Matt Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think people are being too tough on Seids. He started to look better towards the end of the year, so maybe his recovery was tougher on him. He might not completely regain his form, but he's still definitely a legit top 4 guy IMO.

I watched Seids videos and tried to find news about his recovery and he truly looks like a tank, in last septembers interview his upper body was in top shape, if he can get his lower body back to normal then he could very well do well next season.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Fans crave another top 4 Dman, yet they want to trade an established top 4 D in Seidenberg, makes no sense. Your'e not gonna get much for him now anyway. Let him play and then trade him at the deadline if the team is in the tank.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fans crave another top 4 Dman, yet they want to trade an established top 4 D in Seidenberg, makes no sense. Your'e not gonna get much for him now anyway. Let him play and then trade him at the deadline if the team is in the tank.

I`m confused, in one sentence you are saying fans want to trade "an established top 4 D" yet in the next sentence you say "not gonna get much for him now anyway" so....which is it?

I am one of the few here who liked the way Seids finished the year in the last 10-12 games, saw plenty of signs he was finally feeling stronger on the blades and was playing with more confidence, too bad the rest of the troops weren`t playing the same

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
I`m confused, in one sentence you are saying fans want to trade "an established top 4 D" yet in the next sentence you say "not gonna get much for him now anyway" so....which is it?

I am one of the few here who liked the way Seids finished the year in the last 10-12 games, saw plenty of signs he was finally feeling stronger on the blades and was playing with more confidence, too bad the rest of the troops weren`t playing the same

Fans want to add another Top 4 Dman to the roster via FA because its a glaring issue, but then want to trade Seidenberg. Makes no sense to subtract a top 4D when you actually need to add another.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I have been one of the loudest voices in the "trade Seidenberg" crew. I've detailed my rationale on a number of occasions so I won't go through it all again, but in short it comes down to the following:

Age 34, 3 years left on a deal paying him $4M per, had a horrendous season coming off knee surgery when he was supposedly days from playing in the prior season's Cup finals, one of multiple "top 6" Bruin defensemen who lack quickness and speed (Chara, McQuaid).

Put simply...if he was a free agent coming off last season, with a still unproven knee, would he fetch $3M today? I say no way. Not at age 34 with those miles. So why should we be happy paying him $4M per season until he's 37 years old? It's bad business.

I love the guy but PC signed him to a bad deal (shocking) and the injury made it much worse. If you can find a team who'll take him for nothing I do it in a second.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Fans want to add another Top 4 Dman to the roster via FA because its a glaring issue, but then want to trade Seidenberg. Makes no sense to subtract a top 4D when you actually need to add another.

Except he's not a top 4D. That's the difference.

Just because he was a top 4 defenseman at age 32 before knee surgery doesn't mean you get to call him a top 4 D man now. He was horrendous last season. ALL season. At this point he's a bottom pairing d-man on a quality defense until he proves otherwise.

Now add on that our ex-GM somehow signed him to a deal that pays him $4M for three more years with a NTC. He's the Chris Kelly of our defense.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that recovering from the knee injury effected him more than was thought.

My point is let him see if he can get back to health and trade him at the deadline if you have to.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Except he's not a top 4D. That's the difference.

Just because he was a top 4 defenseman at age 32 before knee surgery doesn't mean you get to call him a top 4 D man now. He was horrendous last season. ALL season. At this point he's a bottom pairing d-man on a quality defense until he proves otherwise.

Now add on that our ex-GM somehow signed him to a deal that pays him $4M for three more years with a NTC. He's the Chris Kelly of our defense.

He was not horrendous ALL season. And even horrendous Seids is at worst a #4. He is absolutely not the Kelly of our defense as even a #4 is worth his $4,000,000 currently. Without a bounce back he is obviously not #2 but to call him worse than a #4 is an insult to him. His contract itself is a bargain as well!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
He was not horrendous ALL season. And even horrendous Seids is at worst a #4. He is absolutely not the Kelly of our defense as even a #4 is worth his $4,000,000 currently. Without a bounce back he is obviously not #2 but to call him worse than a #4 is an insult to him. His contract itself is a bargain as well!

Krug will be traded before Seidenberg. Bruins can't afford his pay raise next season.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
They can't afford to let him go. He's exactly what they need on the back end.

I think it hinges on him establishing himself in the top 4. I personally think he's capable if he's given enough opportunity. If he disappoints or doesn't get the opportunity I could see the team moving on.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA

Seids last season was among the absolute worst defensemen in the entire league when you look at the numbers.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
They can't afford to let him go. He's exactly what they need on the back end.

It's not proven that he can handle top-four duties. The Bruins also have a guy like Joe Morrow waiting in the wings, and he has the potential to do what Krug can—and hhe has the size to be in the top four.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The Bruins can absolutely afford Krug. They have almost 6 million coming off the books just in Kelly and Lucic. That's such an absurd statement.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The Bruins can absolutely afford Krug. They have almost 6 million coming off the books just in Kelly and Lucic. That's such an absurd statement.

And you can add the 3.4 Krug is making this year as well. The issue will be if he can play top 4 though. Which he will likely have to prove this year. If he can't take a top4 role and continues to need shelter, then he becomes a very expensive 3rd liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad