Value of: Matt Martin - post July 1.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With the leafs scratching Martin since the new year, his future in Toronto is in question. Once un-tradeable, Martin's bonus gets paid on July 1st, and then has a low salary for the last 2 years of his deal. This could be attractive to a floor team since they wouldn't have to pay him much but his cap hit still counts. If the leafs package a mid round pick with Martin, what would his value be? I'd put say a 4th + martin at around a 6th in return, but is that fair value?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Don't they have a ton of cap next year? Why don't the bury him in the AHL and trade him at the deadline?
Be nice to open up a contract spot...and every bit of cap we can save is a good thing. That said, i don't see any teams being interested.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Be nice to open up a contract spot...and every bit of cap we can save is a good thing. That said, i don't see any teams being interested.

Meh. I've seen worse deals been traded. 2 years though is the max that bad contracts that aren't in direct swap of each other (hey Phaneuf/Gaborik). Martin + 2019 4th for a conditional 6th is something I could see.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Meh. I've seen worse deals been traded. 2 years though is the max that bad contracts that aren't in direct swap of each other (hey Phaneuf/Gaborik). Martin + 2019 4th for a conditional 6th is something I could see.
Hey, i'm all for it if a team wants to do that....

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
With the leafs scratching Martin since the new year, his future in Toronto is in question. Once un-tradeable, Martin's bonus gets paid on July 1st, and then has a low salary for the last 2 years of his deal. This could be attractive to a floor team since they wouldn't have to pay him much but his cap hit still counts. If the leafs package a mid round pick with Martin, what would his value be? I'd put say a 4th + martin at around a 6th in return, but is that fair value?
Clutterbuck and a 2nd for martin

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Hey, i'm all for it if a team wants to do that....
What’s the point?

Leafs don’t need the cap this coming year. If he’s a pure cap dump, we won’t have to pay as much next offseason. But at the same time, I don’t think he needs to be seen as a pure cap dump. He’s a good locker room git, and some team with cap space and youngsters might want the protection be affords. Even if it’s a FC trade, after he’s passed through waivers.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That is why he tossed in a 2nd.

Leafs take on Clutterbuck's crappy deal +2nd for Martin's unwanted deal.
Clutterbucks contract is 2 years and 9 million more expensive than Martin's. the difference isn't a 2nd.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is what you get for signing 4th liners long term. Now they will have a hard time getting rid of him. If you sign him for 1 or 2 years, he'd be gone and that's it.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
This is what you get for signing 4th liners long term. Now they will have a hard time getting rid of him. If you sign him for 1 or 2 years, he'd be gone and that's it.
Oh my goodness!!! 1.4M against the cap!!!! Whatever will we do ?!!?!!??!!

Not like we pay kessels 1.6 every year lmfao!

Reactions: justafan22

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
if he has a good attitude and good character, our dumb GM will probably give a second rounder for him...MB loves those grinders

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
If Reaves can get traded so can Martin. I think he’s a better player than Reaves as well.

Reactions: Mork

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Toronto will find a way to circumvent the rules and put him on ltir.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Literally anything we can get. Aside from all the reasons it would be a benefit to the Leafs, let the man go play some hockey. He can still play. He's just not good enough to play for us.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Keep him for the season. The season is long and it’s a grind. May not be a good player but you still need some toughness over the season. His contract doesn’t bother the leafs. Plus if it keeps a guy like Marner happy even better.

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad