Value of: Matt Martin back to the the NYI

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Actually he did, he did what he was brought into do, protect the rookies and not let them get bullied Cant complain about Martin, he just got passed by the up and coming prospects we have.
Fortunately the nyi do not need the slow skating Martin to protect their rookies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And came to regret it.
According to published reports, the Leafs were looking to move Martin last season.
Sorry, what reports? From Blogs? Only say this Looming trade deadline a distraction for Leafs | The Star where Babcock said:
"Martin is a real good guy and you don’t want him out of the lineup,” said Leafs coach Mike Babcock. “In saying that, Kapanen is an elite penalty killer with real good speed. We’ve got real good tempo. Those are hard decisions to make.
“Those are personal decisions for the players. They’re not personal decisions for (coaches). Just based on hockey.” He was playing regularly until Kapanen won the job. I have seen more now that Dubas is GM, but they are more speculation by people who think they know what Dubas' team will be like. There are a few players leaving via UFA. There might be room for him in Toronto.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sorry, what reports? From Blogs? Only say this Looming trade deadline a distraction for Leafs | The Star where Babcock said:
"Martin is a real good guy and you don’t want him out of the lineup,” said Leafs coach Mike Babcock. “In saying that, Kapanen is an elite penalty killer with real good speed. We’ve got real good tempo. Those are hard decisions to make.
“Those are personal decisions for the players. They’re not personal decisions for (coaches). Just based on hockey.” He was playing regularly until Kapanen won the job. I have seen more now that Dubas is GM, but they are more speculation by people who think they know what Dubas' team will be like. There are a few players leaving via UFA. There might be room for him in Toronto.

There was a report in a Friedman article that Toronto wanted to move Martin and were looking to the nyi as a possible trade partner.

Staple tweeted the nyi had no interest.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There was a report in a Friedman article that Toronto wanted to move Martin and were looking to the nyi as a possible trade partner.

Thank you for your help! I couldn't find it, but it's moot as I am in favour of keeping him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Now that Lou is running the NYI I fully expect Matt Martin to be brought back to New York.

I don't see Toronto retaining Salary on 2.5 million that's just not needed.

I'm not expecting a ton, just a draft pick.

So our former GM is gonna trade a pick for a guy who couldn’t get into the line up? Your logic is so sound it’s mind boggling!

We have three options:

1)Package him up with a pick or prospect to get somebody to take him;
2)Eat a Million to move him or basically bury him in minors to get the million of cap space;
3) Waive him

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Now that Lou is running the NYI I fully expect Matt Martin to be brought back to New York.

We'll give you Andrew Ladd instead.
Why would the Islanders want him back and for a pick?
The draft pick would be coming our way.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

So if you make a misstake, you never learn from it? Just keep doing it over???
But this is Lou, so you never know...

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
whoever lou picks up to round out the bottom 6 needs to have good wheels / cheapo salary ; therfore as much as I'd like to put the band together again (zeek/MM/clutter) I dont think aquiring martin achieves this .

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't know if Marleau would be getting 4th line duties.

But Matthews-Kadri-Tavares-Thornton down the middle is some pretty sweet depth.

Ridiculous! Isles are not trading Barzal for Mathews, Kadri and Marleau only to sign Thornton!?!

Haven’t you heard? Barzal is all “better than sliced bread” AINEC!

You Leaf fans escalated “Martin to Isles” quickly. Sheesh! ;)

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Ridiculous! Isles are not trading Barzal for Mathews, Kadri and Marleau only to sign Thornton!?!

Haven’t you heard? Barzal is all “better than sliced bread” AINEC!

You Leaf fans escalated “Martin to Isles” quickly. Sheesh! ;)
Of course the Leafs aren’t trading those guys for Barzal.

He’s part of the Martin deal. Marlies will need someone to replace Johnsson and Kapanen’s production down there.

Barzal+Van Stompe for Martin plus Van Riemsdyk’s rights. Need to keep the Van quotient up.

Also, this is not how I picture a guy named Van Stompe looking:

Mitchell Vande Sompel hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Loved Martin, but that ship has sailed. I liked what Ross Johnston brought last year, similar physical presence at a fraction of the cost. I hope we can re-up Ross The Boss to fill the same role again.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
don't see if from NYI's end, Martin's just plain overpaid so I don't see anyone wanting his contract

we're probably wiser to look for someone who's on a similar term who's also overpaid and do a swap, maybe for someone who makes more than Martin but could play a more important role. Any overpaid 2nd pairing RHD with a couple years left on their contracts?

Zach Bogosian checks all the boxes on your list.

Martin makes 2.5 million for 2 more years, and Bogo makes 5.1(ish) also for 2 years. A thread on the Sabres board (link here) is already discussing the possibility of a buy-out or trading him with retention. If that's a consideration, then trade him for Martin and buy him out instead for half the cost. They're adding a RHD at the draft, and might want cap-space to sign a left side defender.

Toronto doesn't need Martin, and has no roster spot for him. That means burying him again in the AHL costs about 1.6 million on the cap for nothing. Better to use that for Bogosian. If he comes at full salary, then that still means the tams only pays about 3.5 more than Martin in the AHL. Bogosian is worth about 3.5 when he's healthy. And Toronto needs to add a rigt handed blueliner. I think he would play well under Babs, and might stay healthier with a lesser role and fewer minutes.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
NYI has their own bad contracts.

With them going all in on trying to re-sign Tavares and get this team back into the playoffs, they aren’t going to waste 2.5M in cap on a 13th forward.

Just because Lou was the GM who gave Martin that contract, doesn’t imply he still thinks it’s a good contract.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I signed this really bad car lease I can't afford anymore. Monthly payments are through the roof, the dealer really bent me over a barrel with this one.

Luckily I knocked on my neighbor's door "here it's yours now". So simple, and I get exactly what I want. Thank god this is the way real life works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad