Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Any chance this guy puts on Bruins uniform this season? Seems like he has some special talent. I remember that Gaudreau went from BC to the Flames last year and played in a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Like him a lot as a prospect, but I don't see it happening this year.

Soon though. Maybe next year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
BU making the Frozen Four here in town might determine if he plays in a game for us. The 2 week delay due to hockey not wanting to go head to head with the BB Final FOur could be the difference if he spends time with our big club or not. Too low on the depth chart to get any chance in the playoffs without injuries.

If Providence makes the playoffs he will be able to step in and play a big role though. 2 current young Bruins D men earned their shots through good play early in the AHL playoffs 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I doubt it... He'll probably finish his career at college then get a shot here. If he does well, he'll stay, if not, will play in Providence for a year or two. Looks like we have a good one on our hands, though

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is unlikely to happen just due to the schedule.

Beyond that defense is a much harder transition from college than RW. I can;t imagine Matt G not needing 1-2 years in the AHL to develop his defensive zone skills against men

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I doubt it... He'll probably finish his career at college then get a shot here. If he does well, he'll stay, if not, will play in Providence for a year or two. Looks like we have a good one on our hands, though

Krug left msu after his junior year and his numbers were similar to grizz that year (11 g 22 a 38 gp) grizz ( 8 g 22 a 33 gp) wouldn't be a shock to see him jump to the ahl and follow toreys exact path. Starting next year

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It is unlikely to happen just due to the schedule.

Beyond that defense is a much harder transition from college than RW. I can;t imagine Matt G not needing 1-2 years in the AHL to develop his defensive zone skills against men

which, unless he proves to be special, is the wisest way to do it

PlaceboFan

Sep 24, 2014
Looks very similar to Krug, what are the differences between them? I don't think the team can have two Krugs in the lineup at the same time, so you'd expect that one of them will be traded at some point.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I would like to see him turn pro next season, play a year in Providence, then jump into the lineup the following season and make an immediate impact. We can move Krug for an asset. Grzelcyk defends better than Krug, and probably sees the ice better.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Grzelcyk , Krug and Warsofsky are card carrying members of The Lolipop Guild.

1 or even 2 would have to go.

I don't see any chance Warsofsky ever plays a significant role in this organization, and i tend to doubt at the NHL level anywhere. He is older, smaller, and less skilled than Krug

Grz is probably a bit shorter than Krug, but like Krug he is more built than DW is.

Grz might be an option for Boston in a couple years right about the time Krug is ready to get a real big contract

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Is he gonna be in Prov this season? Would be good if he can be groomed early and be a Krug replacement for when we can't afford Krug and trade him.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Is he gonna be in Prov this season? Would be good if he can be groomed early and be a Krug replacement for when we can't afford Krug and trade him.
From what I have seen of him, I'd rank him better than Warsofsky and not as good as Krug when comparing O-D-men of similar size.

He's the Terrier captain and, if Eichel stays at B.U., Grzelcyk may stay for one more shot at the National Title.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
From what I have seen of him, I'd rank him better than Warsofsky and not as good as Krug when comparing O-D-men of similar size.

He's the Terrier captain and, if Eichel stays at B.U., Grzelcyk may stay for one more shot at the National Title.

I thought it was all ut a given that Eichel would be playing for Buffalo next season when hes drafted...interesting. Well this is the problem the Bs now have, 3 players that are all similar, Krug better but will probably price himself out of Boston. Warsofski to me right now is expendable and should be used in a trade

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought it was all ut a given that Eichel would be playing for Buffalo next season when hes drafted...interesting. Well this is the problem the Bs now have, 3 players that are all similar, Krug better but will probably price himself out of Boston. Warsofski to me right now is expendable and should be used in a trade

Warsofsky is a Group VI UFA (he turns 25 tomorrow and has played less than 80 NHL games over 3 pro seasons) and has zero trade value now.

Problem solved, Warsofsky likely leaves Boston for a team he has a better chance at making or goes over to Europe where he can make a lot more than he can in the AHL.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

O'Gara may be the best defenseman in the system with his size , speed , smarts and leadership . I think he's a future top 4 with what I've read and heard and there are people I trust that love him as well.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
O'Gara may be the best defenseman in the system with his size , speed , smarts and leadership . I think he's a future top 4 with what I've read and heard and there are people I trust that love him as well.
He should be entering his Senior year at Yale. Hope he doesn't pull a Kevin Hayes/Blake Wheeler.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He should be entering his Senior year at Yale. Hope he doesn't pull a Kevin Hayes/Blake Wheeler.

I think the Bruins have a good clear path to the NHL for quality dmen with aging vets and limited depth. He also played at Milton I think so he's familiar with the area. The islanders are his hometown team but with boychuk, leddy, hamonic, reinhart, pulock, there isn't a path for him to go back to Long Island. Pretty confident he'll sign after getting his Yale degree

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Partially torn ACL

One interesting player who will not take part in the B’s development camp is Boston University defenseman Matt Grzelcyk, the team’s second-round pick (85th overall) in 2012. The 21-year-old from Charlestown played the last month of last season with a sore knee. A partially torn ACL was diagnosed well after the season ended, and he had surgery in May in preparation for his senior campaign.

“We’re anticipating he probably won’t be ready to start the season, but maybe start playing about Nov. 1,†BU coach David Quinn said. “He’s working out very well already. These guys are recovering quicker and quicker from this injury, in 5-6 months.â€

Quinn is quite confident the 5-foot-10, 176-pound Grzelcyk has a bright NHL future.

“I think he’s an unbelievable prospect,†Quinn said. “I think he’s an NHL player. Donnie (Sweeney) and I have been talking about this for awhile now.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...s/2015/07/bruins_rookie_camp_developed_nicely

5pointslow

Feb 11, 2015
Taunton ma
Saw him play last night kid looks very good and has good puck instincts ...seems to be a smart skater

Any shots on bruins next year ? Or providence

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Grzelcyk , Krug and Warsofsky are card carrying members of The Lolipop Guild.

1 or even 2 would have to go.

Edit: the op was posted a year ago. I see it now.. Thanks Nugs ;)

Warsofsky's in the Penguins now. He signed with them last summer. He's been out with a concussion since mid January but it looks like he is returning and was just sent down on a conditioning assignment as of this weekend.

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Warsofsky's in the Penguins now. He signed with them last summer. He's been out with a concussion since mid January but it looks like he is returning and was just sent down on a conditioning assignment as of this weekend.

wally posted that last year - someone bumped this thread up.

one thing grizzy and krug differ in is their shots. krug has a bomb, grizzy not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad