Confirmed with Link: Matt Greene Bought Out, Joining Kings Front Office (as scout)

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
These posts sound like someone who just passed away. All compliments for a guy who was probably blasted on this forum more than anyone except D. Brown. :laugh:

Well, there is a contingent that doesn't understand the cumulative effects of a guy like Greene just hammering opposition forwards all game but they sure can see an interference minor.

He definitely didn't have "it" anymore after the 2013 back injury, although he stepped up in the 2014 playoffs. Easy to get ragged on after that time but, man, he got crapped on prior to that when he was easily underrated when it came to physical, stay-at-home defensemen around the league.

A friend of mine--a Ducks fan--couldn't believe the grief he was getting on this board. Would have happily taken him on the Ducks.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Dude will make an excellent coach. Loved him as a player, always gave 100%. His reaction to a goal he scored (may have been his last) was priceless. Just shrugged his shoulders almost apologetically, true gamer.

MattGreenGoalFaceCROP.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The trade for Stoll and Greene was the beginning of the culture change.

Greene's leadership will be and has been missed.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Dude was a beast. I'm glad he got to retire before he became too big of an issue on ice. Playing physically like he did really wears on a person and your game suffers from the toll it takes. Love the look on his face after his last goal.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
one of my favorite Kings. Thanks for everything Greene

I'll never forget this video... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qRxDUf6WI0

Total classic. I looked for the KingsVision clip from 2010 where I asked him how much water was crushed after a blowout win against CBJ and when the playoff beards start but, not surprisingly, it is no longer online.

Love that YT video though. Dumbbells. Need 'em.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Feels like I've already said goodbye to the guy since he's barely played the last couple of years.

In his prime he was a monster and a big part of the Kings identity. Greene was just a puck eating, slot clearing machine that would beat the snot out of you anywhere on the ice. Except in actual fights ;)

Seriously, how lucky were the Kings to have him and Martinez anchor the THIRD pair for their cup runs?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He played an old school brand of hockey that you don't really such much of anymore. When he was at his peak he would regularly dog out opposing forwards. He perfected the art of playing on the edge; he'd rough up the opposition as much as he possibly could without getting a roughing/interference penalty. It was beautiful.

Best of luck to you Matt.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He played an old school brand of hockey that you don't really such much of anymore. When he was at his peak he would regularly dog out opposing forwards. He perfected the art of playing on the edge; he'd rough up the opposition as much as he possibly could without getting a roughing/interference penalty. It was beautiful.

Best of luck to you Matt.

He really was as clean a player as a guy could be for being as rugged as he was. Total expert at using both upper body AND lower body in his hits and pins and was strong enough to do both (as opposed to like JMFJ who just tried to kill everyone with his upper body every time). And of course as you say, just punching bagged people, that had to be exhausting to deal with.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He really was as clean a player as a guy could be for being as rugged as he was. Total expert at using both upper body AND lower body in his hits and pins and was strong enough to do both (as opposed to like JMFJ who just tried to kill everyone with his upper body every time). And of course as you say, just punching bagged people, that had to be exhausting to deal with.

So much fun to watch as a STHer. No secret I love physical hockey.

**** this current team is boring to watch.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So much fun to watch as a STHer. No secret I love physical hockey.

**** this current team is boring to watch.

I like physical hockey. I like creative hockey. Last year's team was neither.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
My two good buddies are Blues fans and when we beat them in the playoffs in 2012 they both said the Kings D of Greene, Mitchell and Scuderi was too tough for them. Not as in fighting tough, but hard to play against, heavy sticks, throwing checks, boxing guys out. Was just too much for the Blues. Scuderi and Mitchell were both early 30's and still had enough in the tank. Green was only 29 and he was a beast with a young Martinez.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Got message from Jon Rosen about that article that he is staying with Kings as a pro scout and answer was that it might be true but could come after if he retires.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
Matt Greene to become scout for kings.

“@lakingsinsider: Again, not final, but it looks like one significant responsibility of Matt Greene’s pro scouting duties would be as an AHL-Pacific scout.â€

“@lakingsinsider: BTW, Matt Greene may remain with the organization as a pro scout. Believe @sportsnet also had this. Nothing official decided as of now.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad