Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If Peeke was healthy I don't think Shatty plays either....but regardless I'm not sure how you can watch those two games and come away happy with Gryz. Him Lindholm and Shatty are struggling big time moving the puck out, IMO
Ryan Reaves had Grzelcyk hemmed in 2-3 times last game for a significant amount of time, but because they didn't score means Grzelcyk was good. They had a few quality scoring chances, too.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ryan Reaves had Grzelcyk hemmed in 2-3 times last game for a significant amount of time, but because they didn't score means Grzelcyk was good. They had a few quality scoring chances, too.
Yeah, really we were just lucky that it was Reaves and the 4th line hemming him in on those shifts, you could tell Reaves was making him nervous a few times

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Sweeney is going to resign him, proving once again we are living in the darkest timeline. He should be a Grand Rapids Griffin not an NHL player at this point, and he has always been terrible in the playoffs.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sweeney is going to resign him, proving once again we are living in the darkest timeline. He should be a Grand Rapids Griffin not an NHL player at this point, and he has always been terrible in the playoffs.

I don't think Sweeney signs him, unless he basically goes through FA with no bidders, and has to come back begging for a PTO

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Yup

Not sure how they can identify being slow on the breakouts as the problem and then scratch their best defenseman at retrieving the puck and breaking it out.
Honestly it's malfeasance to put Lohrei in a top 4 role game 3 in the play-offs. If he doesn't play pair 2 you match him up with Shattenkirk and then have a second pair of Wotherspoon and Carlo? Horrible.

Seems like a huge overreaction for the Bruins, who seem like they can't wait to replace gryz as soon as they can, which I can understand if you have a better option, which they don't.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Honestly it's malfeasance to put Lohrei in a top 4 role game 3 in the play-offs. If he doesn't play pair 2 you match him up with Shattenkirk and then have a second pair of Wotherspoon and Carlo? Horrible.

Seems like a huge overreaction for the Bruins, who seem like they can't wait to replace gryz as soon as they can, which I can understand if you have a better option, which they don't.
And then if you have Lohrei-Shattenkirk they see Matthews every time you put them out there on a faceoff.

Reactions: dangermike

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
And then if you have Lohrei-Shattenkirk they see Matthews every time you put them out there on a faceoff.
I know he doesn't have the only say but it seems like Montgomery just can't help himself not to self destruct this team. Put Wotherspoon in for Peake, play him with Shattenkirk, go with Gryz-Mac, Lindholm-Carlo and you're set. Those main pairs did win them 112 games over two seasons. Reminds me of the overreaction after the game 5 loss to FLA last season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yup

Not sure how they can identify being slow on the breakouts as the problem and then scratch their best defenseman at retrieving the puck and breaking it out.

Problem is, Leafs have been closing on Grz quickly and he's been making a lot of panic reads trying to get rid of the puck before they catch him. He hasn't had time to do what he's best at and it was a problem in the last game. A sturdier guy who plays a more simple game might be a better solution here in that roster spot.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Yeah you can't expect Lohrei to carry Shatty out there. If you play him he must play with McAvoy or Carlo.
They are going to have two pairs now that the Leafs can easily exploit with final changes. It makes no sense.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
If you go throw Matt G threads during the post-season or right after there are always excuses for why he's not to blame/wasn't as bad as it seems. But you know what you never see? Posts on why he was responsible for anything good/played well.
Quoted for accuracy

This is an ouch ...but a very true one

Reactions: EverettMike

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Problem is, Leafs have been closing on Grz quickly and he's been making a lot of panic reads trying to get rid of the puck before they catch him. He hasn't had time to do what he's best at and it was a problem in the last game. A sturdier guy who plays a more simple game might be a better solution here in that roster spot.
I'm the biggest defender of Grizz on the board, and I think this is very overstated, especially when you look at how Lindholm and McAvoy have been dealing with the same things. A good chunk of the blame goes to the forwards because they haven't helped at all. But at the same time, he hasn't played all that well, and Lohrei gives you a chance to flip the script. Problem is any mistakes a rookie - especially Lohrei this year - makes gets hugely magnified by the media and some here. While mistakes by someone like Wotherspoon or especially Forbort get glossed over.

He's going to make mistakes. But the whole defensive corps is making mistakes right now. Let's see what the kid has. I love it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm the biggest defender of Grizz on the board, and I think this is very overstated, especially when you look at how Lindholm and McAvoy have been dealing with the same things. A good chunk of the blame goes to the forwards because they haven't helped at all. But at the same time, he hasn't played all that well, and Lohrei gives you a chance to flip the script. Problem is any mistakes a rookie - especially Lohrei this year - makes gets hugely magnified by the media and some here. While mistakes by someone like Wotherspoon or especially Forbort get glossed over.

He's going to make mistakes. But the whole defensive corps is making mistakes right now. Let's see what the kid has. I love it.

With Lindholm and McAvoy, they have the size, strength, and battle factor to push back when the puck becomes a board battle. Grz has been getting overwhelmed by his lack of size, strength and space needed to do his thing when the forecheck closes in on him.

Reactions: bme44

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

McAvoy and Lindholm contribute even with their mistakes.

Gryz is a 1 trick pony that cant even do his 1 trick

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I truly hope we have watched the last game of Gryz in a Bruin uniform . His contributions in comparison to his contract has been a black hole for far to long. I wish him well .wherever he continues to play after this year. Just let it be anywhere but the Bruins

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This one, where Grzelcyk gets bullied down to the ice by Tavares right in front of Ullmark caused my brain to blue screen.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I truly hope we have watched the last game of Gryz in a Bruin uniform . His contributions in comparison to his contract has been a black hole for far to long. I wish him well .wherever he continues to play after this year. Just let it be anywhere but the Bruins

If this becomes a playoff run, he'll most likely suit up again. Playoffs have become a war of attrition and it's usually all hands on deck. Also, matchups can dictate if he's needed or not.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
If this becomes a playoff run, he'll most likely suit up again. Playoffs have become a war of attrition and it's usually all hands on deck. Also, matchups can dictate if he's needed or not.
We have 7D that should dress before him if Peeke recovers that makes 8

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Like I said, war of attrition. All it takes is one bad game where two dmen get hurt or suck to the point where changes are needed.
I understand what you are saying, and I would love to see the Bruins have a solid run. What I am saying is Gryz is not a player I want the Bruins to go to war with. The playoffs are a war

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad