Matthews stats away from Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Matthews and Marner were split up for 12 games in Nov, and they've been apart for another 12 games due to Marners injury.

These are Matthews stats with and without Marner:

Total even strength stats 2024: 47 goals 23 assists 70 points
Even strength without Marner: 24 games: 19 goals 13 assists 32 points
Even strength with Marner: 50 games: 28 goals 10 assists 38 points

Does Marner and Matthew's really not have as much chemistry as some suggest?

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Matthews and Marner were split up for 12 games in Nov, and they've been apart for another 12 games due to Marners injury.

These are Matthews stats with and without Marner:

Total even strength stats 2024: 34 goals 21 assists 55 points
Even strength without Marner: 24 games: 19 goals 13 assists 32 points
Even strength with Marner: 50 games: 15 goals 8 assists 22 points

Coincidence or does Marner and Matthew's really not have as much chemistry as some suggest?
I think he has more than 34 EV goals this year.

Reactions: Coffey

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Historically Matthews has scored more with Marner on the ice than without, but it’s not really an appreciable difference. Matthews would score with anyone, but to some degree playing with better talent is always going to help you.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'd be curious about Matthews-Nylander stats...Marner is a good player but there is more of a shot threat with Nylander than with Marner, feel like it benefits both Matthews/Nylander.
Matthews has played 24 games without Marner. I believe 12 of those games were with Nylander. Those stats being.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Splitting up Matthews and Marner a few years ago wasn't a success
Matthews is great with or without Marner.

Come play-off time Matthews is better off without Marner on his line.
The team would better off to split up the bromance.
But Mitchy might pout if Keefe does that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Your numbers are wrong and also when he isn't with Marner, he's been with Bertuzzi + Domi

So the question you should ask it, is Matthews + Marner + Knies better/equal/worse than Matthews + Bertuzzi + Domi

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Matthews is great with or without Marner.

Come play-off time Ide be willing to bet Matthews is better off without Marner .
The team would better off to split up the bromance.
But Mitchy might pout if Keefe does that.
In the past 3 playoffs, Matthews+Marner has been a fair bit better on the ice than Matthews without Marner.

Marner without Matthews also has pretty bad numbers, which would also be an argument against separating the two.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Your numbers are wrong and also when he isn't with Marner, he's been with Bertuzzi + Domi

So the question you should ask it, is Matthews + Marner + Knies better/equal/worse than Matthews + Bertuzzi + Domi
Second most usage according to moneypuck is Matthews, Nylander and Knies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'd be curious about Matthews-Nylander stats...Marner is a good player but there is more of a shot threat with Nylander than with Marner, feel like it benefits both Matthews/Nylander.
Matthews has played 24 games without Marner. I believe 12 of those games were with Nylander. Those stats being: even strength 12 games 11 goals and 17 points (taken from espn gamelogs when Mar er and Matthews were split, not positive if all mins were just Nylander)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Edit: Sort by team and forwards and slider bar for minutes, moneypuck doesn’t carry all of link forward

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Splitting up Matthews and Marner a few years ago wasn't a success
Think that was more because Tavares and Marner despite their 2019 season have struggled together in the postseason. Possibly because both lack high end speed. That'd just speculation on my part, not sure what advanced stats say.

Why is this on the main board? No one besides Leafs fans care.
Curious to see main board thoughts on Marner and Matthew's to eliminate bias on the Leaf board.

• Haha
Reactions: Neil Racki

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In the past 3 playoffs, Matthews+Marner has been a fair bit better on the ice than Matthews without Marner.

Marner without Matthews also has pretty bad numbers, which would also be an argument against separating the two.
play off series record of 1-7 .....
suggests it would be wise to spread them out.
Matthews drives first line
Nylander drives second line
Marner drives third line
reunite for powerplays.

Penguins won 9 straight series and 2 Cups doing same with
Crosby
Malkin
Kessel

Not that the Leafs could win a cup.....but they might get by the second round for the first time in over 20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad