Matt Stajan

Lyons89

Aug 21, 2012
I cant help but think, would the leafs have been wise to bring stajan in as a 4th line c role, penalty killer, and mentor for the young guys. Especially in a year where we are considered a top team, having a rookie c on the 4th line is worrisome.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I cant help but think, would the leafs have been wise to bring stajan in as a 4th line c role, penalty killer, and mentor for the young guys. Especially in a year where we are considered a top team, having a rookie c on the 4th line is worrisome.
Gauthier and Lindholm have been great on the 4th line. Honestly great.

Why overpay for a washed up stajan?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I find it hard to be worried about our 4th-line C with the rest of the roster we have in place, frankly. Not to mention, Gauthier's been solid.

Reactions: BM14

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Stajan wouldn't be my first choice if we're going to change things up on the 4th line -- we're not going for the softest 4th line in the league here..

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Only so much opportunity for that 4C given what's ahead on the depth chart, and only so much cap to dedicate to that. Gauthier's looked fine enough in that role since taking over for Lindholm, who in turn has progressed into a really nice spot on the 3rd line.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seems like it is a case of "get anyone who we have heard of" instead of who is actually better.

Last time I checked, getting a veteran 4C in FA still made us have to give up a 2nd at the TDL to get an upgrade.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I loved Stajan and never thought Gauthier looked like a legit NHLer before, but Stajan is well beyond cooked, and Goat actually looks really good so far.

member 262271

If his contract expired a few years ago this might've made some sense then.

Lyons89

Aug 21, 2012
I honestly don't care if they signed him or not, but with lindholm playing 3rd line, I would be more comfortable with a veteran centering an inexperienced 4th line than gauthier. (And I know gauthier has come a long way). And I think babs would too

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I honestly don't care if they signed him or not, but with lindholm playing 3rd line, I would be more comfortable with a veteran centering an inexperienced 4th line than gauthier. (And I know gauthier has come a long way). And I think babs would too

Well Babcock is prone to making stupid decisions based on biases. It's like his biggest weakness. It's Dubas' job to limit this as much as possible by not getting those crappy players in the first place.

Stajan applies to this. Even Marleau applies, but at least he had something left in the tank, even though he was drastically overpaid for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad