Matt Murray won't be going to AHL All-Star Game...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There's a 3rd possibility, I think?

Can the team hold out a player for any reason?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why?

Fleurys not going anywhere anytime soon and Jarry is almost as, if not as, good of a prospect right behind him.

Obviously the return has to make sense but I would be open to it.

Because goalies never bring back the value they have to their teams and it would be a major kick in the nuts to see Murray become a franchise goalie with another team.

If you want to move a goalie prospect, move Jarry. The Jets aren't going to move Hellebuyck since they have Comrie in the minors.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Why?

Fleurys not going anywhere anytime soon and Jarry is almost as, if not as, good of a prospect right behind him.

Obviously the return has to make sense but I would be open to it.

Returns for Goalies aren't usually good though so i don't expect fetching equal value here.

EDIT: Empo beat me to it.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Because goalies never bring back the value they have to their teams and it would be a major kick in the nuts to see Murray become a franchise goalie with another team.

If you want to move a goalie prospect, move Jarry. The Jets aren't going to move Hellebuyck since they have Comrie in the minors.

Id agree but your already assuming they would move him for a bad return.

IMO he isn't as untradeable like Sprong/Pouliot where they are our only hope youth wise at their position. Trading Murray would be 100% about the return.

Boedker...happy dance
Hamhuis...shower crying
Prust...torches and Pitchforks

for examples

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm going to guess it's injury or some Penguins style illness. The fit I will throw if they trade him will be of biblical proportions unless it's something ridiculous like Boedker straight up for Murray and even then I'll be apprehensive about the goaltending future.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

I agree. He's probably one of the best goalie prospects out there. Is he going to bring back one of the best forward or dmen prospects around? No, not likely. And he probably doesnt have much trade value for a current nhl'er. So why bother? Heaven forbid if they trade him for a rental or old guy with term.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It's entirely possible that the Penguins are calling him up, but can't announce the move during the NHL's quiet period around the All-Star game.

So they may be calling it a maintenance day to explain his absence, pulled him from the AHL All-Star game that is Sunday/Monday so that he doesn't get hurt, and he's on his way to Pittsburgh to be Fleury's back-up for Tuesday.

A corresponding move would likely be a trade of Zatkoff, and that also can't be announced yet. So the Pens may be waiting to officially make the announcement until that's possible.

I have no information that this is actually the case. Murray could be gimpy and they just needed the locker space. But just outlining a possible scenario for him to be Pittsburgh bound.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
It's entirely possible that the Penguins are calling him up, but can't announce the move during the NHL's quiet period around the All-Star game.

So they may be calling it a maintenance day to explain his absence, pulled him from the AHL All-Star game that is Sunday/Monday so that he doesn't get hurt, and he's on his way to Pittsburgh to be Fleury's back-up for Tuesday.

A corresponding move would likely be a trade of Zatkoff, and that also can't be announced yet. So the Pens may be waiting to officially make the announcement until that's possible.

I have no information that this is actually the case. Murray could be gimpy and they just needed the locker space. But just outlining a possible scenario for him to be Pittsburgh bound.

I like the positivity, you should post more man :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

For some reason I didn't think there was a roster freeze over the allstar break? Could be wrong.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I like the positivity, you should post more man :laugh:

Hah! Well, I'd normally shrug the whole thing off as the injury/needing space scenario that has already been put out there by those who cover WBS.

However, the Penguins have a tight schedule in February and March. Fleury has played a few back-to-backs so far, but there's no way the Penguins wear him out with their February/March schedule. Zatkoff hasn't been great, while Murray was very impressive.

It'd be a bit bold for the Penguins, but with Zatkoff scuffling and both Murray/Jarry doing so well in WBS, it'd be a logical move to promote Murray to take some of the workload during the tight schedule.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
For some reason I didn't think there was a roster freeze over the allstar break? Could be wrong.

There isn't an official one like at Christmas. It's more of a gentleman's agreement since players are either at the All-Star game or they tend to take family vacations.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Murray > Jarry by a decent margin. And Fleury's only signed for 3 more seasons so it's kind of perfect timing to have someone like Murray coming along. He can back-up Fleury next year and the year after and split duties the following year. And if his development is more accelerated than that, we can flip Fleury for an asset.

All-Star games aren't great situations for the psyche and confidence of goalies anyway. Giving up 4 goals on 16 shots in a period doesn't really give anyone a boost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad