Player Discussion Matt Hendricks

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
he seemed worn out at the end of the season but should be a good leader next season..

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
lol haha sorry about that XD, I'll do better next time. Thanks mods for changing the thread :)

No problem :laugh:

he seemed worn out at the end of the season but should be a good leader next season..

Ya, he was definitely worn down. He's been such a warrior for us that it's hard to say anything negative about him though. I'm hoping with Looch, Maroon, Kassian, Nurse, etc, he won't have to be quite so ballsy out there, and he can last a little better.

That interview is just phenomenal. I love this guy. He's someone who we need to hire in some capacity after he retires. He knows how to win.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm hoping we have someone who has a strong training camp and can push Hendricks for that LW 4th line spot. Not sure Hendricks can maintain his style of game for 82 games. Might be a player who we shouldn't be playing back to back nights.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hope he stays healthy. He's an important part of that bottom six this year and hopefully he can pass on the torch to one of the young guys on this roster. He's likely a deadline casualty next spring so the kids better be listening.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm hoping we have someone who has a strong training camp and can push Hendricks for that LW 4th line spot. Not sure Hendricks can maintain his style of game for 82 games. Might be a player who we shouldn't be playing back to back nights.

Agreed.

I am a huge Hendricks fan. The guy came into camp jacked last year but even so was visibly gassed as the season wore on.

I know I am probably dreaming but I see Kharia as his replacement on and off next year and eventually permanently.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
At this point in his career, Hendo is best suited to be the 13th forward. Manage his ice time and don't play him every game, and I think he'll continue to be an effective player.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Can you believe that Hendy was responsible for the entire demolition of the greyhound station . Dude can handle a jack hammer

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The guy is a leader and a hell of an individual based on everything that I've seen of him since he's gotten here.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
posted-his-matt-hendricks-twitter-account-matthendy-shortly1.jpeg

I'll never forget this. He is the type of veteran leader that is very valuable for a younger team like the Oilers. I think he'll have a coaching career someday in the NHL after he retires.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Could be looking to deep into it...but did anyone else notice a lot of the players (excluding Larsson) talk a lot about how they will be a tighter team etc when asked about their thought on the Hall trade?? Found that kind of interesting.

Bangalter

Aug 21, 2013
Could be looking to deep into it...but did anyone else notice a lot of the players (excluding Larsson) talk a lot about how they will be a tighter team etc when asked about their thought on the Hall trade?? Found that kind of interesting.

I don't think they mean it in a negative way towards Hall, they are just trying to be positive about the change. However, I did kinda feel the same but just may be just overthinking it.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Definitely noticed it, particularly the Kassian interview. At 2:37 Tom mentions how he was a teammate with Hall in Windsor and Kassian kind of looks away from the camera - seemed somewhere between a facial tick and rolling his eyes. 20 seconds later he mentioned about now having the right group to be a team, the right fit in the dressing room. Didn't seem like it was idle chat, there seemed to be purpose to the comment.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

The problem was looked into and appropriate action was taken. Welcome to the Oilers Adam Larsson.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
"Great kid, kind of quiet.. I'm gonna have to shake that out of him" haha. Love hendo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Matt mentioned that he had a chance to talk to John Hynes from the Devils org over at the World championships (Matt specifically asked about Larsson) and Hynes talked about what kind of a player he was.

I find it interesting that Hendricks randomly asked about a specific player who the Oilers just happened to trade for a month later.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Definitely noticed it, particularly the Kassian interview. At 2:37 Tom mentions how he was a teammate with Hall in Windsor and Kassian kind of looks away from the camera - seemed somewhere between a facial tick and rolling his eyes. 20 seconds later he mentioned about now having the right group to be a team, the right fit in the dressing room. Didn't seem like it was idle chat, there seemed to be purpose to the comment.

Def noticed that as well, was a little more shocked that RNH and Eberle said so little about Hall. Maybe there was something more...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He looked a lot older at times last year and I hope that we see the old Hendricks come back now that there are a lot more players here that can carry the load.

We know we're going to see Kassian, Lucic and Maroon run guys over this year.
Pacman and Pitlick will also provide sandpaper when they get called up as injury replacements.
Drai and Puljujarvi have the size that have you thinking that they'll eventually be able to dish out some punishment at some point in their careers.
Nurse is a monster and will be a treat when he's ready for full time NHL action.

If Hendo isn't expected to bite off more than he can chew on a year to year basis I hope that he can look revived to some extent because I'd like to see him retire and Oiler and stay in our system long term. He really epitomizes a type of player we've been missing in spades over the past few years and we can't let our team fall into a rut and find ourselves lacking in balls ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad