Signing(s): Matt Olson signs extension with the Braves (8 years, $168 million)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Woah.

So they got a comparable player in Olson who's younger for longer term and less money than what you would have had to give Freeman? Actually not a bad deal here.

Well played by Atlanta.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i get that freeman was the face of the franchise and all that, but olson is younger and better. can't blame them for moving on from freeman when they got an opportunity like this

braves did the right thing

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Part of being bad and acquiring a ton of prospects is using some of those to make your team better when others fill gaps. This makes a lot more sense than giving Freeman 6-7 years. Their gm did a great job making the right move and not the emotional, popular pr one.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
i get that freeman was the face of the franchise and all that, but olson is younger and better. can't blame them for moving on from freeman when they got an opportunity like this

braves did the right thing
Did have to move some legit pieces to make all this happen, though. I really think Langeliers will be one of the best catchers in the league in another 3-ish years.

Reactions: darko

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Did have to move some legit pieces to make all this happen, though. I really think Langeliers will be one of the best catchers in the league in another 3-ish years.
prospects are always a huge question mark

if sacrificing the future means you get back an elite talent and keeping your title window open, you make that move 10 out of 10 times

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
prospects are always a huge question mark

if sacrificing the future means you get back an elite talent and keeping your title window open, you make that move 10 out of 10 times

yeah, while it does happen its not teams getting burned by dealt prospects isn't that common.

I mean, when the Red Sox got Sale, media members in Boston were groaning that they'd regret trading Moncada and Kopech

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
because ownership wanted the team to suck as much as possible to justify the move to vegas
1695056956782.png

Yep...there was a plan

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Honestly so far the Freeman/Olson swap has worked out beautifully for both teams.

Freeman is still playing at an MVP level, Olson was already a good player bit hes taken a leap forward this year.

I do give Anthopolous credit for pulling that off. Its take some serious cojons to let the face of your franchise leave, especially months after winning the World Series. Didn't let emotions get in the way of what he thinks is best for the team.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Honestly so far the Freeman/Olson swap has worked out beautifully for both teams.

Freeman is still playing at an MVP level, Olson was already a good player bit hes taken a leap forward this year.

I do give Anthopolous credit for pulling that off. Its take some serious cojons to let the face of your franchise leave, especially months after winning the World Series. Didn't let emotions get in the way of what he thinks is best for the team.

It wasnt emotions, all the praise he gets the braves ownership is still cheap. They will pay a lot of money as long as its under market value.

I dont care about numbers this year and arcias production but the braves easily could have kept swanson. Baseball has no cap so the argument the team couldn't afford is a lie. At least 2 of albies, acuna, fried will not be resigned and will leave as ufa.

Reactions: Voight

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Wasn't the story that Freeman's agent royally ****ed him over and if it wasn't for him, Freeman would've stuck around in Atlanta anyway?

I thought AA was hoping to keep him around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wasn't the story that Freeman's agent royally ****ed him over and if it wasn't for him, Freeman would've stuck around in Atlanta anyway?

Theres a rumour that they offered a deal at the 11th hour that would've been acceptable to him but his former agent never told him about it and went with the LA offer (probably because it was more lucrative, so higher commission for him).

Tho I think a part of Freeman wanted to go home to SoCal so IMO signing with the Dodgers wasn't the end of the world.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony

Thats just a rumour. Freemans old agent took a lawsuit against who started that rumour and it got taken back and then his agent dropped the lawsuit.

I dont know if its true or not for sure but i believe that rumour to be false in the way it was speculated.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Contracts end in 27 so thats 4 more years. Sure they can sign them again i just dont think he will.
Oops...you're right. Albies in 27 and Acuna in 28. We'll see, but I'm not worried 4-5 years out.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Contracts end in 27 so thats 4 more years. Sure they can sign them again i just dont think he will.
4-5 years of contract security is a lifetime in sports. Braves window is clearly right now so absolutely no reason to be concerned about what's happening in 4-5 years. If players leave for more money then, so be it. Right now they have Harris, Murphy, Olson, Riley, Albies, Acuna, Strider on great deals for the next 3 to 10 years. That's a pretty insane luxury to have especially when you're looking like the best team in baseball. Deal with the future when it happens.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad