Prospect Info: Matt O'Connor UFA, not tendered qualifying offer

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Could you imagine the conversation with Melnyck "uhh, Eug, remember that goalie you hate, ummm, do you think, ahhhh, as a franchise, the thing is, ummmm, yeah forget it"

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Matt O'Connor was signed out of college, he was never drafted. I thought he would have had some value in a trade package but apparently not. Kinda sad how quickly some fall after a very promising college career & unable to make it much further. Good luck to him. Another Bochenski award?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Another free wallet turns out to be empty. Throw it on the pile with Da Costa and Butler.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Schultz has probably been the best college drafted player in recent memory.

Schultz was a 2nd round pick who bailed on the team that drafted him. Wheeler being probably the most prominent example of that type of college UFA. Very different than guys like DaCosta

Bozak, Tanev are closer to o'Connor

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Fast fall from grace for this guy.

Had a huge college career other than that final.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well he has been no Matty O ala Tony O of yesteryear

but ,,, if he gets another chance those things can change .. he has to keep at it

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Anderson, Hammond
Driedger, Hogberg
That's our stable without MOC and assuming Condon moves on.

Would have expected we keep him if only for platooning between AHL and ECHL based on injury situations.

That and I'd hoped that he could figure his game out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Schultz was a 2nd round pick who bailed on the team that drafted him. Wheeler being probably the most prominent example of that type of college UFA. Very different than guys like DaCosta

Bozak is close to O'Connor? Surprised by that comparison.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
no real goalie of the future when the sens probably had two of the best goalie prospects in hockey a few years back. well done Murray.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It be more disappointing if goalies were not easy to acquire

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You need to keep trying on these free wallets if you expect to get anything out of them. MoC is done, move on to the next one.

eQvuA10.png

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Always so much hype behind these college signings and they are always balls.

Wasn't Jesse Winchester an NCAA free agent also? Sure, there are some examples of success here and there, but your main point holds - in general, the hype around NCAA free agents is wildly out of line with what they actually deliver.

Part of it comes from their age. When we draft kids out of the CHL, they literally are still kids at 18 or 19 years old. The college free agents, on the other hand, are usually 22 or 23. Those four years are a huge difference, as the CHL player has room to mature, get bigger and faster, etc. The college free agent is now a young man and a lot closer to a finished product. O'Connor, for instance, is now 25 - it's tough to make the case that we should be patient with him for a couple more years while he takes the place of a younger prospect we could be developing...

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
But that's the thing. We don't have younger prospects behind him with the exception of Hogberg.

I'm working under the assumption Condon moves on, that leaves exactly four goalies left with only one being a bonafide prospect.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But that's the thing. We don't have younger prospects behind him with the exception of Hogberg.

I'm working under the assumption Condon moves on, that leaves exactly four goalies left with only one being a bonafide prospect.

If Condon leaves, he'll be replaced by another veteran - there are lots of veteran goalies looking for work right now, which is why Dorion is playing hardball with Condon.

After that, we will no doubt draft a goalie. That puts us back at six, and if you look around there are really only so many places we can put them. Two with the big club, two in Belleville, one in the ECHL and maybe one still in the CHL - that's it.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

I suspect they are targeting a goalie in the 1st or 2nd round

Would love them to take Michael DiPietro from Windsor

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
To bad to see this. I had high hopes for O'connor possibly being our goalie of the future. Oh well we have 28 and 45 in this year's draft. Should get a good goalie that route.

david rundblad

Apr 22, 2017

Blake Wheeler was picked 5th overall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad