Player Discussion Matt Hendricks Appreciation Thread

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Sportsnet released an article that he is 99% certain he isn't coming back to Edmonton and I just wanted to Appreciate his time here. He was a warrior and played with his heart here. He did what Ryan Smyth did for us (maybe not as big) but he fought through it and still did what he could to help change the culture of the Oilers.

Wherever you end up, we are proud you stuck through with it and helped sculpt our teams attitude from here on in :handclap:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matt-hendricks-leaves-oilers-accomplished-mission/

“I would say it’s 99 per cent sure I won’t be back,” Hendricks said over the phone from his off-season home in Minnesota Thursday.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Good soldier, great guy. Got a bit of a raw deal for the end of his career but that didn't seem to bother him.

His career in the NHL is over but I will always appreciate him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Funny, I was actually thinking about creating a thread on Matt Hendricks just some hour ago because I was wondering where he was going next, if he was gonna retire or keep playing somewhere else. Because if not I'd love to keep him around in some capacity, but I guess that's not happening. Best of luck to him wherever he goes. Real soldier.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
It is unfortunate his game really fell off last season, but man, this guy is an absolute gem. If you aren't a fan of Matt Hendricks the hockey player, you better damn well be a fan of Matt Hendricks the man.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks Matt for your hard work and determination even in the dark years. I could tell every time you were on the ice that you were giving 100% effort and a lot of players could learn from that. Best of luck to you and your family

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
He gave it his all every night. It was always a pleasure seeing him wear the blue and orange. One of my favorite fourth line energy guys that we've had in a long while.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Awesome player. If he still had the legs/his youth I would have loved him back - but was still glad for the time he had here.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Great heart and character type player, but it became obvious this year that the game has passed him by. Wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Played the game the right way, worked his butt off and always gave it his all. We should all be proud that he wore the Oil drop. Good luck to you wherever life takes you Matt.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Matty's a warrior. All balls, and heart. Wish him success wherever he goes, and hope he comes back to the organization in some capacity when he retires.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He's a guy you just couldn't dislike. He worked his ass off and earned everything he got. Matty didn't take a shift off his whole time here, and it's a VERY small group of people that can say that. I wish him nothing but the best. He's someone who'd be a good fit as a coach imo

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Loved his grit, attitude, and determination as a player here. All heart. Good luck Matt, whatever you decide to do.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
The guy was such a breath of fresh air when he joined the team. Never once questioned his will to win.

Really admire the guy. All the best wherever you go from here Hendo.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The definition of a warrior.

I think he tried his best to enstill that mentality in our younger players.

One of the hardest workers I've ever watched. Sad that age caught up to him this year.

My favourite play of his was his hit on Ekblad. Was it dirty? Hell yeah, but it signified that we weren't taking any more ****. They take a run at Hall, he takes a run at Ekblad. Loved that play.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's kind of done, but he worked his ass off the Oilers at a time where it would be easy to just give up.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Class act played with heart and grit, never shied away from blocking a shot or dropping the mitts when the situation called for it. I think a good amount of credit is owed to him in turning around the atmosphere in the lockerroom into being more positive, professional, and harder working.

I'm not sure if he has another NHL season in him, but I wish him the best.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I could see Vegas grabbing him for a year. There isn't going to be a lot of quality leaders available and he's proven he can be a good role model for a **** team. Probably more effective on one that doesn't have established cliques like the Oilers are rumoured to have had

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
posted-his-matt-hendricks-twitter-account-matthendy-shortly1.jpeg

Never Forget

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Great player for us more often than not and great person by all accounts. Wish him well.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
One story I forgot to share in the first post about Matt Hendricks and myself.

My friend and I were at a season ticket holders autograph session in Rexall and we decided to go to all the lower end guys because we knew it'd be impossible to get Eberle, Hall or RNH's autograph so we decided to go to Matt Hendricks booth first. So when it was our turn, I decided to say to Matt "I'm your biggest fan! You are my all-time favorite player! You are what makes this team so good! Forget about Taylor Who? You are the backbone to the Oilers!" He blushed and said "Really? Well, in that case, here's 3 more autographs and a picture!" And I was able to get a photo with him! I'll always remember him as a very nice and kind guy to be around. After the autograph session, while he was walking back to the locker rooms, he saw me and my friend in the hallway and asked if we'd like to walk with him down the aisle and talk a bit. So we talked about life, how things are, how he's doing personally. It was VERY cool for us. Him and Steve Staios will always have a place in my heart. They both showed some great qualities as human beings that I'll never forget! :thumbu:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Great player! Excellent attitude and effort 100% of the time! I wish him Godspeed in all his future endeavors.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00