to contend (say Philly), I would try to workout a deal with them first, considering the picks will likely be in the 20s. I'd try to strike a deal with Philly where they get Matthews for Frost, Konecny, Sanheim and a 1st. Then sign Karlsson.

OUT:
Matthews

IN:
Karlsson
Frost
Konecny
Sanheim
1st

I do this because I think Frost will be a Marner (type) player with 70+ point upside. Rielly, Karlsson and Sanheim give the Leafs a very nice BIG 3, and Konecny is the perfect gritty Leaf.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If Karlsson was the same age as Matthews, I think most people would go with Karlsson.
So its basically four 1st round picks vs the 7 year difference between those 2.
Pretty easy choice

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Matthews for Karlsson is a close trade as it is...add in 4 trades and it's lopsided as hell.

Let Matthews sign the offer sheet.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The obvious answer is "marvel at HF's bizarre fascination with offer sheeting Leaf players" which is almost 0 risk.

Too stupid and annoying to vote on.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
  • I don't even care about age. EK is only 27/28. I would take EK over Matthews straight up. EK will still be good for likely another 7-8 years. I do not think ANY GM is worried about their team 10 years from now...
  • The picks are just bonus..

Reactions: Yasuo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad