Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
BRUINS NOTEBOOK
Matt Irwin looking for fresh start with Bruins

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...with-bruins/CImP9maju5MlJrHLnOUgDJ/story.html

“A fresh start I think was going to be good for me coming out of San Jose,†Irwin said.

“It was my first time going through [free agency], so I didn’t really know what to expect,†Irwin added. “Just kind of stayed patient, trusted my agent that he was going to have my best interest, which he did, and just happy that the opportunity here with Boston came about. I jumped right on it.â€

Irwin, who played at the University of Massachusetts for two years and spent four seasons with the Worcester Sharks, was complimentary of the team, the city, the history. He compared the Bruins situation this year to that of the Sharks, a team that also missed the playoffs last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Matt Irwin Could Be Underrated Addition To Boston Bruins’ Blue Line
http://nesn.com/2015/09/matt-irwin-could-be-underrated-signing-for-boston-bruins-blue-line/

“I’m looking to play every game,†Irwin said after Saturday’s training camp practice at TD Garden. “That’s my goal. I think I can bring a lot to this team. There’s competition and there’s opportunity. I’m looking to be in the lineup every night and help this team win.†The 27-year-old defenseman has played three seasons in the NHL, all with the San Jose Sharks. He’s on a one-year deal with Boston and hoping to prove himself deserving of a spot on the team’s opening-night roster. Irwin is more of an offensive-minded player, and he’s a good skater and has demonstrated an ability to survey the oncoming forecheck and jump start the transition game. “They want the D-men jumping up in the rush, create some offense,†Irwin said. “That said, we have to take care of our own zone. My strength is a good first pass out of the zone, get it into a forward’s hands, let them do their job. Get pucks through from the point, create first, second and third opportunities at the net.â€

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/09/matt-irwin-could-be-underrated-signing-for-boston-bruins-blue-line/

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Matt Irwin Could Be Underrated Addition To Boston Bruins’ Blue Line
http://nesn.com/2015/09/matt-irwin-could-be-underrated-signing-for-boston-bruins-blue-line/

“I’m looking to play every game,†Irwin said after Saturday’s training camp practice at TD Garden. “That’s my goal. I think I can bring a lot to this team. There’s competition and there’s opportunity. I’m looking to be in the lineup every night and help this team win.†The 27-year-old defenseman has played three seasons in the NHL, all with the San Jose Sharks. He’s on a one-year deal with Boston and hoping to prove himself deserving of a spot on the team’s opening-night roster. Irwin is more of an offensive-minded player, and he’s a good skater and has demonstrated an ability to survey the oncoming forecheck and jump start the transition game. “They want the D-men jumping up in the rush, create some offense,†Irwin said. “That said, we have to take care of our own zone. My strength is a good first pass out of the zone, get it into a forward’s hands, let them do their job. Get pucks through from the point, create first, second and third opportunities at the net.â€

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/09/matt-irwin-could-be-underrated-signing-for-boston-bruins-blue-line/

I thought Sharks fans loved him, besides the fact that he was a horrendous skater... Weird.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know he had a rough 1st couple games in Boston before being sent down.

Not that I'm complaining but it is a little bit surprising with all the struggles of Boston's D throughout the season he didn't get even one more look.

Oh Well.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Don't know why he got it other than point production. He was still a defensive liability and got healthy scratched quite a bit. Didn't even play tonight.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Don't know why he got it other than point production. He was still a defensive liability and got healthy scratched quite a bit. Didn't even play tonight.

Asking sincerely, but were there better options on the P-Bruins to have won it that played most of the season in Providence?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Asking sincerely, but were there better options on the P-Bruins to have won it that played most of the season in Providence?

If you're treating it like the Norris Trophy where points are more important then he wins, but if I'm up a goal with a minute left I'd prefer Casto or Cross or Breen out there. Also, Arnesson.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Last drafted Bruins defenseman to play 100 games other than Hamilton is Hunwick, drafted 2004.

Tell me 1 team that has done worse than that?

That's just cherry picking stats.

Since 2006, the Chicago Blackhawks draft picks at the defense position have combined to play 36 games in the NHL.
Tell me 1 team that has won more Stanley Cups than that ?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That's just cherry picking stats.

Since 2006, the Chicago Blackhawks draft picks at the defense position have combined to play 36 games in the NHL.
Tell me 1 team that has won more Stanley Cups than that ?

Well, when you hit on Kieth, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson, maybe drafting Dmen isn't up there on your list.

Also, if Irwin is the best there is in Providence :help:

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
In spite of how awful was for this brief (thank the hockey gods) stay, I still do not mind the signing.

Sweeney had extremly limited options last year due to the cap and got a couple of players on the cheap. 800k for a young guy that might be an upgrade, is a gamble I am okay with.

Plus Sweeny took ownership of the error immediately and pulled the trigger when he knew it was a bad move.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Well, when you hit on Kieth, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson, maybe drafting Dmen isn't up there on your list.

And Campbell then they traded him to the Panthers

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

The poster I responded to to asked a specific question and I answered it, thus there is no reason for you to respond in any manner other than to provide an answer related to the question.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Last drafted Bruins defenseman to play 100 games other than Hamilton is Hunwick, drafted 2004.

Tell me 1 team that has done worse than that?

Not a draft pick, but at least we were able to sign Krug as a college free agent.

As for Iriwn, if he's the best d-man in Providence, what does that say about the rest of the d-men down there?

He's a career minor leaguer. He peaked in San Jose and that's that. He has no business being on Boston's roster.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I just went and looked at all the defenseman the Bruins have drafted. (100+games in the NHL)

I remember thinking these guys, and a lot of others that they have picked up in the draft were going to be great.

A lot of stay at home, grinder types.

2011 Hamilton
2004 Hunwick
2003 Stuart
2001 Morrisonn, Alberts, Jurcina
1999 Boynton
1998 Girard
1997 Clymer
1995 McLaren, Brown
1993 Gill
1992 Timander
1988 Rohloff