Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And of course this all assumes that Seattle takes a d man from Boston whereas in reality we have no idea what choices they will have from 31 others teams as well as what their team-building philosphy will be like.

Good point.

Their could easily be a decent forward option there to choose from. If the Bruins bring in a scoring winger with term beyond this year, they'll basically protect 7 F and leave one pretty good F exposed. Or if say Bjork or Ritchie develop into quality players this coming year.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Good point.

Their could easily be a decent forward option there to choose from. If the Bruins bring in a scoring winger with term beyond this year, they'll basically protect 7 F and leave one pretty good F exposed. Or if say Bjork or Ritchie develop into quality players this coming year.
Bjork was starting to look real good imo. Points don’t tell the whole story.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bjork was starting to look real good imo. Points don’t tell the whole story.

He was fine up until late in the season. Then you could see he hit a wall.

Bjork's biggest issue IMO is has simply hasn't gotten used to the long grind of a 82 game season + playoffs. Coming from the NCAA where they only play 40-odd games, missing so much time in years 1 and 2 of his pro career didn't do him any favors. It's too bad even last year he finally got in 65 (NHL + AHL) before the shut-down.

I found Blake Wheeler in his two years here the same thing. Wasn't used to the grind and ineffective in March/April/May, lights out in Oct/Nov.

Reactions: Kegs and Estlin

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Crazy strategy:

Throw the Gryz arbitration hearing in the expectation that a higher salary from him will mean even higher salaries for other guys in arbitration after him.

Sure, it's a bit of pain for the Bruins but they have the space to take it. Meanwhile, it would cripple some other teams.

Reactions: veganbruin

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
He is likely worth whatever he gets in arbitration. And we don’t have a choice unless we want to gut the last of our LD. I know it’s optimistic but Still think his upside is Duncan Keith. Analytics love him, it would be great to see him make the jump to put up legit points this season.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
He is likely worth whatever he gets in arbitration. And we don’t have a choice unless we want to gut the last of our LD. I know it’s optimistic but Still think his upside is Duncan Keith. Analytics love him, it would be great to see him make the jump to put up legit points this season.

God I hope you're right, but that is a tall tall very tall hill to climb. Duncan Keith was one of the best dmen in the league in his prime.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think his upside is a good solid 2nd pair D . He has incredible skating ability but I don’t think he has the “ stick skills “ to be a legit 1st pair D . I hope the Bruins aren’t planning on him being able to replace Krug on the power play . That’s just not his game .

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
God I hope you're right, but that is a tall tall very tall hill to climb. Duncan Keith was one of the best dmen in the league in his prime.
The year Chicago lost to Van in 7,guess that was the Bruins cup year, he put on a 3 game display that was some of the best hockey I’ve ever watched.

If Gryz hits half of that I’d be delighted

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

member 96824

Gryz is 3 months away from being 27. How much more growth in his game do you expect to get to Keith level?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Gryz is 3 months away from being 27. How much more growth in his game do you expect to get to Keith level?

He won't be Duncan Keith. He is different developmentally though, having not really become a regular till 25. I expect his game to grow some more with better minutes and more responsibility but he is never going to be that Keith at his best level. Solid top 4 guy but no all-star.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He is a lot better than most fans give him credit for IMO.

I guess what I should say is that I don't think the gap between him and Krug is that wide if they are given the same role.
I agree except for the power play aspect of it . He just doesn’t have Krug’s vision and passing ability . He could slide in nicely next to Carlo and be a 2nd pair D .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Most underrated player on the B’s.

Would he be a UFA if he gets a 1yr award?

Might be worthwhile for the Bruins. Makes him less attractive to Seattle in an expansion draft (they can sign him before the draft but then it counts as their pick from the Bruins).

That being said, if either Lauzon or Zboril step-up this season they way management are hoping they will, Gryz probably isn't the guy you worry about protecting along with Carlo/McAvoy.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Nice. Not that I was concerned about him returning, but glad it got done and there was no need for the potential bitterness that can come from arbitration.
I somehow don’t believe there would ever be that bitterness in this relationship. Not with Grizz. Them hashing out a deal before arbitration is the least surprising thing since Craig Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad