Matt Duchene

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Do you guys think he can play in the NHL next season? His listed size is about 5'11" 195 pounds. Also if he does, what kind of impact do you guys think he'll have his first season.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Do you guys think he can play in the NHL next season? His listed size is about 5'11" 195 pounds. Also if he does, what kind of impact do you guys think he'll have his first season.

I think he will. He`s got an NHL body with NHL speed and smarts. He`s a sure bet IMO to play next year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think a good comparison for him would be Mathew Lombardi. I also could see him ending up a Rob Schremp, he is an extremely cocky player.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
I think a good comparison for him would be Mathew Lombardi. I also could see him ending up a Rob Schremp, he is an extremely cocky player.

Based on what exactly? Met the kid, safe to say he won't be walking out of any interviews.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Haha, thats hilarious. Have u ever watched an interview with this kid or anything? i've been following him the last half of the junior season, and this kid is very down to earth and a team player.

As for the question of him making the team...i had my doubts originally... but, if he does end up in Denver i really like his chances. The team is so so so brutal that i think his speed and skill could make an immediate impact. with that being said i think lots of it depends on how he plays in camp. if he shows up and shows he can play, i think he sticks. sure, id love to see him in the NHL next year....but if he goes to junior next year and dominates, plus makes team canada...i really have no complaints about that.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
LOL to the above posts.

Duchene will be similar to Stamkos in my opinion....meaning similar rookie years.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada

Lombardi? Why because he's fast ? that would be where I draw the line on the comparisons with Duchene. Shremp? not even close if you watch this kid play you can see he has top end skating ability that allows him to get to areas of open ice which opens the game up quite considerably for his team. I know Robbie Shremp personally and he's a great guy but he does have a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes thats a good thing. Duchene is nothing like Robbie. I've met them both and they don't seem similar at all.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Lombardi? Why because he's fast ? that would be where I draw the line on the comparisons with Duchene. Shremp? not even close if you watch this kid play you can see he has top end skating ability that allows him to get to areas of open ice which opens the game up quite considerably for his team. I know Robbie Shremp personally and he's a great guy but he does have a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes thats a good thing. Duchene is nothing like Robbie. I've met them both and they don't seem similar at all.

I see a better Mathew Lombardi in this guy because of his blistering speed, quick release, they are almost the same size and game style...

I also see a bit of potential Robbie Schremp in the guy because of his over excessive celebrations and what not.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I see a better Mathew Lombardi in this guy because of his blistering speed, quick release and game style really...

I also see a bit of potential Robbie Schremp in the guy because of his over excessive celebrations and what not.

I guess there's a lot of Robbie Shremp in Alex Ovechkin, too. Damn shame, Ovy had potential.

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
I think he'll definately get the nine-game tryout, with a strong possibility of sticking.

If he does stick, I think he'll get about 15/20.

Hopefully, though, he's sent back to junior for a year ala Hodgson and have a similar year as he did.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005

I've been watching this guy live at the Powerade Centre for the past two seasons. How does he celebrate excessively?

Tyler Myers

Feb 8, 2009
Sydney

lol really?

i personally think this guy turning into a richards/stamkos type of forwards... hes probably one of more complete forwards of this draft

ugotmybeef*

The right thing to do is send him back. I still think he needs some bulking up to do.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008

This is one of the 10 worst posts I have ever read. I don't really think I need to justify why.

Marsellus Wallace*

It's not worth rushing him. He'll be drafted by Colorado - they have no need to have him in the lineup next year. Hopefully he gets more time in Jr. and makes a big impact at the WJC as well.

Starrlinx

Sep 11, 2004
Seattle, WA
I think the perfect situation if the Avs draft him (as expected) is if Sakic comes back for one last season and Duchene can spend one more year in juniors.

Lol @ the Lombardi/Schremp comparisons. :biglaugh:

Please

Jun 9, 2008
Ontario
Hands down, the best thing about this site, is when some one sees a small scouting report on a prospect and then makes the biggest assumptions and guesses about a player, then shares it here, just to let everyone know that he/she knows absolutely nothing about that prospect.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I see a better Mathew Lombardi in this guy because of his blistering speed, quick release, they are almost the same size and game style...

Duchene has hands of stone too?!?!?

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
This whole Tavares-duchene drama reminds me of the 2001 draft when Spezza was billed as a top 2 pick all along but some people were arguing that Weiss was more complete and the next Yzerman and that he could very well be better than the one-dimensional Spezza...
You can teach defence, and I don't think Tavares will be harder to coach than Spezza.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
This whole Tavares-duchene drama reminds me of the 2001 draft when Spezza was billed as a top 2 pick all along but some people were arguing that Weiss was more complete and the next Yzerman and that he could very well be better than the one-dimensional Spezza...
You can teach defence, and I don't think Tavares will be harder to coach than Spezza.

I hate this logic.

"Weiss was called complete and he was a disappointment... so Duchene must be too."

What about Eric Staal, also drafted at third overall who was praised for his two way game and good speed?

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
I think it was accepted that Staal's talent level was at least on the same level as Horton's, but you mis-interpreted my post.
The aspect I was focusing on is the talent difference between Tavares and Duchene. From all accounts, Tavares is a superior offensive talent but people are claiming Duchene is a better prospect based on his two-way play. I was simply stating that I'd rather go with the elite offensive talent rather than the two-way player.

And I don't claim to know that Duchene will bust, simply that since I'm told he has a lower ceiling, I'd go with Tavares.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Right now Duchene is the most complete forward in the top 10. He really doesn't lack in any department.

I think he may make it out of camp but something tells me he'll get the 9 game tryout. Send him back to junior to be the leader. It's tough to be the leader with Hodgson on your team and get a chance at the WJC. But its the new NHL so anything can happen.

I don't see him putting up points right away. He'll e the second or third line player to start and work up from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad