Matt Frattin

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I think it'll be between him and Toffoli for that 2nd line LW spot and Toffoli will all depend on IF he can play LW or not. And that's a huge if. I'm not sure about PP time. Kopi, Richards, Carter, Williams, Brown, Toffoli, and Stoll for his draws and shot would probably get PP time over him. I'd just like him to be an upgrade over Penner, which isn't saying much but would be a huge help for this team.

Captain Mittens*

What are the chances he ends up in the top 6 w/ pp time this year? is he most likely to play with Richards and Carter? what are you guys expecting from him?

90 goals. I also expect him to win the Art Ross, Masterton, Selke, and Conn Smythe

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Sutter is definitely going to give him and Toffoli a shot there, and probably Carcillo too. Unless someone just takes over and dominates the spot, it will probably get a bit of a rotation throughout the season and Sutter auditions for the best fit.

Dropdapuck

Jul 21, 2010
I know this isn't popular but King probably can't be excluded from the mix especially if Frattin doesn't grab it. Toffoli's skill could overwhelm the issue but Sutter will probably want a big body/puck control guy on that line.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Frattin's the front runner for the spot.

Don't really see Toffoli on a line with Carter/Richards. Skill wise it could work, but the line has no physicality.

Carcillo will be lucky to play half the games this season due to suspensions, injuries, and sucking.

I'm also surprised Clifford's name hasn't come up yet!!! IMO it's really between Clifford and Frattin, with King as a long shot.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I know this isn't popular but King probably can't be excluded from the mix especially if Frattin doesn't grab it. Toffoli's skill could overwhelm the issue but Sutter will probably want a big body/puck control guy on that line.

Exactly

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

Don't really see Toffoli on a line with Carter/Richards. Skill wise it could work, but the line has no physicality.

Carcillo will be lucky to play half the games this season due to suspensions, injuries, and sucking.

I'm also surprised Clifford's name hasn't come up yet!!! IMO it's really between Clifford and Frattin, with King as a long shot.

Exactly. Fans keep talking about Toffoli playing with Richards and Carter but why would the Kings do that? Toffoli and Carter are similar players and TT would be playing on his off wing. That line had success with size, ie, Penner in the playoffs and they rotated King and Clifford while Penner stunk.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6089

Frattin is listed as a LW/RW.

I see Frattin playing in that spot and possibly Carcillo or Clifford also if he flails. But Frattin is fast and physical and can play both wing positions.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I really WISH that could be the case.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Exactly. Fans keep talking about Toffoli playing with Richards and Carter but why would the Kings do that? Toffoli and Carter are similar players and TT would be playing on his off wing. That line had success with size, ie, Penner in the playoffs and they rotated King and Clifford while Penner stunk.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6089

Frattin is listed as a LW/RW.

I see Frattin playing in that spot and possibly Carcillo or Clifford also if he flails. But Frattin is fast and physical and can play both wing positions.

This is what I see too.

Happy to have Carcillo on the team, kid can scrap a bit as well as play somewhat decently too.

Frattin has this jab that he uses in fights sort of a short choppy poke with his right hand that is really effective. Not saying he is a hitter, just that he can handle himself if he has to.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Frattin has only 1 fight in his career. He hits and is built but he doesn't fight really. He is sort of a poor mans Dustin Brown.

Carcillo, on the other hand might just be the best fighter on the Kings now. Nolan proved last year he might be better than Clifford, but Carcillo has some big wins in his career over guys much bigger and experienced. KO over Barch, TKO over Shawn Thornton.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Frattin has only 1 fight in his career. He hits and is built but he doesn't fight really. He is sort of a poor mans Dustin Brown.

Carcillo, on the other hand might just be the best fighter on the Kings now. Nolan proved last year he might be better than Clifford, but Carcillo has some big wins in his career over guys much bigger and experienced. KO over Barch, TKO over Shawn Thornton.

MF has one "official" fight but he has had several ruff ups in NCAA. Gloves on of course but I think he can bring more to the NHL. He also hasn't played too many pro games. Time will tell.

Carcillo can throw, looks like we both like his game.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
MF has one "official" fight but he has had several ruff ups in NCAA. Gloves on of course but I think he can bring more to the NHL. He also hasn't played too many pro games. Time will tell.

Carcillo can throw, looks like we both like his game.

I wouldn't really say Carcillo is a guy to be liked. He's more of a necessary evil that DL got for cheap.

However if we wind up needing him and he actually accomplishes what he's here to do, I reserve the right to like him. :)

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Essentially Frattin replaces Penner and Carcillo replaces Richardson and formerly Westgarth.

Toffoli is the x factor if he makes the team, forcing the Kings probably to deal one of the bottom six.

I personally see King or Fraser moved. Kings can easily put Clifford with Stoll/Toffoli and then put Carcillo with Lewis/Nolan.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You forgot the Maurice Richard trophy and that he makes history by beating Quick for the Vezina.

They'll unretire Gretzky's number and have Frattin wear it. They'll rename the Richard trophy to the Frattin trophy, they'll let him unilaterally choose who wins the Pearson trophy. Frattin will now announce the first round draft picks and hand the Stanley Cup to himself each year, the formerly known as Stanley Cup. Upper Deck will have to make more room on the back of hockey cards to incorporate the first triple digit goal total in one season and bump up the career goal stat to be able to hold a four digit value.

The Bulls will retire HIS jersey.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

Wow. Sensationalism from start to finish. I somewhat agree but this is over the top. Richards is physical and many teams play with a softer line.

Your point about Carcillo is just silly. Lucky to play half his games due to suspensions, injuries and suckiness. I take it you don't like him.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

And that means exactly what when it comes to potentially playing 2nd line, or even playing at all?

This is like talking about how far a baseball player can hit the ball in BP or off a tee.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sutter is definitely going to give him and Toffoli a shot there, and probably Carcillo too. Unless someone just takes over and dominates the spot, it will probably get a bit of a rotation throughout the season and Sutter auditions for the best fit.

I hope there isn't a rotation, that line needs stability. The need to use training camp, preseason games and the start of the year to see how well Frattin fits in there. His style is a much better fit and give that line the balance (playmaker, shooter, power forward/physical presence) than Toffoli who is a shooter like Carter.

ANd establishing one winger early on, and letting the line gel together is important.
From what I've read, Frattin has been working out all summer in LA and really wants to establish himself on wing. And I think the Kings style of play and Sutter's coaching suit him well. His physical game is what that line needs to create space. ANd he's shown he has the ability to drive to the net, an isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas to score. Seems like it'l lbe a good fit.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
90 goals. I also expect him to win the Art Ross, Masterton, Selke, and Conn Smythe

I concur, in addition to a Cy Young, NBA 6th Man award and the pole position at Indy.

To answer the OP, I think we'll see several players tried out there over the year, Frattin, Toffoli, maybe Pearson, likely King again, even Carcillo due to the chemistry issue. Injury and performance will likely end up determining who gets the bulk of the playing time, especially in the second half of the season.

I personally think Frattin can get 25 goals this season, give or take. I'm not saying we'll end up 'winning' that trade -Bernier could be VERY special for Toronto- but Frattin is a guy I think the Leafs will really wish they had back long-term.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Wow. Sensationalism from start to finish. I somewhat agree but this is over the top. Richards is physical and many teams play with a softer line.

Your point about Carcillo is just silly. Lucky to play half his games due to suspensions, injuries and suckiness. I take it you don't like him.

Sensational!!!! I'm just stoked you liked my writing.

Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carcillo
Carcillo played 28 games in 11-12, and 23 games in 12-13

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678136
Deal is contingent on 40 games being played. It seems to me that the Kings and the Hawks both thought that if Carcillo managed to play over 40 games additional compensation was in order. Leads me to believe that both clubs feel there's a good chance Carcillo won't play 40 games.

Carcillo fined/suspended 10 times
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=147177

So yeah based off his last 2 seasons, his suspension record, and the trade I'd go out on a limb and say Carcillo will be lucky to play half (around 40) games.

Forgot: Carcillo has scored 4 goals in the last 2 seasons being out scored by King over that stretch and tying Nolan. Think that's a safe bet to say he sucks.

Edit: perfect fit for playing with Richards/Carter. Haahhah who's got that clip of Carcillo laying Carter from back in Philly

KingKopitar11*

They'll unretire Gretzky's number and have Frattin wear it. They'll rename the Richard trophy to the Frattin trophy, they'll let him unilaterally choose who wins the Pearson trophy. Frattin will now announce the first round draft picks and hand the Stanley Cup to himself each year, the formerly known as Stanley Cup. Upper Deck will have to make more room on the back of hockey cards to incorporate the first triple digit goal total in one season and bump up the career goal stat to be able to hold a four digit value.

The Bulls will retire HIS jersey.

Thanks for the laugh :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad