Confirmed with Link: Matthews confirms he hates the Bruins

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Last summer after Tavares was signed, Dubas and Shanny should have sat all three down and said this. We have 28 Million allotted for the three of you. We don’t want each and every one of you become a Free Agent on the same year so we will stager the deals. We will also make each of these contracts Lockout proof and offer each 25 million in bonus money within the first 12 months. We will make it 90% plus in bonus money. Lastly we are ready to name a new captain, Matthews by committing to Toronto this deal comes with a C. This is why we are going to an 8 year max with you. Morgan is an alternate and so will Marner.

This is what we believe you should each make based on league com-parables plus inflation:
Matthews 11x8
Marner 9x7
Nylander 8x7

Understand this is all the money we are going to spend on these contracts. We will not give 90%+ signing bonus contracts and upfront 25 million dollar loaded deals like after this stage. Each of you want to ask for more look to the person on your left, look to the person on your right, you will be taking from them. The question is do you want this to be part of something special and compromise a little (like JT did) to play for the greatest hockey town in the world, play prime time on HOC, make millions in endorsements and be loved by millions or do you want to squabble over what will likely be a few hundred thousand each? Walk out...

I like your idea but don't tell them what they're worth. Put each of them on separate locations on an island armed only with a Bowie knife and a map to three separate flags worth the contracts you describe. "Who wants it more boys?"

Reactions: TML Dynasty

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Who does get handed the cup the first if there is no captain? Curious?

I would assume Rielly but only because he's the longest standing vet who is captain material on the team at this point. So the choice is obvious without necessarily being an endorsement for him to be captain, Or I guess you could just pick whoever gets an award the the Conn Smythe.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
You wouldn’t take a penny less than you could, if you had the choice. Pipe down.

By all accounts, McDavid did though. Guys like Pasternik and Aho seem to have accepted a reasonable offer and are quite happy with them even knowing a few more dollars could have been squeezed out. Be honest, we're all a little disappointed things have played out the way they have with the Big 3.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I would normally agree in a non-competitive non-important market, but if I was in Toronto/Montreal and the team was competitive, taking a discount would be more of an investment. Being the face of a cup win in those towns would open doors an extra million couldn't.

Yep, I've said it many times. When you're 65 years old looking back on your accomplishments in your hockey career, what situation would make you happier:

$60M in career earnings, No Stanley Cup victory.
$50M in career earnings, Stanley Cup victory.

For me the answer is obvious.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
By all accounts, McDavid did though. Guys like Pasternik and Aho seem to have accepted a reasonable offer and are quite happy with them even knowing a few more dollars could have been squeezed out. Be honest, we're all a little disappointed things have played out the way they have with the Big 3.
Yep, I've said it many times. When you're 65 years old looking back on your accomplishments in your hockey career, what situation would make you happier:

$60M in career earnings, No Stanley Cup victory.
$50M in career earnings, Stanley Cup victory.

For me the answer is obvious.
Pastrnak pretty much took what was a decent deal for what he had achieved at the time.

I don't think your example works either, as you might easily sit there with $60M and two cups compared to $50M without one. Switch the perspective, and I think it's closer to a decision between:

$60M career earnings, 10% chance of a Cup.
$50M career earnings, 15% chance of a Cup.

And even that is generous, given what an extra ~$1M in cap space can get you.

Reactions: Menzinger

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Pastrnak pretty much took what was a decent deal for what he had achieved at the time.

I don't think your example works either, as you might easily sit there with $60M and two cups compared to $50M without one. Switch the perspective, and I think it's closer to a decision between:

$60M career earnings, 10% chance of a Cup.
$50M career earnings, 15% chance of a Cup.

And even that is generous, given what an extra ~$1M in cap space can get you.

That's a good point.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Unfortunately I think McDavid is a bit of a cautionary tale for this generation. He took less than he could have with a max term and look where he is now. His financial sacrifice and talent has thus far been wasted and he's committed to them for 7 more years.

Reactions: kb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Unfortunately I think McDavid is a bit of a cautionary tale for this generation. He took less than he could have with a max term and look where he is now. His financial sacrifice and talent has thus far been wasted and he's committed to them for 7 more years.

Maybe he likes Edmonton?

$100mm, before endorsements. He doesn't rely on local car dealerships for his endorsements :laugh:

Maybe he pulls a Luck and retires before he hits 30.

No one can predict what's going to happen in the NHL, he might be like Raymond Bourque or he could win several without moving.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You wouldn’t take a penny less than you could, if you had the choice. Pipe down.

No true. I have taken less but I won't spare you the details, as did the captain of the Oilers and many other players. Captain's are willing to sacrifice for "their" team (see Bob Clarke). Have not seen any sacrifice from any of the 3 amigos. JT wanted to be here and took less than what the Sharks and Isles offered. He is my captain while he is here. Matty can prove he wants to be here by resigning and once JT is done, Matty can have the "C".

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If he had led by example and taken a "discount" as Shanny suggested during the Nylander negotiations and as McDavid did (as per rumours go) sure make him captain yesterday. However at this point until he gets us over the hump in the playoffs, the captain is JT IMO.

Half hater post ha. Wow

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I know people like to point that his deal left money on the table and it was squandered away by Chiapet. But...McDavid can look at himself in the mirror everyday and know that HE wasn't the reason they were crappy because he was Greedy. If Mathews leaves us in 5yrs...I would welcome McDavid to come home shortly afterwards. Even better would be to have them both on the team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I'm always kind of side-eyeing this example.
there are countless people (myself included) who took less money to work somewhere they enjoyed. i don't understand why when people question why multi-millionares can't do the same thing it's "well no one take a penny less." well. I have and i never regretted it - because it's where i wanted to be.

so yah it makes me question a lot of the players on this team who are all team "I love Toronto, I wanna Win!" yet will sit out for months to try to get their payday and hinder the team financially.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm always kind of side-eyeing this example.
there are countless people (myself included) who took less money to work somewhere they enjoyed. i don't understand why when people question why multi-millionares can't do the same thing it's "well no one take a penny less." well. I have and i never regretted it - because it's where i wanted to be.

so yah it makes me question a lot of the players on this team who are all team "I love Toronto, I wanna Win!" yet will sit out for months to try to get their payday and hinder the team financially.
But that's not really the same though. They are not taking less so they can work somewhere they would rather be. They already have the job, it's about the salary. So we would need to rephrase the question: "Would you take less for your workplace if it would help the company financially?"

Even someone who loves their job would probably hesitate to take less to ease some financial pressure, even if it would help the company as a whole.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
But that's not really the same though. They are not taking less so they can work somewhere they would rather be. They already have the job, it's about the salary. So we would need to rephrase the question: "Would you take less for your workplace if it would help the company financially?"

Even someone who loves their job would probably hesitate to take less to ease some financial pressure, even if it would help the company as a whole.
I get your point for sure but its not really the company's financial well being....its the limited pool of dollars they have to surround you with better quality 'help'? Still tangled though.

I like the point that was brought up that taking a little extra is like an investment in a market like this. (cant find the poster tho, sorry)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

No. they're actually taking a bit less - so they can achieve a championship. in Toronto, which they all claim that they want to do.

again - for me - if it mean being where i was comfortable, or saving my job (because let's be honest, in our every day situations that's probably WHY we're going to have to take a bit less) - and i liked where I was working, than hand to heart i would. If I didn't, I'd find a new job.

I do have to be very clear here, it's not like i'm against these guys making money. but we're paying these guys (and they are demanding) money - as if we won already. We haven't. i get that in prof. sports you pay on potential but there should be a time where you should pay for what you did (and your role on the team/the team in general has done. We have done nothing but we're making moves as if we're 2010 Chicago and it really bugs.

Reactions: ToneDog

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

That's not the question.

The NHL with its hard cap structure is unique. Every dollar these guys command is a dollar that can't go to their teammates. The Leafs can only spend so much on the on-ice personnel.

Demanding an extra million necessarily means there's a million that cannot go to someone else. So it's not about taking a discount to help the company financially, it's about taking a discount so the team can (theoretically) be stronger and more successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad