News Article: Matt Greene Expected Back in a Month

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Gotta pick up another d-man for the playoffs... No way the Kings can expect Greene to be back to 100% and be effective stepping right into the playoffs, right?

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
No need to rush him, in all honesty. Back surgery is one of the toughest, nobody wants him to suffer through that for the rest of his life. I still don't think we see him, or Willie Mitchell this year.

Ron*

Gotta pick up another d-man for the playoffs... No way the Kings can expect Greene to be back to 100% and be effective stepping right into the playoffs, right?

Even in a diminished capacity he's gotta be better than the way Martinez is playing.

I am not sure what Sutter would do in this situation. Seat Muzzin? Seat Ellerby? Another challenge for the coach.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Greene is in skating rehab so that is a great thing. DL says a month likely means that they expect him to be physically back to 100% in that time. MG's game is going to need work but his presence on the roster should be in 3 weeks give or take. If everything goes as planned he should be practicing with the team within the next couple of weeks.

Great news for us.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Greene is a very good player as long as he plays 3rd pair defense and top pair penalty killer.
Play Greene on the 1st or 2nd pair he is a liability. Mitchell on the other hand can play any pair D and 1st pair penalty killer and be ++ That is the difference between the two.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Even in a diminished capacity he's gotta be better than the way Martinez is playing.

I am not sure what Sutter would do in this situation. Seat Muzzin? Seat Ellerby? Another challenge for the coach.

Martinez will be back with his regular D-partner, Greene. If Martinez struggles, Ellerby can take his place.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Wonder what kind of back surgery he had and the lasting impact of that. Right before the playoffs? Seriously doubt anyone is 100% back to form and ready for that intensity. Need to bolster the D and grab a top pairing D man if we're serious about a cup.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Either way, we have someone to replace Drewiske.

Maybe we can deal him for a conditional 8th.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
meh...it'll be great to have him back but no need to rush. Our D for the most part has been pretty good other than some growing pains with the young guys. Considering we're missing our top 2 stay at home defenseman we seem to being doing pretty good. If we were out of the 8th spot by a few points i'd be more worried but our D seems to be holding its own right now.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Either way, we have someone to replace Drewiske.

Maybe we can deal him for a conditional 8th.

DD44 has been fine. He is perfect for the 7th Dman. Comes in with few mistakes after being in the press box for a long time. Not an everyday guy and has no problem with his role. He wont be looking for a huge raise either.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
I do agree that martinez is the one you scratch if greener comes back based on his play this year.

Just doesn't look as comfortable/poised as he did in last years run. Maybe that "upper-body injury" is still hampering him.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
We already heard his recovery was going well. I doubt that "one month" is the short end of his expected time. He's probably 2-4 weeks away and they decided to state the latter of that timeframe. The real problem will be once he is healthy that he needs to get back to game speed. Honestly, I would be 100% fine with dressing 7 D for a game or two to get him limited minutes until he gets his feet back under him and is ready to come back full time.

KingKopitar11*

Either Muzzin or Ellerby. Martinez has play off experience.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Muzzin, Ellerby, Martinez ... then again maybe Drew he's been overworked, or Scuderi overworked and has looked tired at times ... hell maybe even Voynov ... that is IF we don't trade Voynov first because he's a greedy little elf ;) ... awwww hell I can't decided who to sit when Greener comes back ... I guess I'll just have to leave that up to Coach Daryl Sutter. :sarcasm:

... and yes, being a smartass is better than being a dumbass, so thanks for asking ;)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ellerby is the one who should sit IMO. He has potential but makes quite a few wtf decisions.

Will be great to have Greene back.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Does the :sarcasm: mean that you do have a comment?

Isn't by definition saying no comment in itself actually a comment ?

And if a hockey fan types a comment on the interwebs boards but there's no one there to read it, was anything actually commented on afterall ? hmmmmm :sarcasm:

;) sorry, in one of those moods I guess today :)

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Muzzin, Ellerby, Martinez ... then again maybe Drew he's been overworked, or Scuderi overworked and has looked tired at times ... hell maybe even Voynov ... that is IF we don't trade Voynov first because he's a greedy little elf ;) ... awwww hell I can't decided who to sit when Greener comes back ... I guess I'll just have to leave that up to Coach Daryl Sutter. :sarcasm:

... and yes, being a smartass is better than being a dumbass, so thanks for asking ;)

As I said earlier, I think we could see Darryl use 7 defenseman immediately after Greene is back. Ease him in slowly and find out who's going to be the odd man out.

Sydor25

LA Kings
As I said earlier, I think we could see Darryl use 7 defenseman immediately after Greene is back. Ease him in slowly and find out who's going to be the odd man out.

I don't see it with Sutter's love of rolling 4 lines and I agree with Sutter on rolling 4 lines. Greene will have to show that he is ready in practice before getting into a game. Ellerby and Martinez will battle for the 3rd pairing with Greene. Kings would be back to their Left-Right pairings.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I don't see it with Sutter's love of rolling 4 lines and I agree with Sutter on rolling 4 lines. Greene will have to show that he is ready in practice before getting into a game. Ellerby and Martinez will battle for the 3rd pairing with Greene. Kings would be back to their Left-Right pairings.

Wasn't it Sutter who put 5 dman on for a PP in Calgary once...or am I misremembering? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad