Speculation: Matt Martin to the New York Rangers

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Martin (no retention) + 2019 4th rounder (pick whichever of the blues/leafs pick is higher) for a 2019 6th?

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Martin (no retention) + 2019 4th rounder (pick whichever of the blues/leafs pick is higher) for a 2019 6th?

I think that's fine. It's only 2.5 million left over 2 years in actual dollars.... due to the bonus paid out yesterday. Martin is still a serviceable 4th liner and he only has 2 years remaining... so we shouldn't have to give up too much with him to trade him. Rangers are in a mini rebuild and still need some solid players while doing this on the fly.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think that's fine. It's only 2.5 million left over 2 years in actual dollars.... due to the bonus paid out yesterday. Martin is still a serviceable 4th liner and he only has 2 years remaining... so we shouldn't have to give up too much with him to trade him. Rangers are in a mini rebuild and still need some solid players while doing this on the fly.

Leafs have to give up the better pick since martin is not a positive asset, but it's not a bad thing long term.

Reactions: Burnie97

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Seems like it's using the NYR cap space to help out the Leafs. I would want something better than a 4th.

The price to move a contract like Martin's is usually around a 4th round pick. Maybe even less considering that his salary is actually less than his cap hit.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
We should see if they will take Beleskey back. He's in the AHL anyway. But I'm ok with Martin. He can't be any worse than McLeod or Glass.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
The young softies need to feel safe out there. Hopefully the team can develop some younger/cheaper/better versions...but from where.

Last edited:

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Seeing the money being thrown at guys like Reaves and Rousell makes me think the Leafs don't have to sweeten the deal too much. I'd be interested in a deal with the Rangers that includes picks (on both sides) and Bigras. Maybe:

To NYR
Martin (no retention)
Conditional 5th (becomes a 4th if Rangers pick becomes 6th)

To TOR
Conditional 7th (based on gp can become a 6th)
Bigras

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
The asking price will be your second round pick. Don't worry though, we will gladly give it back to you to move up a few spots or select someone that nobody else in the league had any inclination of selecting.

Reactions: hi

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Seeing the money being thrown at guys like Reaves and Rousell makes me think the Leafs don't have to sweeten the deal too much. I'd be interested in a deal with the Rangers that includes picks (on both sides) and Bigras. Maybe:

To NYR
Martin (no retention)
Conditional 5th (becomes a 4th if Rangers pick becomes 6th)

To TOR
Conditional 7th (based on gp can become a 6th)
Bigras

While Bigras doesn't have much value, that deal does absolutely nothing for us. No need for us to just throw in Bigras for no reason. I'd take Martin and a 3rd or 4th for a conditional 7th that basically can't be achieved (i.e. Rangers win the Cup).

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
What's the incentive for the Rangers?
Well we do need a 4th line+grit and Gorton loves character. I’d be fine with this, it’s not like we’re giving something up for Martin, Leafs are giving us something for taking his contract for them to free up cap space potentially for de Haan

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I mean...I didn't bring it up. It is being reported, I can guarantee you significant assets aren't going out for a 2.5 million cap hit. Maybe a 3rd? Teams have gotten rid of far far worse contracts without giving up much before.
Yep a 3rd+Martin for like a conditional 7th or something is fine. Maybe Bracco? Bracco+Martin for conditional late pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad