Prospect Info: Matthew Andonovski 2023 RD5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nothing to get too exited about here imo, but then again, that's pretty much to be expected in the 5th round.

Reactions: DJB

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brock Otten had him ranked 45th on his top 50 OHLers available list:

45. Matthew Andonovski - Defense - Kitchener Rangers
I would imagine that Andonovski gets drafted. And I would totally understand why. Good size. Strong defensive awareness. Extremely physical. Opposing forwards rarely win puck battles against Andonovski along the wall if he's able to pin/seal them. I guess my concerns stem from his mobility. He can struggle against quicker players and if I'm taking a big, physical guy with stay at home potential, I have other preferences from the OHL this year.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Super meh, another 6'2" LD with no offence or IQ.

They should be using these late picks on home run picks (very high risk of failure, but medium/high rewards if they hit certain marks), but maybe not many available since I didn't really follow this draft class with no high picks.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hockey Prospect's scouting report:

1688059828499.png

1688059869000.png

Mar 12, 2009
Physical, size, aggressive, pretty strong defensively, skating isn't too too bad. Had a horrible coach most of the year who had no defensive system. Moves the puck up ice ok, not going to produce much offense. Saw him more as a 6th-7th rounder if he were to be drafted, but as a Ranger fan I do see what he has that could potentially be worked with to mold into a stay at home defenseman bottom pair guy with bite...maybe doesn't sound sexy in terms of upside, but it is the 5th round, where teams lists open up really wide,

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah don't know anything about this guy so I am happy to be completely wrong but Roger/Romeo vibes to this pick and the org knows how well that worked out just a few weeks ago, so curious

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Yeah don't know anything about this guy so I am happy to be completely wrong but Roger/Romeo vibes to this pick, and well the org knows how well that worked out just a few weeks ago, so curious
Its different from that in the sense that Andonovski is tough and physical. He has a dimension that is projectable into the pro leagues. That's not to say that he's going to make it, but you can see a path for him.

Roger and Romeo were nothing but tall. Both unskilled, neither were particularly physical or mean either. Was hard to see any pro role for those guys right from the start.

Reactions: BondraTime

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Physical, size, aggressive, pretty strong defensively, skating isn't too too bad. Had a horrible coach most of the year who had no defensive system. Moves the puck up ice ok, not going to produce much offense. Saw him more as a 6th-7th rounder if he were to be drafted, but as a Ranger fan I do see what he has that could potentially be worked with to mold into a stay at home defenseman bottom pair guy with bite...maybe doesn't sound sexy in terms of upside, but it is the 5th round, where teams lists open up really wide,

So he'll feel right at home on the Ottawa Senators then?

mqdefault.jpg

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The probability of success for players in this draft class for the Senators is very low. If we get one regular player at any position we will be extremely fortunate. Nevertheless, I hope they all do well and defy the odds.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
0 goals in 120 games of ohl hockey.

Imagine when you were younger and played 30 games a season...imagine going 4 seasons without scoring a goal. As solid defensively as you are, do you really belong? Lol partly kidding.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sounds like he could be a useful player in Belleville in a few years. Just be big and make life easy for your netminder. There's definitely room for a guy like that.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I live in Kitchener and watched their three intra squad games they had. Andonovski really looks like he made a big step this summer. He looked confident with the puck and didn’t handle it like it was a grenade like he did last year. Last year was more of a quick get the puck out and away from his own end. Good tactic but it leads to very little offence. In camp he looked good with the puck.

Also during the one game some rookie cut through centre ice near the offensive zone blue line and absolutely got run over. Andonovski stepped up and destroyed him.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Haven’t seen him play since we drafted him but the arrow seems to be pointing up with this kid. If he can turn into a #5-6 shutdown guy with a mean streak it would be great. Anything more would be gravy

Reactions: DrEasy

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Goes to show how little many here actually know about our prospects. Lots of experts though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad