Player Discussion Matthew Puempel

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Why are the kid's tweets protected? Some social media commando must have given him some **** in the past. Too bad.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
A 4th liner not scoring for a few games. God forbid.

on this team, when healthy, he might be but pretty sure he wasnt brought here to be a 4th liner.

hes a kid known for his shot. hes got a good one.

so i guess asking him to score a few here and there is alot to ask ? im thinking. :laugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jonathan just died a little.

Also, count me among those who didn't know Jeff bleeding Toms had a hatrick.

Toms actually had seven goals that year, and apparently almost half of them in one game.

Oh, I remember that hat trick very well. Very, very, very well. We had a ****ing blast on here with it. :laugh:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Had a good game... Although it came on the PP, this kid finally seems to be driving the net looking to score.

Good on him for helping the team get two points.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Puempel is where miller was beginning of last year.. remember it was right about midsession last year miller went from 4th line tweener and had a super hot 2-3 weeks and put it together and is now a middle six-top six winger.

I think if we let puempel play he'll put it together and be better a middle six option than grabner, fast, and lindberg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll take him over Pirri, who hasn't done anything since the first few weeks.

Pirri should be the first to go when we start getting healthy. Then Hrivik I guess, even though I really like him.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
When you look at Puempel's career from Juniors, to the AHL and his brief stint in the NHL, the only time when he wasn't a goal scoring machine was when he played in Ottawa, a boring trap team known for killing young talent, on a fourth line with two enforcer bums.

Otherwise, his NHL experience so far is 5 goals in 11 games with NYR. Seems to picking up where he left off on every team in his career not named the Ottawa Senators. Not saying he turns into the second coming of Phil Kessel, but his pedigree and numbers suggest he could absolutely blossom into a Top 6 forward capable of scoring lots of goals. Excellent hands and offensive instincts, quick skater, not terrible on the defensive side (but lots of room to improve).

Honestly, I'm excited to see what he can do over a larger sample size.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I think he's been decent. A hattrick definitely helps and hopefully builds a little confidence in him to make more of a push for a spot. I don't think he has a spot on the team, though, when they're fully healthy, outside of 13th forward. I don't see him taking anyone's spot in top 9 and then Grabner-Lindberg-Fast are tough to replace with their defensive skills on the 4th.

And then there is the curious case of Hrivik. I really like Hrivik, even though he isn't getting on the scoreboard. Actually, whenever I see a Ranger battling on the boards, I hope I see #46 on the jersey because he's such a beast on board work.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think he's been decent. A hattrick definitely helps and hopefully builds a little confidence in him to make more of a push for a spot. I don't think he has a spot on the team, though, when they're fully healthy, outside of 13th forward. I don't see him taking anyone's spot in top 9 and then Grabner-Lindberg-Fast are tough to replace with their defensive skills on the 4th.

And then there is the curious case of Hrivik. I really like Hrivik, even though he isn't getting on the scoreboard. Actually, whenever I see a Ranger battling on the boards, I hope I see #46 on the jersey because he's such a beast on board work.

This is why we need to trade for a damn d-man.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
This is why we need to trade for a damn d-man.

The truth. Can't we just go Reggie Dunlop style and put a bounty out on Girardi for each opponent until someone takes us up on it? Let's start a GoFundMe page for the bounty money.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
When you look at Puempel's career from Juniors, to the AHL and his brief stint in the NHL, the only time when he wasn't a goal scoring machine was when he played in Ottawa, a boring trap team known for killing young talent, on a fourth line with two enforcer bums.

Otherwise, his NHL experience so far is 5 goals in 11 games with NYR. Seems to picking up where he left off on every team in his career not named the Ottawa Senators. Not saying he turns into the second coming of Phil Kessel, but his pedigree and numbers suggest he could absolutely blossom into a Top 6 forward capable of scoring lots of goals. Excellent hands and offensive instincts, quick skater, not terrible on the defensive side (but lots of room to improve).

It's Puempel vs. Pirri.

The battle of P-P.

Matt's supposed to have a shot. Seen flashes of it. He's a systems fit, better skater than Pirri who needs Zibby on the PP to find space.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Would not say Ottawa has killed young talent given in recent years they've found stone, Hoffman, dzingel, Pageau, and even zack smith who have all played lots of top 6 or third line roles

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Their own fans seem to think he wasn't developed properly.

Meh, sometimes players just need longer to develop, or they do not put the effort in themselves. A waiver pickup could be a wake-up call for a guy like Puempel. It could be that a change of scenery is what he needs. There are more factors to it than just him not being developed properly.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Really hope Hrivik picks up the offense because I want to keep him in the line-up so bad.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know some people really don't care about my trivial stats, but this one might be fun to share with family on New Years Eve:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I mean, he's playing about exactly as he was expected to play. Up and down and one dimensional. It's not like he was some great hockey player when we signed him.

Bingo. Bingo. So well said.

He does have value, remember Jesper Fast was a 6th round pick.

So let's see how it plays out. You hate to lose depth but I'm sure they can work something out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad