NFL: Matthew Slater retiring

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He should be HOF down the road, great career.
He's an elite Special Teams player. I would guess he would get in if Steve Tasker gets in.

He found a niche and had a long career. Like being a LS but a gunner on either side, plus on kickoffs (but not a returner).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's an elite Special Teams player. I would guess he would get in if Steve Tasker gets in.

He found a niche and had a long career. Like being a LS but a gunner on either side, plus on kickoffs (but not a returner).

With Devin Hester going in, Steve Tasker is just a matter of time before he gets to go in.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With Devin Hester going in, Steve Tasker is just a matter of time before he gets to go in.
Just personally, easier to see Hester get in because he's a game changer. You don't leave for the bathroom/concessions when he was out there to receive a kick.

But, you're not sitting down saying, Slater/Tasker is on the return team (but won't touch the ball), better watch this coverage/return from them.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
By far the most overrated player in NFL history.

Good lord the accolades for a fricken gunner are ridiculous. HOF? Are you kidding me? Can you imagine all of the actual football players who have been held out thinking all they had to do was hustle on special teams and that gets them into the hall. Give me a frickrn break.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
By far the most overrated player in NFL history.

Good lord the accolades for a fricken gunner are ridiculous. HOF? Are you kidding me? Can you imagine all of the actual football players who have been held out thinking all they had to do was hustle on special teams and that gets them into the hall. Give me a frickrn break.

Agree 100%

Slater was one of Belichick’s pets in New England so of course he was going to have a job for life as long as Belichick was still there. ZERO surprise that as soon as Belichick is gone, so is Slater.

I don’t agree with Hester getting into the HoF but at least he was a game breaking returner who could play of defence and a bit on offence.

Now we’re going to celebrate a guy who wasn’t good enough for anything other than kick coverage? And even with all the new rules against wedge blocking etc Slater wasn’t nearly as good as Steve Tasker was on coverage.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agree 100%

Slater was one of Belichick’s pets in New England so of course he was going to have a job for life as long as Belichick was still there. ZERO surprise that as soon as Belichick is gone, so is Slater.

I don’t agree with Hester getting into the HoF but at least he was a game breaking returner who could play of defence and a bit on offence.

Now we’re going to celebrate a guy who wasn’t good enough for anything other than kick coverage? And even with all the new rules against wedge blocking etc Slater wasn’t nearly as good as Steve Tasker was on coverage.
Listed as a WR, and is 38. Touched the ball 3 times on Offense for 57 yards. 1 reception as a WR.

Good for him for carving out a long career in the NFL. But, I agree on the HoF talk is over the top for both him and Tasker.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Belichick should’ve made sure this guy found the end zone at least once.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Belichick should’ve made sure this guy found the end zone at least once.
3 offensive touches in like 16 years in the NFL. Yeah, since he was a BB favorite surprised he didn't get a TD when Brady had that season of 50 TDs. Give the guy a fade route inside the 10 in the 4th Quarter or something.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
3 offensive touches in like 16 years in the NFL. Yeah, since he was a BB favorite surprised he didn't get a TD when Brady had that season of 50 TDs. Give the guy a fade route inside the 10 in the 4th Quarter or something.
For all we know they wanted to try in the season closer but never really got the chance. Would’ve been a good way for Belichick to show he’s not a soulless curmudgeon. He did let Flutie do the dropkick.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
slater was drafted the season after

BB should've let him do a drop kick like flutie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad