Matthews v Svechnikov

Auston or Andrei?

• Total voters

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I'll admit this is to help me with a potential trade in a keeper pool, but...who will be the better player going forward?

Would have never thought I'd consider the two even remotely comparable, but Svech is having a huge year

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Svechnikov is an awesome young player but this isn’t close for me. He’s having a down year but Matthews can be a top3-5 player in the league, imo. Svechnikov doesn’t quite have that potential for me

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Toronto fan here. This notion "center > winger" is a complete bullshit especially when it comes down to a defensive aspect of the game. Funny enough I won't be surprized if Svech in his prime will end up being a better defensive player than Matthews despite being a winger. That said, I see Matthews have more goals and a bit better goalscorer while Svech better all around offensive stat.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Points/gpPoints/gpGoals/gpGoals/gp
MatthewsSvechnikovMatthewsSvechnikov
D+128th237th4th145th
D+221st14th2nd26th
D+321st 7th
D+416th 5th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Matthews has been slowly improving his point production, but will most likely remain in the 10-25th range going forward. And has remained a top ~5ish goalscoring all the way through.

Whereas Svechnikov took a huge leap from last year in both goals and points, where he was worlds apart from Matthews, and the 30 game sample size this year is nowhere near enough for anyone to rationally say Svechnikov is the winner here.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Matthews but it's pretty close. Too bad Svech plays only 16 min per game (at least he's not buried on the fourth line as it was an year ago) and is always saddled with 2 grinders.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Svech is typically saddled with Jordan Staal, whose offensive game is just a notch above nonexistent.
I do think its Matthews but Svech should be playing with Aho and TT.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Toronto fan here. This notion "center > winger" is a complete bull**** especially when it comes down to a defensive aspect of the game. Funny enough I won't be surprized if Svech in his prime will end up being a better defensive player than Matthews despite being a winger. That said, I see Matthews have more goals and a bit better goalscorer while Svech better all around offensive stat.

Centres have more defensive responsibilities than wingers. That’s a simple fact.

Now in this particular case, Matthews is one of the worst defensive centres in the league. So being a centre doesn’t offer him any benefit over Svechnikov.

So it’s fair to simply compare their offensive games. But trying to argue that centres and wingers are equal in their responsibilities is inaccurate.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Matthews right now. The guys never never been anything less than a 40 goal pace guy since hes came into the league.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
People forgetting Matthews is still having a pretty good year still has a much better overall track record lets see if Svech can keep it up for the whole season.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Its Matthews right now.

Svechnikov hasnt proven enough to sway me. He is off to a hot start but until he has multiple ppg seasons like Matthews I am not comfortable choosing him.

Hard to tell for the future. Both have potential to be top 5 players at their respective positions.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews. He has the more proven track record. Having said that I’ve liked Svechnikov’s all round game this year better than Matthews. Svech seems to play hard every night and not take nights off. But I need to see him to do this for a whole season first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad