Value of: Matt Dumba

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he wanted to bet on himself he could take the one year route a la Barrie and go to Edmonton on a cheaper deal. Would likely ensnare some GM into giving him a multi year deal after pumping his numbers.

Of course the fear is always that GM would then be Holland. But I feel like he'd be an upgrade on Ceci whom I do like.
If he was going to take a cheaper deal he would probably stay in MN. They like him, as evidenced by the fact that he’s got a letter, and he is a popular player. Mn will have bit more money to pay him in 24-25, and a boatload in 25-26, when the cap'penalties are finally off the books, more or less.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm guessing his salary starts with a 4.

Despite what others say, his shot is gone. Hasn't been the same since he tore his pec. He doesn't even attempt slap shots anymore. Gets beat out by Brodin for PP time.
Both his slap shot and wrist shot still have plenty of zip. Still among the hardest on the team, if not the hardest. Not sure how he stacks up to the best in the league, though.

It’s pretty clear that Evason wants both he, and the rest of the team, to play defensively. Dumba is following his marching orders. Playing loose early in the season with .Dmen jumping up in the play produced some pretty ugly results, somthey’ve gone to a style that has them winning 2-1, 2-0, rather than losing 5-4.

I don’t know what Guerin is thinking. Earlier this year he has referenced that it is a “difficult spot” for Dumba to be in, but I wonder if the recent benching of Addison(ELC, point producing RHD)might not be a sign that they are going to move him in the off season, and try to get Dumba to sign a “bridge” contract till they have more money in 25-26. It’s possible, if he doesn’t get good offers elsewhere.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Both his slap shot and wrist shot still have plenty of zip. Still among the hardest on the team, if not the hardest. Not sure how he stacks up to the best in the league, though.

It’s pretty clear that Evason wants both he, and the rest of the team, to play defensively. Dumba is following his marching orders. Playing loose early in the season with .Dmen jumping up in the play produced some pretty ugly results, somthey’ve gone to a style that has them winning 2-1, 2-0, rather than losing 5-4.

I don’t know what Guerin is thinking. Earlier this year he has referenced that it is a “difficult spot” for Dumba to be in, but I wonder if the recent benching of Addison(ELC, point producing RHD)might not be a sign that they are going to move him in the off season, and try to get Dumba to sign a “bridge” contract till they have more money in 25-26. It’s possible, if he doesn’t get good offers elsewhere.
His shooting percentage pre pec tear was an average of 8.6%. Since it's 5.2%.

He never even takes a slap shot anymore, because he knows it's not what it was.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don't think a 28 year old that can point to being 1/2 of one of the better goal suppression pairings in the NHL is going to take a prove-it contract. He can just look across the lockerroom now and see the downside.

I'm guessing it'll be a 5-6 year x $5-$6 million deal.

How much of that is due to being a biproduct of some insanely good goaltending?

The underlaying numbers suggest this is a player that is struggling to stay above water at even strength. His offensive game has also completely dried up.

Simply from an outsiders perspective that projection seems absurdly high. I think he would be counting his lucky stars to get an offer like that.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Dumba doesn't seem like he'd be against returning, but the team doesn't seem interested in term. I think there's a team out there that goes pretty deep for him on the UFA market, with no expectation they're getting much offense from him. Strictly steady defense and some snarl.

If that doesn't materialize a few days into free agency, maybe he and the Wild would touch base and reach some sort of accommodation? I see him at least wanting to test the waters if the Wild are hedging in talks, though. I think he believes there's more of a market out there for him, and I suspect he's right.

The coming two-year cap squeeze, and $14.7M cap penalty, was always going to bump some players from the Wild's core. I think many always assumed he'd be one of them.

Reactions: Marshall

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
GMs see a right shot defenceman in free agency and logic usually leaves the discussion. I could see him getting 5-6M long term from a desperate GM

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Dumba was a self rental for the Wild. He’ll leave for sure in UFA. Likely on a short term contract.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
While there only has to be at least one dum dum GM I can't imagine anyone giving him term with a $5-6M AAV. His shot was his bread and butter. Now that that is seemingly gone, is he a $6M defenseman? Not on my ledger

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba doesn't seem like he'd be against returning, but the team doesn't seem interested in term. I think there's a team out there that goes pretty deep for him on the UFA market, with no expectation they're getting much offense from him. Strictly steady defense and some snarl.

If that doesn't materialize a few days into free agency, maybe he and the Wild would touch base and reach some sort of accommodation? I see him at least wanting to test the waters if the Wild are hedging in talks, though. I think he believes there's more of a market out there for him, and I suspect he's right.

The coming two-year cap squeeze, and $14.7M cap penalty, was always going to bump some players from the Wild's core. I think many always assumed he'd be one of them.
Not sure what you are saying. The obstacle to signing Dumba is his cap hit over the next two years, not the length of the contract.

Again, his shot is not "gone". It might not be what it once was, but it clearly still has above average speed, compared to the other dmen on the Wild.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I’d like to see him retire a wild player but he’d have to take a pretty low 2 year deal with the promise of being offered a 6 year after that

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Reminds me of a right handed Tory Krug.Size hurts him in D Zone,Probably a 4 on a descent team,but could be oNhl a 5-6 on top teams.Anything over 4.5 million is an overpay!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad