Speculation: Matt Rupert signs with Leafs/Marlies

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Arizona announced the signing of Christian Dvorak to an entry-deal yesterday.

No announcement yet from the Leafs/Marlies, but according to Mike Stubbs, Matt Rupert was going to be joining the Marlies

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Px47r95.gif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You could see this one coming a mile away. :)

Mark Hunter formerly of the London Knights wasn't whispering sweet nothings in Matt's ear.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You could see this one coming a mile away. :)

Mark Hunter formerly of the London Knights wasn't whispering sweat nothings in Matt's ear.

I would certainly hope not.

Good to see. Ryan is clearly the superior prospect, but it can't hurt to have another gritty winger with some scoring touch.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It makes sense. I feel like this was agreed upon years ago but they wanted to keep the contract spot open. At the beginning of the season I didn't see a point having both but how Ryan is playing maybe they can turn out better than we first thought. Give him Brad Ross's spot

Razorwing

Oct 17, 2010
It was guaranteed that he would be a Marlie/Leaf.. the two Ruperts come as a package.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Always found that move to be shrewd to draft one of the brothers knowing full well nobody else would draft the other, so effectively you get two picks for one. Long shots anyway, but I get a feeling their feisty play will earn them some time in the NHL down the road.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Twins have that telepathic link going on...
Maybe they are both superior players together than they ever would be alone.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't want this to blow up into any drawn out discussions, but how do contracts work? As soon as the Leafs finished the 82 games, do the free agents come off the books right away?

So that way Rupert can sign with the Marlies? Or is he on an AHL contract?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't want this to blow up into any drawn out discussions, but how do contracts work? As soon as the Leafs finished the 82 games, do the free agents come off the books right away?

So that way Rupert can sign with the Marlies? Or is he on an AHL contract?

Contracts don't end until July 1st, but this is a ATO or PTO AHL deal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It makes sense. I feel like this was agreed upon years ago but they wanted to keep the contract spot open. At the beginning of the season I didn't see a point having both but how Ryan is playing maybe they can turn out better than we first thought. Give him Brad Ross's spot

I agreed. Ross is a RFA, doubt he is qualified. Rupert coming off back to back 30 goal OHL seasons and plays a 200 foot game with intensity.
The Ruperts and Leipsic, might be small but a lot of scrappy.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ryan's eyes are closer together. Anyway, maybe throw them on either side of Gauthier and you have an averaged sized NHL line. :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing how the two perform with each other in the lineup. It might well be that they play better with other than with others. They are a long shot to make the NHL, but I like their grit, and skill at the lower levels, it would be nice to see them in some pre season games next year to see how they fare.

horner

May 22, 2007
They will do what ever it takes to win.

I don't think Matt has any teeth left lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad