Matthews vs Draisaitl

Better 2nd Line Center

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Don’t you guys always trot out Hyman to try to prop up Matthews numbers last year and Marners this year.
I doubt you’ll see the irony though.
:laugh:

Their numbers need no propping up, Draisaitl only comes close to their production this season playing with McDavid. Even most Oilers fans agree Draisaitl is clearly not on their level.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The Leafs are in massive trouble with Nylander then.

Lol well he's a different story for obvious reasons, but yeah he has not performed as good as anyone predicted at this point. I knew he would be well below a point per game this season though which I predicted on here before his comeback.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marners stats not playing with Tavares last year are .84 points per game. No doubt Leaf fans see him as a mediocre forward.
Posting stats without context is fun!
Real fans indeed!
:laugh:

Quit posting laugh emojis to hide the fact that you're jealous of Toronto's players, you don't fool anyone.

Reactions: Kelly

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I didn't vote.

I'm an Oiler fan who feels blessed to have Draisaitl, but I'd tip my hat to Matthews as a slightly better player.

I will say that Draisaitl is more way more durable, and doesn't play nearly as reckless as Matthews.

Matthews is injury prone as hell. That counts as something to me.

Reactions: Sacul

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner is producing a lot more primary assists this season and at one point he was leading the league in that category.

Only McDavid (57), Kucherov (56), Gaudreau (55) and Kane (51) have more primary points than Marner right now (With Rantanen and Point tied at 50 and MacKinnon with 49).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I didn't vote.

I'm an Oiler fan who feels blessed to have Draisaitl, but I'd tip my hat to Matthews as a slightly better player.

I will say that Draisaitl is more way more durable, and doesn't play nearly as reckless as Matthews.

Matthews is injury prone as hell. That counts as something to me.

I wouldn't say he plays "recklessly", it's more bad luck. But yes, his shoulders do look like they might be a problem going forward.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't say he plays "recklessly", it's more bad luck. But yes, his shoulders do look like they might be a problem going forward.
I think it is more he doesn't know what he can and can't get away with quite yet. he's got no apprehensions about taking a huge hit in a dangerous area to make a play, and it's cost him a few times. Hopefully that gets better with time

Reactions: Morgs

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yea you dumb Leafs fans!! Listen to this Flames fan who doesn't watch Leafs games to make an opinion instead of all you homers who watch all the Leafs games!!!
It's hilarious seeing a Leafs fan call a Flames fan out for (supposedly) not watching Leafs games when they're shoved down Western Canada's throats. Meanwhile, Toronto fans clearly don't watch Drai based on the reliance of parroting stats ad nausea without any context whatsoever. No self awareness at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's hilarious seeing a Leafs fan call a Flames fan out for (supposedly) not watching Leafs games when they're shoved down Western Canada's throats. Meanwhile, Toronto fans clearly don't watch Drai based on the reliance of parroting stats ad nausea without any context whatsoever. No self awareness at all.

I've never really understood the assumption that if you're not a fan of a team, you clearly never watch them play. I'm a Penguins fan who lives in the Leafs/Sens region. So, technically speaking, I actually watch more Leafs/Sens games than I do Penguins games. Yet the assumption would be I know less about the Leafs just because I'm not a fan?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've never really understood the assumption that if you're not a fan of a team, you clearly never watch them play. I'm a Penguins fan who lives in the Leafs/Sens region. So, technically speaking, I actually watch more Leafs/Sens games than I do Penguins games. Yet the assumption would be I know less about the Leafs just because I'm not a fan?
I agree. It's easier to discount people's opinions that way subscribing to that notion though. Personally, I've watched 15+ Leafs games this season (as well as a lot of other Eastern teams too) because I enjoy good hockey and being on the west coast, the games start at a time that align well with my viewing habits. I know it's tougher for Eastern fans to get a good grasp on the Western teams because most of the games begin around 9 or 10 pm and don't end until after midnight, which is understandable. Though I'm sure a decent amount of people have the flexibility to be able to watch.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
It's hiliarous how you completely missed my point, and my comment had nothing to do with dismissing the non Leafs player here.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m as critical as anyone when it comes to Matthews in certain ways, but he’s better than Draisatl by a considerable margin.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The poster I quoted is one of the biggest Leafa basher on this site so I doubt he's wasting his nights watching a team he dislikes, and if he was I'm sure he's going to be completely unbiased when talking about them..

Also yea, you're not going to care as much and be emotional invested in a team when it's not your favorite team even if you watch them more. I'm sure you don't care and pay attention as much when you watch Leafs games vs Pens games.

Reactions: authentic

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
As an Oiler fan I have absolutely no clue why you made this thread. It's not really that close between the two of them. Maybe after AM gets $12m a season this would start to be more of a debate only in the sense of value but in terms of the player themselves AM >> Drai.

At the same time, it's pretty sad to see all these Leaf fans coming in flocks to generalize all Oiler fans by one guys post. It's also pretty sad to see them say Drai failed to centre his own line and Matthews carries his own line because they have absolutely no idea what roster management is. With any competent GM, Drai is a stud #2C centering his own line. The problem is, we only have 3 good forwards and the "other" good guy always plays with McDavid (RNH) while Draisatl plays with guys that would be 4th liners on most teams. Connor Brown, Hyman, Andreas Johnsson, Kapanen the list goes on, every single one of them is better than any winger Drai has EVER got to play with on his own line.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The poster I quoted is one of the biggest Leafa basher on this site so I doubt he's wasting his nights watching a team he dislikes, and if he was I'm sure he's going to be completely unbiased when talking about them..

Also yea, you're not going to care as much and be emotional invested in a team when it's not your favorite team even if you watch them more. I'm sure you don't care and pay attention as much when you watch Leafs games vs Pens games.

One could argue you can analyze a game more objectively when you AREN'T emotional toward one team involved. I'm not going to let emotions blur my judgement if the Leafs get scored on, because I don't care that they just got scored on. So I can take a neutral view to breakdown the cause of how that goal occurred without emotion swaying my view of the play leading up to it.

I mean, if you've got two people watching a hockey game. One is a neutral observer, one is the parent of one of the players. Which one do you think would be more capable of giving an objective analysis of how that player played? The neutral observer who doesn't care either way if the player does well or not, or the parent who probably thinks their kid is the next Gretzky?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Yeah, not close tbh. Matthews can control the play on his own line. I like Drai, but a one-two punch of McDavid and Matthews would have been absurd.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
One could argue you can analyze a game more objectively when you AREN'T emotional toward one team involved. I'm not going to let emotions blur my judgement if the Leafs get scored on, because I don't care that they just got scored on. So I can take a neutral view to breakdown the cause of how that goal occurred without emotion swaying my view of the play leading up to it.

I mean, if you've got two people watching a hockey game. One is a neutral observer, one is the parent of one of the players. Which one do you think would be more capable of giving an objective analysis of how that player played? The neutral observer who doesn't care either way if the player does well or not, or the parent who probably thinks their kid is the next Gretzky?

Yes, I'm sure Leafs bashers are the neutral observers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad