Value of: Matt Roy next contract

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You look at Detroit inflating the market with Chiarot for defensive defensemen, and Roy is Actually Good whereas Chiarot is not, so at minimum I expect Roy to be at $5M, with significant term. Then you look at someone in the Severson range, and Roy's agent is probably licking his chops. Graves got a lower AAV, but with the LTIRetirement term he wanted.

If Roy wants to sign with a good team though, I could see something like ~$5.5M x 5 years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Still hoping he likes socal a lot and wants to come play for the ducks

fingers crossed

Wouldn't be TOO shocked given he has a young child

But he's a Michigan boy thru and thru

Hard dude to get a read on as far as personality, very cool and mellow guy, doesn't rock the boat, seems loved by his teammates judging by shirts and jokes, just an ideal 2nd pairing guy, steady...him and Gavrikov were unstoppable until Gavy's knee injury, now they're a little shaky on that side, he ideally needs someone a little faster and better with the puck particularly as both dudes get older.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wouldn't be TOO shocked given he has a young child

But he's a Michigan boy thru and thru

Hard dude to get a read on as far as personality, very cool and mellow guy, doesn't rock the boat, seems loved by his teammates judging by shirts and jokes, just an ideal 2nd pairing guy, steady...him and Gavrikov were unstoppable until Gavy's knee injury, now they're a little shaky on that side, he ideally needs someone a little faster and better with the puck particularly as both dudes get older.
Zellweger, Mintyukov we got him covered.. something like

Fowler Luneau
Mintyukov Roy
Zellweger Gudas

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Hronek is stuck on $7M+, I’d easily replace him with Roy and trade Hronek for a package.

I don't know that I'd like him on a top pairing long-term, Hughes def. would cover the mobility/puck moving but I'm not sure. Could be wrong.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
San Jose ought to be in the bidding
He plays a position of need and the Sharks have plenty of space under the cap to offer up a competitive+ deal

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Ledge And Dairy

San Jose ought to be in the bidding
He plays a position of need and the Sharks have plenty of space under the cap to offer up a competitive+ deal
The Sharks aren't going to be doing anything for 4-5 years, the only contract they should be targeting this summer is Carey Price. Roy is 29 and turns 30 in just under a year. He will be on the decline before San Jose has any playoff asperations

Grinner

May 31, 2022
The Sharks aren't going to be doing anything for 4-5 years, the only contract they should be targeting this summer is Carey Price. Roy is 29 and turns 30 in just under a year. He will be on the decline before San Jose has any playoff asperations
So what? The Sharks need to bring in uound talent to shore up the D. Roy isn't someone you hope develops in a few years.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Something like 6x6mil, maybe more depending on how crazy the bidding war for him gets.

But like half the league is in need of quality RHD, and he's the best one available in the first summer where everyone finally has cap space again. He's gonna get PAID.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hoping he takes a discount to stay in Southern California.

He is a perfect fit for the Ducks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Then look for someone younger, committing 6+ years to Roy is just horrible management of your cap space
Who exactly is this younger UFA we should be targeting?

The Sharks need a real top-4 defensemen. We cannot go through another season with seven #5-7D and saddling Mukhamadullin with a terrible partner is not the way to develop him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad