Proposal: Matt Stajan

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames want to ensure they achieve the record for worst face percentage in league history and attempt to compete with the absolute worst group of centres in some time, then yes, they should Stajan.

Trading Stajan would make sense in two scenarios. Either someone on the current roster or on the farm team step up and make him redundant, or the Flames move to a rebuilding phase. Right now, they can't afford to move him, as sad as that may seem to some.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I've liked Stajan so far this year (two whole games, I know). If what I've seen is the new "Stajan 2.0" I'd honestly a) want to wait until the Flames are out of the playoff race, and b) want a return of a 1st round pick (given that Van's is likely to be very low).

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Do not want.

It's basically Lapierre or Malhotra as the return for a center who can win faceoffs. Lapierre is unpopular. Malhotra recently suffered a significant injury (eye) that permanently reduced his overall effectiveness and he is close to retirement.

I suppose there is a third option. Ryan Kesler is expected to miss the entire season. Vancouver is looking to win now. Calgary is looking to win in the future.

Stajan+Bouwmeester for Kesler+Ballard might be a good framework; it gives Vancouver a stronger roster "right now"; it makes Edler potentially tradable for someone to replace Kesler long-term; it gives Calgary a legitimate #1C who can play in all situations and is good on faceoffs, plus a solid D to fill the hole left by JBo.

The cap situation is comparable, but Kesler has four years left, Ballard three, and Bouwmeester and Stajan two each.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I've liked Stajan so far this year (two whole games, I know). If what I've seen is the new "Stajan 2.0" I'd honestly a) want to wait until the Flames are out of the playoff race, and b) want a return of a 1st round pick (given that Van's is likely to be very low).

As much as I'd love to see that, I just don't. I could see Stajan heating up and netting a 2nd + 4th, but teams will be VERY hesitant to part with their 1st's this year.

But you're right, Stajan has looked good thus far... Lets hope to see more improvement under Hartley!:nod:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It's basically Lapierre or Malhotra as the return for a center who can win faceoffs. Lapierre is unpopular. Malhotra recently suffered a significant injury (eye) that permanently reduced his overall effectiveness and he is close to retirement.

I suppose there is a third option. Ryan Kesler is expected to miss the entire season. Vancouver is looking to win now. Calgary is looking to win in the future.

Stajan+Bouwmeester for Kesler+Ballard might be a good framework; it gives Vancouver a stronger roster "right now"; it makes Edler potentially tradable for someone to replace Kesler long-term; it gives Calgary a legitimate #1C who can play in all situations and is good on faceoffs, plus a solid D to fill the hole left by JBo.

The cap situation is comparable, but Kesler has four years left, Ballard three, and Bouwmeester and Stajan two each.

I think this is bad for Van and I think they want nothing to do with another defensemen.

Something like
Stajan + Gio + Stempniak
for
Plekanecs + Emelin

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
I think this is bad for Van and I think they want nothing to do with another defensemen.

Something like
Stajan + Gio + Stempniak
for
Plekanecs + Emelin

That is the worst fataing idea i've ever seen for a trade, Gio is worth more alone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not a bad idea but Arnott is a very sheltered player last year seeing over 2 minutes of power play and no pk time I don't see how he fits in the same way Stajan does.

The Blues had arguably had the best top 9 group of forwards in the West last year. I actually watched alot of Blues games, and while Arnott is no longer the offensive dynamo that he once was, he really impressed me. He plays a smart game, responsible in his end, decent on the draw, and can provide scoring, and his size would be an absolute asset to our roster. I think he is capable of scoring more if he saw his minutes increased. I don't think he would of got an invite because with Stajan, Cervenka and Backlund, where would he play?

Anyways, if Feaster could call Arnott's agent and line up signing him to a contract in advance, I would make that move without blinking. Just don't give him a 2 year deal and I'm fine with it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Im shocked so many people responded. This is obviously a Canucks fan teasing us

But Stajan deserves some props for playing hard and given'er despite being scrutenized for being over paid

Last edited:

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Are all of you really sitting there with straight faces typing out that we can't afford to trade Matt Stajan. The problem isn't that we can't go without him, the problem is that no GM in this league will call for him or take him back as a piece in a deal. The Canucks don't want his cap hit. WE don't want his cap hit. If Feaster had any sense he would have been bought out last week

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Are all of you really sitting there with straight faces typing out that we can't afford to trade Matt Stajan. The problem isn't that we can't go without him, the problem is that no GM in this league will call for him or take him back as a piece in a deal. The Canucks don't want his cap hit. WE don't want his cap hit. If Feaster had any sense he would have been bought out last week

Our team is at 43% at faceoffs and you want to buyout the one guy that has taken more than 10 faceoffs and is above 45% Jesus we would never have the puck

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
When your team's centre depth is:

Tanguay (hasn't played centre since junior)
Backlund (never scored more than 30 points in the NHL)
Cervenka (never played an NHL game)
Stajan (has actually produced points at an NHL level and can win a faceoff)
Begin (hasn't played hockey for like two years now)
Kolanos (yeah, him)

Yet you don't appear to see the problem with trading him or buying him out?

Cool. Glad you're an optimist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad