Speculation: Matthews line with a powerforward. Who?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Who's the powerforward among Pastrnak Bergeron Marchand?

Because Nylander is leagues better than Johnsson, that should be pretty obvious. Mikheyev and Johnsson is the obvious swap, not getting Mikheyev to play on his off-wing so you can break up our best performing duo because someone on the internet made you upset.

Bergeron.

Reactions: mclaren55

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Let me get this straight.

1.) Nylander is overpaid.

2.) Even though he isn't worth 7 mil, it is still a requirement he produce like an elite 10 mil player otherwise we hate him.

3.) Number 2 isn't good enough. We require point per game plus a power forward role because instagram pics revealed this dude is jacked. No other player in his tier needs to meet this requirement. Only Nylander, otherwise we hate him.

Who is the post for?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So just to be clear, Bergeron falls in the Clark/Iginla/Lindros category for you? The guy with a career high of 77 hits in a season and averages 1 hit every 2 games, that guy?
There is no PWF on that line. Just 3 skilled guys that can score + assist, play with aggression, forecheck or rush and play in all 3 zones.

something our guys can’t do. That’s pretty much it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There is no PWF on that line. Just 3 skilled guys that can score + assist, play with aggression, forecheck or rush and play in all 3 zones.

something our guys can’t do. That’s pretty much it.

I'm just trying to drill down to the core of why someone would make a thread as stupid as this one. He doesn't even seem to understand what a powerforward is or how they play, it's sad.

I've seen our top guys individually do it in spurts, just never all at the same time, and never for longer than a handful of games.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think it would be awesome to add a true left wing power forward to that line similar to the great islander line of
Gillies Trottier and Bossy
A true big and strong left winger would greatly improve that line and our team ..
One of the challenges in today’s game is that there are lines made up of 2 player , duos instead of combining the 3 players that make up a true dominate line ..

Grit

Everyone on the Trottier line would be grittier than everyone on the Matthews line.

When it comes to grit: Johnsson 194 lbs. > Matthews 220 lbs. > Nylander 196 lbs.

If anyone lacks grit on that line you'd have to look at Matthews, probably plays smaller than the other two even though he has 25 lbs. on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I'd be okay with LH-LH-RH, on the Matthews line.
Mikheyev-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Shore

I do like Timashov though.

Yeah, it's going to be difficult to scratch someone. I would like a Moore-Gauthier-Timashov line but guessing we need another C in Shore that can take face offs as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Matthews line has been by far the teams best 5v5 line -i dont see what the big drive is to change it up?

That said, if they want more aggression on the line just add Hyman back when hes healthy.

Reactions: Kiwi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No you're right. He stays on the perimeter and runs his fingers through his hair as a he does yet another sublime zone entry.

So there's 2 kinds of players then, perimeter players and power forwards? And in the powerforwards category you have Bergeron with one hit every 2 games throughout his career and a career high of 77 hits in a season.

:laugh:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Matthews line has been by far the teams best 5v5 line -i dont see what the big drive is to change it up?

That said, if they want more aggression on the line just add Hyman back when hes healthy.

I wouldn't do that, why break up something that works? The Matthews line definitely works

I also think Tavares and Marner need Hyman more than Matthews and Nylander as well

When did you get bumped up to Mod Menzinger? Congratulations and I for one welcome my new moderator overlord :laugh:

Reactions: IPS and Menzinger

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The answer to a power forward for the Leafs won't come from the active roster, it will have to be from the Marlies. Korshkov, Archibald, Marchment (when he returns), Elynuik etc.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
So there's 2 kinds of players then, perimeter players and power forwards? And in the powerforwards category you have Bergeron with one hit every 2 games throughout his career and a career high of 77 hits in a season.

:laugh:

No.

What are you doing in this thread? Trying to indict someone? You don't know a lot about hockey, but you sure know how to press people into subscribing to your opinion. If you want to spend your life legitimizing your Nylander Leafs Jersey purchase then do it elsewhere. We don't agree on the same thing. So what?

None of the kids on this site know how to let things be. They just want opposing opinions eliminated. I even believe that they gather signatures, pressuring sponsors, and create special interest groups just to have the title of this thread changed.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No.

What are you doing in this thread? Trying to indict someone? You don't know a lot about hockey, but you sure know how to press people into subscribing to your opinion. If you want to spend your life legitimizing your Nylander Leafs Jersey purchase then do it elsewhere. We don't agree on the same thing. So what?

None of the kids on this site know how to let things be. They just want opposing opinions eliminated. I even believe that they gather signatures, pressuring sponsors, and create special interest groups just to have the title of this thread changed.

We don't agree on Bergeron being a powerforward like you said he was. I just want to understand how someone thinks the way you do. I know for the rest of us we watch what actually happens on the ice and form opinions, but it's clear that's not what you do. Maybe your way of believing things is better and I'm not taking advantage of it.

Maybe I'm the dumb one for not believing someone gathered signatures, pressured sponsors, and created special interest groups to have the title of the dumbest thread on the board changed.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I wouldn't do that, why break up something that works? The Matthews line definitely works

I also think Tavares and Marner need Hyman more than Matthews and Nylander as well

When did you get bumped up to Mod Menzinger? Congratulations and I for one welcome my new moderator overlord :laugh:

I disagree. Why does it work? Because it follows all the possession numbers worth bragging about? What about the team? What about wins? Maybe one line works, but what about the team? I do see your point, but can we be better? Can this line that works do well against teams in the playoffs? Can there be a better balance? I say no. Not yet anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad