Matt Hendricks Appreciation Thread

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
One of my favorite pick ups this year. Very hard working guy, I've always liked what he has to say. He reminds me of the 90's oiler players. Not all that skilled, but worked their ***** off.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Class, hard work, physical play, articulate, the guy is everything that you'd want in a bottom 6 player and a Captain. I'd love to see him sport the C on this club.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Seriously, they added this guy for Devan Dubnyk and he's been everything they were searching for in Veteran leader. Props is well deserved.

Too bad he's not better on paper, otherwise the impact he's making would correct and not just something we actively see every game.:sarcasm:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Hendricks is the man. I didn't know a lot about him when we got him but saw this..... I said at the time I hoped he could rub off on the bunch of slugs on this team. I havn't been disappointed. I think it will take a while longer but you can see slowly but surely the better habits are creeping in.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
That paralyzer move is filthy! We hear the phrase "great character" thrown around a lot, but this guy is the epitome of that. Great pick up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hard working, great guy in the locker room, great guy on the ice and a wizard in the shoot out. Love this guy. He is everything I want from a Captain.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hendricks is the man. I didn't know a lot about him when we got him but saw this..... I said at the time I hoped he could rub off on the bunch of slugs on this team. I havn't been disappointed. I think it will take a while longer but you can see slowly but surely the better habits are creeping in.

That's awesome and hopefully it can rub off on the kids.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Hard working, great guy in the locker room, great guy on the ice and a wizard in the shoot out. Love this guy. He is everything I want from a Captain.

I would never make him Captain.

Not because I don't think he doesn't deserve it. But, because Ethan Morrow.

BTW, does he actually have a letter already? Did he get added to the alternate captain rotation? Or was someone stripped?

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
I would never make him Captain.

Not because I don't think he doesn't deserve it. But, because Ethan Morrow.

BTW, does he actually have a letter already? Did he get added to the alternate captain rotation? Or was someone stripped?

Well Nick Schultz was traded so that opened up a spot.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hendricks is a gem of a veteran. The player that we wished guys like Ference, Schultz, Belanger, etc could be.

The difference being Hendricks is actually bringing the commitment and leadership to have an influence. I get the impression a lot of other vets through the years have gone through the motions.

people asked about the segment in the GDT and I provided a rundown. may as well paste it up here;

Pretty much what you'd expect from a vet.

Spoke highly of Adam Foote and how he took young players under his wing and calmed things down as a team leader and that in any lineup some people have to lead, some have to follow.

Talked about team needing to play the right way and focus on D and coverage first. Talked about his role as a vet in helping this get established with the players.
Talked about liking it here and being such a difference playing in a Canadian passionate fanbase where the fans care.

unknown part is they focused on Hendricks formerly being a shootout trickster. He had this move where he used to fake shot and freeze the goalies.

Also talked about him flying off to Afghanistan and touring around in lockout year and supporting the troops. Guy is something else.

Finally talked about his wife and kid not being here but they visit and are still living in Nashville and how hard that is.

Guy is tough as nails, funny, endearing. Class act through and through. What you see is what you get with this guy.

It was one of the best ever segments.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hendricks is a gem of a veteran. The player that we wished guys like Ference, Schultz, Belanger, etc could be.

The difference being Hendricks is actually bringing the commitment and leadership to have an influence. I get the impression a lot of other vets through the years have gone through the motions.

people asked about the segment in the GDT and I provided a rundown. may as well paste it up here;

Pretty much what you'd expect from a vet.

Spoke highly of Adam Foote and how he took young players under his wing and calmed things down as a team leader and that in any lineup some people have to lead, some have to follow.

Talked about team needing to play the right way and focus on D and coverage first. Talked about his role as a vet in helping this get established with the players.
Talked about liking it here and being such a difference playing in a Canadian passionate fanbase where the fans care.

unknown part is they focused on Hendricks formerly being a shootout trickster. He had this move where he used to fake shot and freeze the goalies.

Also talked about him flying off to Afghanistan and touring around in lockout year and supporting the troops. Guy is something else.

Finally talked about his wife and kid not being here but they visit and are still living in Nashville and how hard that is.

Guy is tough as nails, funny, endearing. Class act through and through. What you see is what you get with this guy.

It was one of the best ever segments.
He is the kind of guy that makes me sad that we rushed getting a Captain. He is a good fit for the role because he leads by his example and has shown he will do what's needed for the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Class, hard work, physical play, articulate, the guy is everything that you'd want in a bottom 6 player and a Captain. I'd love to see him sport the C on this club.

- said Oiler fan summer 2013 regarding Andrew Ference

Although this guy has a been a beauty and huge boost to the bottom 6.

I would rather give the C to someone who will wear it long term. Hendricks is a fine bottom 6 player, but has like what? 2-3 good years left. Same with Ference.

I would wait till Hall matures a bit, then give it to him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
- said Oiler fan summer 2013 regarding Andrew Ference

Although this guy has a been a beauty and huge boost to the bottom 6.

I would rather give the C to someone who will wear it long term. Hendricks is a fine bottom 6 player, but has like what? 2-3 good years left. Same with Ference.

I would wait till Hall matures a bit, then give it to him.

I agree except to say that Hall needs to mature a lot.

Hendricks is a gem...Hall is part of the problem with this team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers fans overvalue mediocre strivers, undervalue talent. This is a recording.

Considering we just got our brains beat in by a bunch of "mediocre strivers" I think we can all agree that talent means zippo without the heart and dedication to back it up. Transplant Hendricks heart into Hall and you'd see the superstar we all envisioned he would be. Not the mopey child we saw last game.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Considering we just got our brains beat in by a bunch of "mediocre strivers" I think we can all agree that talent means zippo without the heart and dedication to back it up. Transplant Hendricks heart into Hall and you'd see the superstar we all envisioned he would be. Not the mopey child we saw last game.

I'm curious why the reverse doesn't seem to hold true for people.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1582827

Absolutely hilarious thread to read. :laugh: hfboards experts on the roll, again.

Mark my word. Dubs will go to Nashville and look like an amazing goalie for the rest of this season. The Predators will sign him as a back-up for one season and with his continued strong play he will get traded at the deadline next season for a 1st or 2nd round pick. Mitch Korn will work his magic!

:lol: My favorite....Mark my words...Bwhahaha...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1582827

Absolutely hilarious thread to read. :laugh: hfboards experts on the roll, again.

I never venture much into the hfboards netherworlds for some of this reason. So many opinions, but so little information.

I find it interesting that outsiders stat checked Dubnyk to be a capable NHL goalie. I find it interesting as well because this would be a classic example where "seen him good" actually does trump whatever muck somebody could raise about Save % or GAA which are not strictly goalie parameters in the first place. They are team metrics.

Being that I thought Devan Dubnyk traded for a broom handle would be a good idea my opinion on this would be known. Turned out to be a great trade. We sure weren't giving up much of anything.

Thing that confounds me most is how actual Oiler fans could watch Dubnyk play game after game and still feel he was a competent NHL goalie. Or even how a pro sports org could think that for several years.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I never venture much into the hfboards netherworlds for some of this reason. So many opinions, but so little information.

I find it interesting that outsiders stat checked Dubnyk to be a capable NHL goalie. I find it interesting as well because this would be a classic example where "seen him good" actually does trump whatever muck somebody could raise about Save % or GAA which are not strictly goalie parameters in the first place. They are team metrics.

Being that I thought Devan Dubnyk traded for a broom handle would be a good idea my opinion on this would be known. Turned out to be a great trade. We sure weren't giving up much of anything.

Thing that confounds me most is how actual Oiler fans could watch Dubnyk play game after game and still feel he was a competent NHL goalie. Or even how a pro sports org could think that for several years.

SV% is not a team metric any more than goals or assists are team metrics. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad