Matt Duchene

Chea*

For those here who actually know a lot about Duchene and the Battalions:

Is there a chance his play is elevated by playing on a line with Grachev and also having Hodgson lessen the pressure by playing on the second line?

By the way I'm not trying to say anything against him as a prospect, I'm just curious if that could be a possibility.

Everyone has analyzed Tavares and Hedman to death, so I'm wondering about what the #3 guy will be like.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
For those here who actually know a lot about Duchene and the Battalions:

Is there a chance his play is elevated by playing on a line with Grachev and also having Hodgson lessen the pressure by playing on the second line?

By the way I'm not trying to say anything against him as a prospect, I'm just curious if that could be a possibility.

Everyone has analyzed Tavares and Hedman to death, so I'm wondering about what the #3 guy will be like.

Obviously it helps playing with Grachev. Duchene is a great playmaker, so playing with skilled players will help him. I don't think it's a reason to detract from the guy. From what I've seen, him and Grachev are equally dominant. Neither is pulling a Danny Rousin.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I'd love for the Leafs to draft B. Schenn, even at #3. But I just want to get a better idea of Duchene and whether he translates to be a star beyond the points he puts up.

He's an incredibly explosive skater and as a result, from what I've seen, is quite strong defensively.

Most scouting reports also suggest he's the best defensively out of the top-end forwards.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Can anyone tell me what makes Duchene clearly better than Schroeder. I'm not saying he isn't, but what I know/seen of Schroeder, he's pretty freakin good. I'd say Schroeder is well on his way to being a Parise/Kane type player, can the same be said for Duchene?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Somebody mentioned Toews as a bit of a comparative path for this kid. I never thought about it until then, but he really could be a Toews with more speed (which doesn't make him better, just a little different).

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
Can anyone tell me what makes Duchene clearly better than Schroeder. I'm not saying he isn't, but what I know/seen of Schroeder, he's pretty freakin good. I'd say Schroeder is well on his way to being a Parise/Kane type player, can the same be said for Duchene?

Duchene is built like a brick bungalow, Schroeder like the jockey on the lawn. MD isn't tall but he's pro solid in physique and has scary athleticism. No comparison. Schroeder is not Kane.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He's one of the most explosive skaters I've been able to see in recent years, I kinda get a bit of a Gaborik/Bure vibe from him in terms of his skating prowess compared to other players. I think he's got a good head for a game, is solidly built and whoever drafts him is going to be very, very happy. I think he's basically NHL ready right now, though I think he'll make a better winger in the NHL.

AgentNaslund*

Duchene reminds people of Pavel Bure, hes also 5'11 and growing.

Schroeder is 5'8. How many 5'8 players are there in the NHL? How many 5'8 players was drafted in the top 10? His size is risky. 5'8 and 5'10 is somewhat of a diffrence. You ask me to chose between Duchene or Schroeder it be Duchene in a heart beat. 30 gms will chose Duchene over Schroeder. Infact there is a good handful of players AFTER the top 2, that will probably go ahead of Schroeder. It's best you along with American fans stop hyping Schroeder. I have a feeling you guys are only talking about him because hes the only player that is representing the states right now comming into this draft, and you guys feel left out without having an American player to talk about.

Also recent rankings had Schroeder at 13, and Duchene at 3. Schroeder one of those risky players, highly skilled but lacked the size.

Chea*

Duchene is built like a brick bungalow, Schroeder like the jockey on the lawn. MD isn't tall but he's pro solid in physique and has scary athleticism. No comparison. Schroeder is not Kane.

I didn't know that. Would you say he's got a stronger build than Kane or Schenn?

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Love for the leafs to get Duchene and Kassian at the draft.

2010 season:

Cammalleri-Duchene-Nash
Kulemin-Grabovski-Tlusty
Hagman-Stajan-Stempniak
Mitchell-Moore-Mayers/D.Mitchell

Kaberle-Schenn
Stralman-Finger
White-Van Ryn

Pogge

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
this kid is the best skater in the draft in my opinion, in terms of pure speed. the only player that comes close is msp. however, somehting that makes duschene a better player than msp, in my opinion, is his ability to score and dish out the puck now. he can really skate and make plays at top speed, which is and underrated quality. his shot is lethal and he probably should shoot more, but he makes smart plays with the puck. he defintely is not the most defensively sound player amongst the the top end forwards, msp and schenn are better than he in that aspect. however, duschene has more potential than schenn and i really like duschene's game. he has worked hard to get to where he is, whihc is a great sign. right now i think he will go either 3 or 4 after that injury to cowen. a stellar prospect.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I didn't know that. Would you say he's got a stronger build than Kane or Schenn?

Kane really isn't that strong right now Duchene is for sure stronger but Schenn beats Duchene in strength. Schenn is a beast probably one of the most strongest players in the draft.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
this kid is the best skater in the draft in my opinion, in terms of pure speed. the only player that comes close is msp. however, somehting that makes duschene a better player than msp, in my opinion, is his ability to score and dish out the puck now. he can really skate and make plays at top speed, which is and underrated quality. his shot is lethal and he probably should shoot more, but he makes smart plays with the puck. he defintely is not the most defensively sound player amongst the the top end forwards, msp and schenn are better than he in that aspect. however, duschene has more potential than schenn and i really like duschene's game. he has worked hard to get to where he is, whihc is a great sign. right now i think he will go either 3 or 4 after that injury to cowen. a stellar prospect.

That definitely seems to fly in the face of most reports. I haven't seen a ton of Canadian Jr hockey this year but most of the time, I hear Schenn and Duchene being described as fairly defensively responsible given their ages while MSP is described as a pure offensive guy who needs to work on his defensive play. Anyone else that has seen these players play want to add their opinion on their defensive games?

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Definately stronger build than Kane. Probably stronger than Schenn too. Should be NHL ready next year.
I don't know, have you seen Schenn play? And did you see Kane at the WJC? Duchene seems speedier than those 2, but not broader/thicker

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
I don't know if Schenn would be strong/explosive enough to finish third in Ontario in the discus, pretty well self-coached in Haliburton in what is a ridiculously technical event. (A lot harder to do at 5'11 than you might know, shortest guy in the field

And yes, I saw all of the above play, first at U17s, Duchene in league play this year, Kane when I was in Ottawa, Schenn this winter at prospects game. Have stood across from all three -- much more solid than Kane, didn't get a real sense of Schenn in his street clothes.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
The other thing I'd say: Someone wrote that Duchene is growing. I'm not sure of that but he isn't one of these kids who's 18 going on 30. His success isn't the result of early physical maturity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad