Rumor: Matt Moulson to be loaned to the Ontario Reign if he doesn’t make the Sabres

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
all players under contract are invited to camp unless suspended by the NHL or the team. If they did not invite him they would be in foul of the spirit of the CBA--in MM case it is just do not bother coming to our camp

I did not know he had to be invited to camp. Thanks for sharing that.

I wonder if it was just a mutual thing then, or what.

I mean, obviously Moulson had to know that buffalo had no intention of having him on the team this year since they gave Rasmus Dahlin his number about 2 minutes after Dahlin was drafted... lol.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No joke, this would be a good option for the Leafs to get a potential value winger if Buffalo was willing to retain half his salary. Cap penalty if they bury him then would only be $1.4m and he can be loaned to Ontario again. But Tavares has propped him up once before. Who's to say it couldn't happen again?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No joke, this would be a good option for the Leafs to get a potential value winger if Buffalo was willing to retain half his salary. Tavares has propped him up once before.

No he wouldn't. He's slow and old. Even at half his salary he'd cost us $2.5m on the cap hit. There are way better players available for less.

He's a better deal for Arizona so they can get a cap hit of $5m and only pay him $2m.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No he wouldn't. He's slow and old. Even at half his salary he'd cost us $2.5m on the cap hit. There are way better players available for less.

He's a better deal for Arizona so they can get a cap hit of $5m and only pay him $2m.
What does his cap hit have to do with anything? The Leafs have one of the lowest payrolls in the league this year. Their cap worries start next season. The Leafs could probably get a small bonus taking him off of the Sabres hands this year.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Moulson is a good example how short career and prime is. It took him long to be in show and he had four great season (3x30 goals and 44 points in 47 games.) After those his decline started.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I did not know he had to be invited to camp. Thanks for sharing that.

I wonder if it was just a mutual thing then, or what.

I mean, obviously Moulson had to know that buffalo had no intention of having him on the team this year since they gave Rasmus Dahlin his number about 2 minutes after Dahlin was drafted... lol.

I forget how it works--but a team just can not tell a player not to come to camp for no reason. If he is suspended by either the team or the NHL--then I believe they do not have to do it. The fact he is already on the ice with the Kings minor team tells me that they have an agreement in place

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'll give Moulson some kudos. He was an excellent mentor for the Kings AHL prospects last year. Played hard, always talking with officials on the ice, was involved in all the scrums, and turned the team's season completely around, from being the worst in the league, to making the playoffs. He produced at a nearly point per game pace, and other than his skating (which is obviously below average), he can still play at a high level. He was clutch at the end of games too. I'll welcome him back anytime.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
No joke, this would be a good option for the Leafs to get a potential value winger if Buffalo was willing to retain half his salary. Cap penalty if they bury him then would only be $1.4m and he can be loaned to Ontario again. But Tavares has propped him up once before. Who's to say it couldn't happen again?
Why would you want to do that to JT and all of the Leafs fans.

Would you like me skating next to Tavares? I bet he could really improve my NHL production. Does that make it a good idea?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why would you want to do that to JT and all of the Leafs fans.

Would you like me skating next to Tavares? I bet he could really improve my NHL production. Does that make it a good idea?
Have you scored 30 goals next to John Tavares before?

In hindsight it'd also rely on their owners being willing to pay the $2.5m or so on a guy who may ultimately end up buried in another team's farm system. Probably not one of the first things the new guy wants to be doing after committing a big chunk of future coin on Tavares himself.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Have you scored 30 goals next to John Tavares before?

In hindsight it'd also rely on their owners being willing to pay the $2.5m or so on a guy who may ultimately end up buried in another team's farm system. Probably not one of the first things the new guy wants to be doing after committing a big chunk of future coin on Tavares himself.
I am roughly as close in skill to 30 goal Moulson as current Moulson is to 30 goal Moulson.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am roughly as close in skill to 30 goal Moulson as current Moulson is to 30 goal Moulson.
Current Moulson was close to a point per game in the AHL last season. When you see where his game was prior to NYI getting him the first time, his production wasn't horribly different than it is now. He's never been a good skater. Regardless, my second point was already stated. They'd never let him spend money that frivolously.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Current Moulson was close to a point per game in the AHL last season. When you see where his game was prior to NYI getting him the first time, his production wasn't horribly different than it is now. He's never been a good skater. Regardless, my second point was already stated. They'd never let him spend money that frivolously.
How many Sabres games have you watched since mid-season 2015-16?

Moulson is not where he was before Tavares. He stopped being an NHL player two years ago. He's utterly horrendous now at this level. Tavares wouldn't save him. You would immediately regret ever asking to see him play. You would be shocked as to how you could have ever suggested such a thing. He was so bad he couldn't stay on the last place team last year - putting up 0 points in 14 games and playing worse than his production suggested. Trust me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad