Matt Murray won't be going to AHL All-Star Game...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think Murray > Jarry by a decent margin. And Fleury's only signed for 3 more seasons so it's kind of perfect timing to have someone like Murray coming along. He can back-up Fleury next year and the year after and split duties the following year. And if his development is more accelerated than that, we can flip Fleury for an asset.

All-Star games aren't great situations for the psyche and confidence of goalies anyway. Giving up 4 goals on 16 shots in a period doesn't really give anyone a boost.
If Fleury continues to play well the next few years, I think it's more likely it'd be a Cam Talbot type situation. Murray will be flipped while Jarry moves up as the heir apparent behind Fleury.

I just can't see the Penguins trading Fleury.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Fleury continues to play well the next few years, I think it's more likely it'd be a Cam Talbot type situation. Murray will be flipped while Jarry moves up as the heir apparent behind Fleury.

I just can't see the Penguins trading Fleury.

I can't either, you don't trade a goalie that has rebounded in the way that Fleury has from last season to now. He's been playing fantastic hockey, he was easily the MVP last year and is playing like the team MVP again this year unless Malkin or Crosby go into a beast mode we have never seen out of them before after the Media circle jerk 3-on-3 break.

I wish it was Zatkoff being moved in a very minor trade for some AHL depth guy and the Pens call up Murray and play him a bit more and give Fleury more games off.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I can't either, you don't trade a goalie that has rebounded in the way that Fleury has from last season to now. He's been playing fantastic hockey, he was easily the MVP last year and is playing like the team MVP again this year unless Malkin or Crosby go into a beast mode we have never seen out of them before after the Media circle jerk 3-on-3 break.

I wish it was Zatkoff being moved in a very minor trade for some AHL depth guy and the Pens call up Murray and play him a bit more and give Fleury more games off.
It's also the PR factor at play. And that doesn't just impact the Pens, though we've all heard the rumors of Morehouse interfering with trades because of PR.

But it's why the Devils couldn't move on from Brodeur or the Rangers don't want to replace Lundqvist.

Fleury has said several times he wants to finish his career as a Penguin. I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think Murray > Jarry by a decent margin. And Fleury's only signed for 3 more seasons so it's kind of perfect timing to have someone like Murray coming along. He can back-up Fleury next year and the year after and split duties the following year. And if his development is more accelerated than that, we can flip Fleury for an asset.

All-Star games aren't great situations for the psyche and confidence of goalies anyway. Giving up 4 goals on 16 shots in a period doesn't really give anyone a boost.

Good points all. Actually I don't care what level we're talking about, I don't want Penguins goal tenders actually playing in all-star games. They're all a bad joke anyway. Hockey and all-star games don't mix because it requires the defenders to do nothing and hang goalies out to dry every shift, because the leagues want a bunch of goals for the fans. Like a frickin shooting gallery / barely more entertaining then empty net slapshot contests.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I'm a little worried about this new 3 on 3 format. Unless they keep the shifts really short players are gonna be absolutely gassed out there. If Geno is dealing with an injury thats not gonna help him. Plus you have to think of all the ice they have to cover.

Its probably gonna be exciting to watch but I'm thinking the players and especially the goalies are gonna hate it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'm a little worried about this new 3 on 3 format. Unless they keep the shifts really short players are gonna be absolutely gassed out there. If Geno is dealing with an injury thats not gonna help him. Plus you have to think of all the ice they have to cover.

Its probably gonna be exciting to watch but I'm thinking the players and especially the goalies are gonna hate it.

If the players don't hit or block shots then I don't think there's much risk.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
If the players don't hit or block shots then I don't think there's much risk.

I was thinking more on the lines of overextending while skating. They will have a lot of ice to cover with only three on each side. If Malkin is dealing with some sort of nagging lower body injury that could potentially exasperate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad