Matt Moulson the former Penguin?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Muzzin would never play and add to the defensive log jam and Moulson would be our whipping boy.

Muzzin may pull a Maatta, you never know.

Moulson would be money next to Sid, but I guess his draft position went against him

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Muzzin may pull a Maatta, you never know.

Moulson would be money next to Sid, but I guess his draft position went against him

Muzzin isn't better than Maatta or Despres. He wouldn't be playing here.

Moulson is about as one dimensional as they come. The fanbase would ultimately hate him. Islanders fans were very frustrated with him before he was traded. Just because he'd put up numbers with Sid doesn't mean that having them together would benefit us in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Moulson is about as one dimensional as they come. The fanbase would ultimately hate him. Islanders fans were very frustrated with him before he was traded. Just because he'd put up numbers with Sid doesn't mean that having them together would benefit us in the playoffs.

To be honest, I think Moulson got a bit of a bum rap there because they needed someone to blame whenever Tavares had a bad game or was struggling. Much like Sid and Kunitz, the real issue for that line was the other wing.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
here's copy-paste of about a year-old post on the subject:

The end of his last season at Cornell coincided with the regime change in Pittsburgh and it seems most likely he just fell through the cracks at the time. The Pens had to offer him a contract or let him walk and either the old scouts didn't push hard for him to Shero or Shero didn't feel particularly good about him. Didn't make sense at the time and looks terrible now. It's not even like Moulson had the typical red-flag skating ability question either. Some people will try to absolve Shero for not offering him by saying the scouts weren't strong on him, but the buck stops with Shero, and if he wanted to sign a draftee to a contract, he easily could of, the team just completely whiffed on him. Just look at some of the guys the team had under contract that year and tell me they didn't have room for a guy like Moulson. Karl Stewart? Joel Kwiatkowski?

Hindsight and all, but I didn't understand him not getting a contract at all at the time. The guy was over a ppg his last 3 years in college and immediately stepped into the AHL and was impact player. Nearly 60 pts in 80 games his first year and then 28 goals in under 60 games the next. He even played well in limited time with the Kings that year. For whatever reason, he didn't really get much of a whiff with the Kings the next year, playing most of the season in the AHL. He then moved onto the Isles the year after and has been a 30 goal guy since.

In short, Moulson has produced at a high level every step of the way but for whatever reason, never got a real chance until he ended up on the Isle. The Moulson deal has been sort of a thorn in my side since it happened since he was such a productive player in college and didn't have the red-flags (size, skating) that usually warrant serious concern about a player's ability to produce at a higher level, plus the Pens were terrible for many of the recent years and it made no sense to let a guy like him walk.

and:

But that's the thing, he did. He was first team all-conference and second team all-conference his last two years at Cornell, and was an honorable mention his sophomore year. When a team drafts a guy in the 9th round and he performs way better than anyone could hope, it just doesn't make any sense at all to not offer him a contract, especially when your team is bereft of talent as the Pens of that time period were. It's not like there was some great benefit to not signing him.

Even during his one extended run with the Kings he played well. 9 pts in 22 games with zero pp time and only a dozen minutes per game as a rookie is quite good. Also it's not like the Kings were making a ton of great decision on fringe players at that time either. They gave away Moulson and Teddy Purcell in order to play young guys like Patrick O'Sullivan, Oscar Moller, Scott Parse and Brad Richardson during that time. Sometimes teams just miss on guys, even rarer is two teams doing it but it happens.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
To be honest, I think Moulson got a bit of a bum rap there because they needed someone to blame whenever Tavares had a bad game or was struggling. Much like Sid and Kunitz, the real issue for that line was the other wing.

Wasn't Okposo on Tavares' RW for pretty much the whole season so far?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Want something to chap your buns even more?

Ryan Stone was taken with the 32nd overall pick in 2003.

Who was taken 33rd you ask? Loui Eriksson.

Let that sink in.

Point being...you never know about prospects. Obviously no one that Zetterberg or Datsyuk would turn out...but they did. Plenty of 1st rounders have flamed out too. You just never know.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
here's copy-paste of about a year-old post on the subject:

The end of his last season at Cornell coincided with the regime change in Pittsburgh and it seems most likely he just fell through the cracks at the time. The Pens had to offer him a contract or let him walk and either the old scouts didn't push hard for him to Shero or Shero didn't feel particularly good about him. Didn't make sense at the time and looks terrible now. It's not even like Moulson had the typical red-flag skating ability question either. Some people will try to absolve Shero for not offering him by saying the scouts weren't strong on him, but the buck stops with Shero, and if he wanted to sign a draftee to a contract, he easily could of, the team just completely whiffed on him. Just look at some of the guys the team had under contract that year and tell me they didn't have room for a guy like Moulson. Karl Stewart? Joel Kwiatkowski?

Hindsight and all, but I didn't understand him not getting a contract at all at the time. The guy was over a ppg his last 3 years in college and immediately stepped into the AHL and was impact player. Nearly 60 pts in 80 games his first year and then 28 goals in under 60 games the next. He even played well in limited time with the Kings that year. For whatever reason, he didn't really get much of a whiff with the Kings the next year, playing most of the season in the AHL. He then moved onto the Isles the year after and has been a 30 goal guy since.

In short, Moulson has produced at a high level every step of the way but for whatever reason, never got a real chance until he ended up on the Isle. The Moulson deal has been sort of a thorn in my side since it happened since he was such a productive player in college and didn't have the red-flags (size, skating) that usually warrant serious concern about a player's ability to produce at a higher level, plus the Pens were terrible for many of the recent years and it made no sense to let a guy like him walk.

and:

But that's the thing, he did. He was first team all-conference and second team all-conference his last two years at Cornell, and was an honorable mention his sophomore year. When a team drafts a guy in the 9th round and he performs way better than anyone could hope, it just doesn't make any sense at all to not offer him a contract, especially when your team is bereft of talent as the Pens of that time period were. It's not like there was some great benefit to not signing him.

Even during his one extended run with the Kings he played well. 9 pts in 22 games with zero pp time and only a dozen minutes per game as a rookie is quite good. Also it's not like the Kings were making a ton of great decision on fringe players at that time either. They gave away Moulson and Teddy Purcell in order to play young guys like Patrick O'Sullivan, Oscar Moller, Scott Parse and Brad Richardson during that time. Sometimes teams just miss on guys, even rarer is two teams doing it but it happens.

I seem to remember an article on the score where the author (Justin Bourne) said Moulson was once cut from a team he was on, despite being the best player on it, because he was too soft. And frankly, he might be the softest player in the NHL currently.

That's probably the red flag that had him floating around the minors/waivers, despite being obviously too productive to have been there.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Your probably thinking Matt Murley, i did that too the first time Moulson played for the Isles against us.

I think you're right. Matt Murley and Matt Hussey were probably the two Matt's that I might have been thinking of.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

This is the kind of homerism by some Pens fans (or just blatant ignorance regarding other teams around the NHL). Yes, all of our players are better than any of your players, even if they haven't proven it; and all those players who perform well on other teams couldn't possibly contribute to ours.

If you actually paid any attention to LA Kings hockey (and I'm not even a casual fan of theirs), you would know that Muzzin has been very impressive and playing a significant role including 20 mins/night and both special-teams for a very high end Western Conference club that won a Stanley Cup more recently than we did. But of course, Muzzin sucks and he couldn't possibly compete with Despres or even Reid McNeill. :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Muzzin hasn't been very impressive this year, but he's certainly far more proven than Maatta or Despres.

As for the thread topic. I'm not a fan of Jussi Jokinen's game. So I certainly wouldn't be in favor of a glorified leech flanking Sid.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Regardless of how impressive he's been, he wouldn't be playing here. In terms of prospect quality, he's behind a few of our guys. We have too much depth, and we wouldn't be a better team if Muzzin was here.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Regardless of how impressive he's been, he wouldn't be playing here. In terms of prospect quality, he's behind a few of our guys. We have too much depth, and we wouldn't be a better team if Muzzin was here.

Thank you for confirming every word I just said.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Thank you for confirming every word I just said.

How? He's been impressive for the Kings. But the bottom line is he wouldn't even have had a chance to play here and impress if we didn't let him go. Because of pedigree, he'd be behind a few of defensive prospects on our depth chart. You seem to think otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad