Matt Murray - unbeaten in last 9 games (2.31GAA 0.92 SV%)

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Fresh off an astounding 2 cups in his first 2 years, this guy is proving to be clutch yet again down the stretch. Yet again he is a key catalyst to the Pens recent success. Discuss.

I hope Pens fans can appreciate how legit Murray is - I know some people around here get extremely irrational about Fleury, specifically when it comes to valuing his outgoing personality/friendliness over his longstanding questionable playoff track record, etc ...

But let's face it - Murray has done more in ~3 years than Fleury has ever done. And that is just facts.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
mooseb1.jpg

Reactions: ColePens

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm done with comparing him to Fleury until their careers are over (or the random "discussions" with some old friends), but yes, he is proving that he can deliver in crunch time. Injuries and longevity are a concern, but the dude is a stud.

Reactions: SirBrad and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
if we’re talking about a penguins goaltender who else should you compare him to

All the goaltenders. Judge whether he's a good NHL goaltender or not by comparing him to all to the other NHL goaltenders.

Or don't compare him to anyone.

Either way, Murray vs Fleury is dumb and should be forgotten.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just gotta give the kid love. He came off something that could have thrown his mental status off all year. It would have been a valid excuse. Instead he digs deeper, focuses, and plays out of his mind. I'm sure the kid is still going through rough days/nights but his personal get away is clearly between the pipes.

Kudos #30.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I haven't been happy with Murray's season til recently.

He was starting to lose starts to Jarry last month.

I think that penalty shot save on Marchand turned around his season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
All i care about is right now, heading into the playoffs. And him and Hags are doing exactly what we needed them to do. Letang looks to be trending upwards too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I haven't been happy with Murray's season til recently.

He was starting to lose starts to Jarry last month.

I think that penalty shot save on Marchand turned around his season.

Or maybe, just maybe, whatever it was that ultimately ended up with his father passing was on his mind and affecting him at the beginning of the season?

That seems more logical an explanation for why a goalie who is known for his composure and calming influence didn't look so composed for much of the season, but has since returned to said composed looking form now.

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just gotta give the kid love. He came off something that could have thrown his mental status off all year. It would have been a valid excuse. Instead he digs deeper, focuses, and plays out of his mind. I'm sure the kid is still going through rough days/nights but his personal get away is clearly between the pipes.

Kudos #30.

Said it a few games ago . . . the best development over the last month has been that the Murray of the previous two years is back. Even when he has an 'off' night, he's making the money saves when you need them.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's good that he is playing better lately but he has sucked for the year overall. People would be eviscerating Maf if he was still here and putting up the numbers MM has.

I still really believe in him as a player though and I am assuming a combination of Cup hangover + losing his Dad has caused more than a little negatives for his play. I think next year he'll be back to his normal 920 save % self.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Or maybe, just maybe, whatever it was that ultimately ended up with his father passing was on his mind and affecting him at the beginning of the season?

That seems more logical an explanation for why a goalie who is known for his composure and calming influence didn't look so composed for much of the season, but has since returned to said composed looking form now.

I'm just judging him by his play on the ice.

I have no idea if something was going on with his father or it was a sudden death.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad