Matt Duchene

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Matt Duchene has been known in the hockey world for a very long time. As a 15 year old with Midget AAA, Duchene scored 184 points in 64 games, ungodly numbers. Matt Duchene’s biggest asset is his eyes and his feet. His ability to see the ice and find gaps while going at top speed has created many offensive opportunities for Duchene. His shot isn’t to bad too, notching 30 goals. Duchene is a leader on ice and with more ice-time he should be able to begin putting up numbers close to his potential.

Duchene struggled a little early on last season adjusting to the OHL pace of the game, but made the transition later in the season quite well. Has great hands and possesses one the best shots in the OHL, with a very quick release. Was guilty of passing too much and not shooting enough, given the depth of line-mates he had. Make no mistake though. This guy is pure high-level sniper.

He is a decent passer and among the best skaters in the 2009 draft class, who can accelerate to top speed in no time. Could use his body a lot more effectively for puck protection and along the wall, but is working on it and he’ll get better given time.

He has shown he can play a defensive game quite well, but in an offensive system, this player has game breaker written all over him. Went to the under 17’s last year for Team Ontario, winning gold and was dominant, leading them in scoring with 10 points and was their best player. A player who loves to compete. Currently, he is 3rd with the Brampton Battalion in points with 34 [13 goals, 21 assist] in 24 games, 1 point behind 2nd place on the team behind Evgeny Grachev who's played 30 games. At 5’11”, 196 lbs, will grow bigger and stronger yet and 45 goals, 40 assist for 85 points this season could be within reach.

[note: I have a prospect thing going on another forum and keep up to date and HFboards usually has the best stuff so the post above is a mixture of posts by many posters and my own editing.]

Last edited:

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
For being a projected top 5 pick (usually projected to go 3rd overall), combined with his pretty decent stats, I don't understand why there is hardly any hype for him. It seems like guys like MSP, Brayden Schenn, and Evander Kane have so much hype surrounding them on these boards despite the fact that they are ranked lower by essentially every major scouting service. It seems as though everyone just puts him top 5 in there rankings, but it feels like there's no hype over him like other prospects. He's got sick skills too so I just don't understand it...any explanations?

FromChaos22

Jan 10, 2008
Los Angeles
For being a projected top 5 pick (usually projected to go 3rd overall), combined with his pretty decent stats, I don't understand why there is hardly any hype for him. It seems like guys like MSP, Brayden Schenn, and Evander Kane have so much hype surrounding them on these boards despite the fact that they are ranked lower by essentially every major scouting service. It seems as though everyone just puts him top 5 in there rankings, but it feels like there's no hype over him like other prospects. He's got sick skills too so I just don't understand it...any explanations?

Its clearly because he doesnt have a cool name like the rest.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are many great junior players out there.

But most of them thrive in areas where there are little or no room in the NHL. Like a player who thrives on jumping behind D's in junior, will have to be extremely talented to be able to jump behind even the worst D's in the NHL, like how often do you see a clean breakaway in the NHL? Not often. Or players who thrives with the puck on their stick facing 2 D's with some space to move on. In the NHL you need to be able to take the puck facing your own net, and turn up with it under pressure. Thats what seperates a Henrik Zetterberg or Mike Richards from a Steve Brenier. Brenier is a awsome 1 on 1 player but can't create any 1 on 1 situations for himself so to speak.

I think that Matt Duchene is a player who got ALL the abilitys it takes to create offense in the NHL. I am extremely impressed by him. A player who I think will have a harder time to create offense in the NHL is Corey Hodgeson for example. He is a great hockeyplayer, but he thrives with the puck in open ice, not when it comes to creating open ice for himself...

Matt Duschene is a fantastic skater; he is especially good at collecting the puck deep and then at taking it up ice, even under pressure.

At the ("reasonably") worst I see him as a Zach Parise/Mike Richards type of center in the NHL. At the best a Zetterberg.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Id take Duchene over MSP any day in the week...

I mean Tavares got potential, if he could develop like a Forsberg did after his draft -- like become allot stronger and better on his skates -- Tavares could become the best in the game. Matt Duchene don't have that. So Tavares will go before Duchene, thats usually how it is.

But if we play it forward by some kind of "normal" scenario, I wonder if Duchene won't become atleast as good Tavares in the NHL. Like unless Tavares becomes all that much faster and stronger, and Duchene develops as expected, I see Tavares as a player who scores more then Duchene still, but Duchene is the type who makes his linemates and entire team better more of...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Duchene don't get as much hype because his stats in teh OHL isn't out of this league. I am definitly sure that allot of people who watches allot of kids and have followed the draft for some while is absolutely sold on this kid.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008

But most of them thrive in areas where there are little or no room in the NHL. Like a player who thrives on jumping behind D's in junior, will have to be extremely talented to be able to jump behind even the worst D's in the NHL, like how often do you see a clean breakaway in the NHL? Not often. Or players who thrives with the puck on their stick facing 2 D's with some space to move on. In the NHL you need to be able to take the puck facing your own net, and turn up with it under pressure. Thats what seperates a Henrik Zetterberg or Mike Richards from a Steve Brenier. Brenier is a awsome 1 on 1 player but can't create any 1 on 1 situations for himself so to speak.

I think that Matt Duchene is a player who got ALL the abilitys it takes to create offense in the NHL. I am extremely impressed by him. A player who I think will have a harder time to create offense in the NHL is Corey Hodgeson for example. He is a great hockeyplayer, but he thrives with the puck in open ice, not when it comes to creating open ice for himself...

Matt Duschene is a fantastic skater; he is especially good at collecting the puck deep and then at taking it up ice, even under pressure.

At the ("reasonably") worst I see him as a Zach Parise/Mike Richards type of center in the NHL. At the best a Zetterberg.

I'm glad someone is finally giving this guy credit. Cody Hodgson is so overhyped on these boards it's disgusting, and Duchene, right now, is just as good of a player as he is (going to be better in the future). What do you think Hedman brings to the table that Duchene doesn't? Who can you compare Hedman's style too? Is the only similarity between him and Chara the size? I think Chara is pretty overrated as well.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008

parise and richards are both phenomenal players and that can't be the reasonably worst outcome for him

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
parise and richards are both phenomenal players and that can't be the reasonably worst outcome for him

Yeah, thats over the top I guess.

I think he will become a great player, if he takes care of himself and works really hard. Thats the best way I can put it.

Jonathan Toews

May 23, 2008
Yeah, thats over the top I guess.

I think he will become a great player, if he takes care of himself and works really hard. Thats the best way I can put it.

If i may ask who do you think is game/skill/point wise like in the nhl?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site

You offered more valuable (and spot on) insight into the NHL game in the paragraphs above than one usually finds on HF in a year. Good stuff. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad