News Article: Matt Petgrave arrested suspicion of manslaughter. Adam Johnson

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Point of clarification before people start celebrating this (it is absolutely gross to see this occuring):

In Britian you must be arrested before police can question you. He has NOT been charged with anything.

The BBC headline is terribly misleading which comes as no shock since the UK loves salacious shit.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Point of clarification before people start celebrating this (it is absolutely gross to see this occuring):

In Britian you must be arrested before police can question you. He has NOT been charged with anything.

The BBC headline is terribly misleading which comes as no shock since the UK loves salacious shit.

As opposed to…?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is dumb with a capital D.

I've seen the video and IMO it isn't dumb. Been watching hockey 60 years and never seen someone cross body an opponent like that skates neck high.

It's one thing to get hip checked and sent head over heels and make contact to an opponents neck. That isn't what happened. IMO he made a really bad decision to impede Johnson. I am not saying he tried to kill him but it was reckless and if what I am reading is true, that falls under manslaughter in the UK.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I've seen the video and IMO it isn't dumb. Been watching hockey 60 years and never seen someone cross body an opponent like that skates neck high.

It's one thing to get hip checked and sent head over heels and make contact to an opponents neck. That isn't what happened. IMO he made a really bad decision to impede Johnson. I am not saying he tried to kill him but it was reckless and if what I am reading is true, that falls under manslaughter in the UK.
So it sound like we are the same age?

We don't agree on much but I'm agreeing with you 100% on this.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

That's a very important point. The police are just doing their due diligence.

Regardless of what people think about intent or degree of recklessness I think Petgrave will be exonerated mainly due to Westin Michaud, the player on the bench closest to the incident, and also a teammate of Johnson. He stated:

"I need to address something about the accident. We wholeheartedly stand with Matt Petgrave. The hate that Matt is receiving is terrible and completely uncalled for. I was at ice level on the bench closest to the accident, I saw both players moving fast. The unintentional clip of the Panther player's leg by the Sheffield player caused the somersault. It's clear to me his actions were unintentional and anyone suggesting otherwise is mistaken. Let's come together and not spread unwarranted hate to someone who needs our support."

People can watch the less-than-great quality footage and debate this all day long, but Michaud's eyewitness testimony will surely be as important as anything for Petgraves' defense. I'm glad that the police are at least looking into the matter. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You mentioned that the UK loves salacious stuff and that’s why it’s not a surprise the headline is misleading.

I don’t know of any country really that doesn’t eat up salacious headlines. I wouldn’t say it’s UK specific.
The UK papers and tabloids are so much worse than here in the States. They are far more inflammatory than what we see here. It is my understanding that the laws in the UK make it very hard to sue the papers and media unless you have money.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Alicat

Officers investigating the death of Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson have made an arrest.

Detectives have today (Tuesday 14 November) arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter. He remains in police custody at this time.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
The UK papers and tabloids are so much worse than here in the States. They are far more inflammatory than what we see here. It is my understanding that the laws in the UK make it very hard to sue the papers and media unless you have money.

Yes, this is true. Their legal system is a bit different than here. However, people love to jump to conclusions.

I remember when Chara was questioned for the Pacioretty incident, the 911 calls, the calls for charges. A bit of a circus, it was.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
it was a split second decision gone wrong. he def should bw charged. his leg was recklessly and intententionally flown up there. no neck guard wouldve saved that poor man either.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
@Alicat

Officers investigating the death of Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson have made an arrest.

Detectives have today (Tuesday 14 November) arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter. He remains in police custody at this time.

I can read. The law in the UK is that in order to question someone suspected of a crime they must be arrested. He is not charged with Manslaughter as of right now. He was just arrested today so there should be zero surprises that he's still in police custody.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yes, this is true. Their legal system is a bit different than here. However, people love to jump to conclusions.

I remember when Chara was questioned for the Pacioretty incident, the 911 calls, the calls for charges. A bit of a circus, it was.
Welcome to society today. The need for instant gratification and twisting things to fit one's beliefs and predetermined talking points.

People in the US, including myself, are ignorant to way other countries judicial systems work which is why I posted what I did after reading it from reliable hockey writers.

The sass. I have no idea why you're being so hostile and defensive.

Regardless, this is a really, really shitty situation all around.
If you're talking about my comment, tag me.

What Fenway posted is no different than what the BBC put out there. The headline is misleading which is what I have an issue with. There are plenty of people who are spreading false information based on the headline alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightofBoston

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Welcome to society today. The need for instant gratification and twisting things to fit one's beliefs and predetermined talking points.

People in the US, including myself, are ignorant to way other countries judicial systems work which is why I posted what I did after reading it from reliable hockey writers.

If you're talking about my comment, tag me.

What Fenway posted is no different than what the BBC put out there. The headline is misleading which is what I have an issue with. There are plenty of people who are spreading false information based on the headline alone.
It was right after your post. You’re just coming off as confrontational, that’s all.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
So it sound like we are the same age?

We don't agree on much but I'm agreeing with you 100% on this.

Well think of all the posts you and I have had in this place and the number of
WTF was that from both of us is probably tops 10%, so we agree more than you might think.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It was right after your post. You’re just coming off as confrontational, that’s all.
I can't stand clickbait headlines and what Fenway posted was practically the same thing as the BBC.

People are reading these headlines and they think he's been charged which he has not been. It is bad enough that people can't grasp that manslaughter and murder aren't the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00