Proposal: Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Worth it for Arizona no doubt, they could make such a story of the home town boy returning home. It would be very important for stability of the team and should improve ticket / merchandise sales significantly.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To save us all from playing psychologist and trying to tell one another why Auston Matthews would or wouldn’t sign an offer sheet with Arizona, the likelihood that A) Arizona would actually make this move, given their financial situation, and B) Toronto would not immediately match is so low that it’s not even worth talking about.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
But would they? They have Tavares locked up for 7 years so the need for a franchise 1C isn't there anymore.

They'd get, what, 5 first overall draft picks or some such in return. And of course, wouldn't have to pay a 16mil salary.
I still think they would match on principle, in fact, the only way I see them not matching is if a trade is worked out under threat of matching.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Or Arizona offers him 1 year offersheet (at whatever amount), he accepts, Toronto matches and a year later he's a FA and can sign for them with no compensation.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
I still think they would match on principle, in fact, the only way I see them not matching is if a trade is worked out under threat of matching.
I agree.

Only other way they don't match is if they already painted themselves in a corner with Nylander and Marner contracts.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
To save us all from playing psychologist and trying to tell one another why Auston Matthews would or wouldn’t sign an offer sheet with Arizona, the likelihood that A) Arizona would actually make this move, given their financial situation, and B) Toronto would not immediately match is so low that it’s not even worth talking about.
I think an offer sheet might be worth it from Arizona.

The money and buzz they would get in the market would be huge, it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for the organization.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Or Arizona offers him 1 year offersheet (at whatever amount), he accepts, Toronto matches and a year later he's a FA and can sign for them with no compensation.
After one year he would still be an RFA, no? I think the idea of a 4 year offer in the OP is that, even if Toronto accepted it, it would make Matthews a UFA at the end of the contract rather than Toronto locking him up for 8.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The Coyotes cannot bully Toronto financially. Nobody can bully Toronto financially. You're not allowed to write poison pill contracts offering a $1m bonus every game the ambient temperature outside the arena is less than 70 degrees, which is the only way Arizona could pull this off.

The Coyotes are also the last team that needs to give up four 1st round picks. Clayton Keller scored 65 points last year and earned $900,000 on his ELC. The Coyotes need way more of that, not less.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
After one year he would still be an RFA, no? I think the idea of a 4 year offer in the OP is that, even if Toronto accepted it, it would make Matthews a UFA at the end of the contract rather than Toronto locking him up for 8.

I don't know, I thought when a player signs an offer sheet he becomes UFA at the contract end.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Smart GM would take the first rounders with Tavares and Marner.

Over $10 mil is 4 1sts, plus your own team 4 1sts in the same years would have 8 1st round picks scattered through 4 years.

Easy built elite team at low dollars!
Hockey wise your theory makes sense but there's fan politics involved. Leaf fans would go ape and they would go from having an elite centre to four 1st round picks that hypothetically could be mid to late 1st rounders.

Also, you want to be a GM that protects your assets.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

No player can make over a certain amount (%) of the cap, I believe it’s 20%. The TML don’t have an issue with cap space this year and I’m pretty sure they will attempt to sign both Marner and Matthews before July 1 next year.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
The Coyotes cannot bully Toronto financially. Nobody can bully Toronto financially. You're not allowed to write poison pill contracts offering a $1m bonus every game the ambient temperature outside the arena is less than 70 degrees, which is the only way Arizona could pull this off.

The Coyotes are also the last team that needs to give up four 1st round picks. Clayton Keller scored 65 points last year and earned $900,000 on his ELC. The Coyotes need way more of that, not less.
Is Keller selling out the arena? Are Keller jerseys flying off the shelf?

Coyotes need to become more entrenched in the market more than anything else. Signing Matthews gives them a legit shot at that.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
But would they? They have Tavares locked up for 7 years so the need for a franchise 1C isn't there anymore.

They'd get, what, 5 first overall draft picks or some such in return. And of course, wouldn't have to pay a 16mil salary.

Since when has a team let a guy like Matthews go because they already had a franchise C? Should Pittsburgh have let Malkin walk because they already had Crosby? lol

If course the Leafs want to keep both, especially the one who is only 20yrs old. Tavares is a luxury signing, Matthews is the franchise.

Reactions: GatorDave

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If I were AZ, I’d offer $10,000,000 for Matthews. Toronto most likely signs it, but it makes you get in cap hell if that’s the case. Would be very difficult to sign Nylander, Marner and other UFA’s in the near future. Short term Toronto is fine, long term they won’t be.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
By the talk around here lately, you'd think that offer sheets were a very reasonable move that should happen quite often.

I also wouldn't give up Matthews for four 1sts. Trading your best player for four lesser players is rarely a good idea, and the chances that anyone drafted at that spot even approaches his impact is rather low. That's also ignoring that Arizona would be on the fast track to becoming a quite solid team with him on board, so you'd likely deal with mid- to late 1sts where the chance that you even get an NHLer starts to shrink rapidly.

If I were AZ, I’d offer $10,000,000 for Matthews. Toronto most likely signs it, but it makes you get in cap hell if that’s the case. Would be very difficult to sign Nylander, Marner and other UFA’s in the near future. Short term Toronto is fine, long term they won’t be.
What? Leafs would love to sign that deal, that's pretty much the floor of what is expected for him. And, as has been shown many times by now, the cap consideration you speak of doesn't really exist. There's plenty of room to get everybody important signed. They probably can't keep Gardiner. That's it.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Max contract (16 mil-ish per season) over four years.

Leafs would have to match...?

Worth it for Arizona?
... wait is this the first time this has ever been discussed on here? Matthew to Arizona???!? This is surely a first!

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Sure, always a wise move for one of the most cash strapped teams to piss off one of the richest...that will likely end well.
Are the Leafs able to pay more than 20% to Matthews?

The Coyotes and Leafs play in the same league so they have to abide by the same rules, 20% of the cap is the maximum salary a player can make.

Lets say Matthews on an on ice cap value of 8 million dollars, if the Arizona market gets charged up if the Coyotes are able to acquire Matthews it could easily make up the 8 million difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad