Matthew Boldy vs. Vasily Podkolzin

Boldy or Podkolzin?

• Total voters

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not going to vote simply because I haven't gotten enough exposure to Boldy this season. It wouldn't be right for me to vote until I gain a more deeper understanding of Boldy's performance in his draft +1 season. I did like his all around game throughout his draft year and he could be a good play driver someday in the NHL.

I feel both Podkolzin and Boldy have a similar storyline where people claim that they are generating tons of scoring chances, but aren't getting results.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not going to vote simply because I haven't gotten enough exposure to Boldy this season. It wouldn't be right for me to vote until I gain a more deeper understanding of Boldy's performance in his draft +1 season. I did like his all around game throughout his draft year and he could be a good play driver someday in the NHL.

I feel both Podkolzin and Boldy have a similar storyline where people claim that they are generating tons of scoring chances, but aren't getting results.
Flip the names around and I would've made the exact same post. My eyes and the stat-lines tell me very different stories about Boldy. Wouldn't surprise me if the same was true for Podkolzin.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I had them in the same grouping on my final list, think I had Boldy just a spot higher in the end (after having Pod ahead all season). I was delighted to get Podkolzin but it was a toss up for me really.

Boldy has silky skill with size & a responsible game. Pod has aggressiveness & determination (combined with skill/ability) that most young players don't. Could see this going either way.

I haven't followed Boldy at all this year, so I can't comment on his play. Seem to be in a similar spot tho. I won't vote like LB.

Reactions: wetcoast

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Pod has been producing pretty well for his age in the VHL, nothing like Boldy’s struggles in college

Reactions: Canucks LB

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boldy slightly. I'm not worried about his lack of production. He's a lot farther away from NHL ready than people thought, but has high offensive potential. He was the worst of the hyped up NTDP forwards last season. I think thats now showing in college hockey.

On the other hand, I don't think Podkolzin has a very high ceiling. I think he was over-drafted, and it shouldn't be a surprise that he's not been a big scorer with SKA. The environment doesn't help, but I don't think thats the only reason he's not had a good season for a top 10 pick.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Both should be fine. Boldy is just getting overshadowed right now in college due to the amazing freshman class coming in. Podkolzin still has amazing upside. That said, both guys probably got over drafted due to them possessing "size".

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I had Boldy ahead of Podkolzin at the draft and I stand by that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
At the draft, i probably would've taken Boldy. Right now...it's tougher to confidently stick to that, but i'll stay on that. I think it's an interesting comparison to continue to track, as i think they project as fairly similar players if they pan out. That sort of "complementary winger with size", and some fairly mediocre skating.

I feel like Boldy's slow start is marginally more concerning, because he doesn't have the excuse of being bounced around in the weird world of Russian hockey system. But with Boldy...he has the different excuse, of being an incoming young kid, in an NCAA league that in plenty of cases, can have teams that favour older "veteran" players. Both players seem to be getting a bit of the shaft in terms of real consistent, quality minutes and "opportunity". And opportunity tends to walk hand-in-hand with production.

If early trends bear out in time and neither one of them really "pans out" as a big NHL scorer, or it takes them a while to find some footing as a NA Pro...i'd have more faith in Boldy sticking around in North America as a bottom-6 grinder at least, just on the "Russian factor".

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I had them in the same grouping on my final list, think I had Boldy just a spot higher in the end (after having Pod ahead all season). I was delighted to get Podkolzin but it was a toss up for me really.

Boldy has silky skill with size & a responsible game. Pod has aggressiveness & determination (combined with skill/ability) that most young players don't. Could see this going either way.

I haven't followed Boldy at all this year, so I can't comment on his play. Seem to be in a similar spot tho. I won't vote like LB.

Pretty much this and people are overlooking that Newhook, who was taken later is probably going to be the best player of the 3.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
If Podkolzin was playing in the NCAA, he would have a lot more than 3 points. Vasili's development has been a bit of a disappointment, yes, but he's being dicked around by an odd development strategy. Boldy has just been straight-up disappointing. While Podkolzin will be one of the cornerstones of his U-20 team, likely wearing a letter and playing big minutes, Boldy wasn't even invited to camp.

At this point, I'd be more concerned with Boldy's showing, thus far, than by Podkolzin's.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
At the draft, i probably would've taken Boldy. Right now...it's tougher to confidently stick to that, but i'll stay on that. I think it's an interesting comparison to continue to track, as i think they project as fairly similar players if they pan out. That sort of "complementary winger with size", and some fairly mediocre skating.

I feel like Boldy's slow start is marginally more concerning, because he doesn't have the excuse of being bounced around in the weird world of Russian hockey system. But with Boldy...he has the different excuse, of being an incoming young kid, in an NCAA league that in plenty of cases, can have teams that favour older "veteran" players. Both players seem to be getting a bit of the shaft in terms of real consistent, quality minutes and "opportunity". And opportunity tends to walk hand-in-hand with production.

If early trends bear out in time and neither one of them really "pans out" as a big NHL scorer, or it takes them a while to find some footing as a NA Pro...i'd have more faith in Boldy sticking around in North America as a bottom-6 grinder at least, just on the "Russian factor".

If Podkolzin was playing in the NCAA, he would have a lot more than 3 points. Vasili's development has been a bit of a disappointment, yes, but he's being dicked around by an odd development strategy. Boldy has just been straight-up disappointing. While Podkolzin will be one of the cornerstones of his U-20 team, likely wearing a letter and playing big minutes, Boldy wasn't even invited to camp.

At this point, I'd be more concerned with Boldy's showing, thus far, than by Podkolzin's.

Boldy has been playing center on the third line, more of a defensive role with other solid defensive wingers. He's been getting 2nd PP time away from the point producers on BC.

Based on his stat line, yeah it's been disappointing. When I actually see him play, and what I hear from others who watch him play even more than I do, it's been very promising.

Pretty much this and people are overlooking that Newhook, who was taken later is probably going to be the best player of the 3.

Too early to tell. Newhook has been putting up more points thus far, he's also had better opportunity. He doesn't have nearly the two way game that Boldy does, so he's used more offensively in BC's top 6. Boldy also plays a far more poised game. Doesn't turn the puck over as often, makes smarter passes. Newhook is reckless, often tries to do too much, turns the puck over at the blueline.

I think Boldy has a higher ceiling and a much higher floor. Boldy will be at least a solid defensive 3C in the NHL. I can't say the same for Newhook.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Boldy has been playing center on the third line, more of a defensive role with other solid defensive wingers. He's been getting 2nd PP time away from the point producers on BC.

Based on his stat line, yeah it's been disappointing. When I actually see him play, and what I hear from others who watch him play even more than I do, it's been very promising.

Too early to tell. Newhook has been putting up more points thus far, he's also had better opportunity. He doesn't have nearly the two way game that Boldy does, so he's used more offensively in BC's top 6. Boldy also plays a far more poised game. Doesn't turn the puck over as often, makes smarter passes. Newhook is reckless, often tries to do too much, turns the puck over at the blueline.

I think Boldy has a higher ceiling and a much higher floor. Boldy will be at least a solid defensive 3C in the NHL. I can't say the same for Newhook.
I think your defense of Boldy is fair and true in that I think he's going to still be a good player. But in comparison to Podkolzin, I'm not sure it pans water. Pod is being dicked aroun actively because they want to keep him and are trying to screw him up. And when he plays, it's mostly against men and mostly like 3 minutes per game (KHL). It's not directly comparable to being placed on a third line in college.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Podkolzin only 1 goal in 3 games. I'd imagine Boldy would have much better production if he made team USA.

Instead of worrying about Pod having 1 goal in 3 games at the WJC maybe you should worry about Boldy having 1 goal in 15 games in college.

Reactions: John Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad