Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois (Round 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You can easily find bottom pairing guys cheap on the market or in free agency. Hell, chances are that Subban or Stecher or someone will pan out into that bottom pairing guy too.

Exactly. Just because Bartowski was inexplicably horrid doesn't mean all UFAs and cheap pick ups have to be. Those slots can be filled for cheap. Hell *even* Sbisa wouldn't be a bad 5-6 guy provided he played against comparable opposition rather than higher up in the order.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Exactly. Just because Bartowski was inexplicably horrid doesn't mean all UFAs and cheap pick ups have to be. Those slots can be filled for cheap. Hell *even* Sbisa wouldn't be a bad 5-6 guy provided he played against comparable opposition rather than higher up in the order.

Even if everyone plays over their head and are a successful top four, 1 injury means Sbisa is back in the top four. Polly-Annish attitude about the defense is unreal after last season. Hutton is penciled in top four in his slump season. Trymakin is top four in his rookie season. This defense needs at least two more solid answers, not more questions. It is not easy to properly fix this defense. Being hopeful big gambles pay off is not a solid strategy.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Even if everyone plays over their head and are a successful top four, 1 injury means Sbisa is back in the top four. Polly-Annish attitude about the defense is unreal after last season. Hutton is penciled in top four in his slump season. Trymakin is top four in his rookie season. This defense needs at least two more solid answers, not more questions. It is not easy to properly fix this defense. Being hopeful big gambles pay off is not a solid strategy.

Isn't every defense one injury away from playing their 5-6 guys in the top 4? I mean I know our D isn't top of the league or even top half but there are plenty of 5-6's who would look bad in a top 4 role, not just Sbisa.

And ya, our defense is a work in progress but in case you haven't noticed so is the entire team. Unless you were expecting a cup run next year I wouldn't worry too much about Benning "fixing" the defense this summer. But long term (i.e. beyond next season) Hutton and Tryamkin look very promising which, along with Tanev, gives us 3/4 of a decent looking young top 4. Not finished by any means but a good start.

At this point it's kind of unrealistic to expect much more.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Like both. Lean to Dubois.

Voted Debois on the first one now leaning to thachuk his playoff numbers are unbelievable. It is a low risk high reward pick. His game translates better than most. Luckily we get the reject of the two so no need to over think it. With Debois one of the youngest players in the draft best player in prospects game seemed to dominate in every part of the ice.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I really don't agree... Sedins are here for a good bit, Horvat can fill a 2nd line role with potential to be a #1c, we don't need to make a move like this, if we draft Dubios we got that centre man in the system, if if draft Tkachuk we still have McCann and hopefully him and Horvat can be the guys. Vancouver future D core is looking pretty bad at the moment, we need help there. We need a home run with a D prospect in the later rounds.
I'm just not optimistic that Horvat and McCann can be your legit #1 and #2 center on a contending team, and while we're all crossing our fingers that Dubois will be that 1C, he's more likely to be a winger.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know there's a lot of buzz about Tkachuk, but he's about 5'11" and 185....and having viewed a few of the highlight package goals, there's no way he's scoring some of those goals at the NHL level...still think there's a possibility Jimbo trades down to get the player he really wants -- Chychrun.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I know there's a lot of buzz about Tkachuk, but he's about 5'11" and 185....and having viewed a few of the highlight package goals, there's no way he's scoring some of those goals at the NHL level...still think there's a possibility Jimbo trades down to get the player he really wants -- Chychrun.

Everywhere I've checked he's recorded at 6'1" and 195.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Where on earth did you get those height numbers? Old measurements maybe?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=233030

He'll *absolutely* be able to score those types of goals in the NHL ... mainly because he won't have the body of an 18 year old forever. Yeesh, does nobody grow or get stronger in your world?

And where the hell did Chychrun come from? Never heard anything connecting him to Benning before.

Weird post all around.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
You can easily find bottom pairing guys cheap on the market or in free agency. Hell, chances are that Subban or Stecher or someone will pan out into that bottom pairing guy too.

Hope is not a strategy and chances are Subban is never an NHL regular. We need to invest deeply on D. If there is a market for McCann which nets us aid first (and we draft Dubois), I'd be all over that.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
If we don't get one of these guys... either because we trade down or reach for a defenseman... I will absolutely lose it.

one major bright side of tkachuk's monster playoffs (aside from probably drafting the hottest player in the chl) is that there's now an even clearer second tier with dubois/tkachuk which significantly lowers the possibility that benning will do something stupid on draft day

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I know there's a lot of buzz about Tkachuk, but he's about 5'11" and 185....and having viewed a few of the highlight package goals, there's no way he's scoring some of those goals at the NHL level...still think there's a possibility Jimbo trades down to get the player he really wants -- Chychrun.[/

lol I see hfboards.com members once again at it, this time farting out random stats.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Tkachuk has been the number one NA skater all year. I don't see how anyone has supplanted him.

I think it will take a miracle, but I hope we get him somehow.

NHL Central Scouting, Hockeyprospect, and ISS all have Dubois ahead of Tkachuk.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Would be extremely happy with both, but PLD gets my vote.

Would be extremely happy with both, but PLD gets my vote:

I'll fully admit that 4-6 weeks ago, I was completely ignorant when I made the statement (half-jokingly mind you) that it was Matthews or bust.

Whether it's PLD or Tkachuk, the Canucks are going to hit a home-run with this pick in my opinion.

Having said that, I prefer Dubois. I like the fact that Dubois is better defensively than Tkachuk and can play both LW and C. Dubois also oozes character and seems to be the far safer choice. Dubois' skating is a bit of an issue, but it's not a weakness either.

Tkachuck seems to have bigger upside, but I think the risk variance with Tkachuk is also greater. I'm also not a huge fan of Tkachuk's defensive play, but like Dubois' skating, it's not a huge liability either. For me, it's just a question of, "What's the lesser of two evils? Slightly sub-par skating or slightly sub-par defensive aptitude?" I'd go with the former. To me, Dubois reads like a better version of Bo Horvat.......perhaps a Patrice Bergeron in the making.

I prefer Dubois but will be extremely happy with either.

p.s.________________Having said all this, I'm not entirely convinced that Puljiujarvi will go #3. C's are more coveted than LW'ers and so if a team is thinking LONG TERM, they might opt to select Dubois over Puljiujarvi. At the same time, Tkachuk is having a monstrous playoff run right now and so that might sway some opinions.

Don't get me wrong - the Canucks have zero shot at Puljijarvi, but I could see Puljiujarvi NOT being selected at #3 (small chance, but kinda sorta possible in my opinion).

p.p.s._____I hate typing 'Puljiujarvi.'

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
And those are probably the only 2 London games most Canuck fans have watched. Weren't they in between series when we learned we'd be picking 5? I'd guess the majority of the first poll votes came in before any games were played/watched.

Shouldn't be all that surprising really.

I don't think it's surprising at all haha. People like to express opinions, whether they are informed or not, and that's totally allowed.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If we develop either of those 2 guys that falls to us properly, we should end up with a pretty good player either way.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
I went with PLD in the previous poll because of match between skills and future role. I assumed that Tkachuk's style of play where he controls the puck down low would work best if he also could serve as a puck hound to facilitate the cycle. His skating deficiencies would therefore loom larger than PLD's.

Is it wrong headed to think this way? I remember Matthew's father wasn't the fastest guy either, but he dominated in the clutch and grab dead puck era where his skill set was more valuable than it would be today. My two cents...

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Maybe bebause I havnt seen Dubois play and just watched Hilites .. I do have a bad feeling he has bust written all over him. I see tkachuk as a sure fire nhl player. He's just too smart.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I went with PLD in the previous poll because of match between skills and future role. I assumed that Tkachuk's style of play where he controls the puck down low would work best if he also could serve as a puck hound to facilitate the cycle. His skating deficiencies would therefore loom larger than PLD's.

Is it wrong headed to think this way? I remember Matthew's father wasn't the fastest guy either, but he dominated in the clutch and grab dead puck era where his skill set was more valuable than it would be today. My two cents...

Seems to me that clutch and grab is back in force.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I like PLD more but I think you are over-stating Tkachuk's skating "deficiencies". He is not a bad skater or even slow, he simply isn't an end-to-end burner like the top skaters. He gets around just fine and seems to have pretty good balance, edges, agility, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pull a bit of a "Horvat" in the next few years and pick up an extra step or two with added strength and training. Maybe not to the same degree Horvat did but in the same direction.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Leaning towards Tkachuk. I remember reading suggestions that his production was at least in part the result of his linemates. Looking at his history he has almost always been a 1.00 PPG player or better in his career (USHL, WJC 17/18/19, USDP) and as far as I can tell, his production in those leagues was comparable to some fairly good US-born NHL players.

I suspect he won't be available by the time we pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad