Speculation: Matt Duchene

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He’s coming off his ELC and doesn’t have arb rights. They could easily screw him.

Not sure they would, but he certainly is going to not get Couture money.

I could see him getting the Hertl contract at best.

I don't know if you've noticed but every RFA is getting paid big $$$ right now. Dude went 30/36 this year, he is gunna get PAID. It'll be fun to revisit this though and see who ends up being right. I would guess between 7-8 for him

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Meier will take up about half of that by himself and then you need to replace those holes as well. At some point signing expensive high end players will really cost SJ their depth and I'm not sure a team that grey in the face is Duchenes best option he will have.

Lol, Meier is not going to get paid more than William Nylander. If he took an 8 year deal right now he wouldn’t get more than $7M at the absolute most. More realistically, he’s taking a 2-year bridge and getting no more than $5M.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Lol, Meier is not going to get paid more than William Nylander. If he took an 8 year deal right now he wouldn’t get more than $7M at the absolute most. More realistically, he’s taking a 2-year bridge and getting no more than $5M.

Meier is way better than Willy so I don't see why he wouldn't be paid more. A lot of people on here are going to be pretty shocked haha.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Toronto is going to trade Marner at the draft for a package with a top pick and then sign Matt Duchene at a cheaper ticket than Marner. I can feel it in my plums.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I reckon montreal would be the better option as well, althou you never know where he ends up.

MTL and BUF are both good options for him if he wants to be close to Haliburton. I haven't taken a great look at Buffalo's cap situation, so I can't comment on how it all fits together for them.

As a Sens fan, I really want him to stay in CBJ so we can get that extra pick.

On paper, if I am CBJ, would I trade a first round pick for Matt Duchene signed long term? Sure, of course - but if you get into the prospect of that pick being an unprotected 2020 pick after they potentially lose Panarin and Bobrovsky, I'm not sure if I'd do it in their shoes. I'm not saying I think CBJ will be bad, but they are entering uncharted territory where it will be really hard to project outward and guarantee that they'll make the playoffs.

Duchene isn't stupid, he knows that CBJ isn't the same team if Panarin and Bob leave, so I think it'll be important for them to show him they are going to make a splash by acquiring a goalie and maybe another player at the draft or in free agency. If Lehner decides to weigh offers on July 1st, he might be a really good target for them. If they can somehow get Hoffman in a deal with FLA for the 8th year of Panarin/Bob, that would also be another great move since Hoffman and Duchene had fantastic chemistry in Ottawa. Those are very long shot propositions though.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Meier is way better than Willy so I don't see why he wouldn't be paid more. A lot of people on here are going to be pretty shocked haha.

Look at who Meier’s GM is and the way that he has handled RFA contracts for young studs coming off their ELCs. He’s not going to be negotiating with Kyle Dubas here.

Logan Couture scored 30 goals in each of his first 2 seasons and got $2.875M/2Y. (4.47% Cap Hit)

Tomas Hertl scored 46 points in his contract year with 39 even strength points and got $3M/2Y. (4.11% Cap Hit)

Joe Pavelski scored 40 points in his contract year and got $1.64M/2Y. (2.89% Cap Hit)

People are only going to be shocked if they follow your line of thinking.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Doubt it.

So just a final question on this as its getting circular. You don't think a 30/36 power forward winger in his prime is going to make more than 6.75 in todays NHL? Like if SJ wouldn't match that teams would OS that so sooo fast.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Look at who Meier’s GM is and the way that he has handled RFA contracts for young studs coming off their ELCs. He’s not going to be negotiating with Kyle Dubas here.

Logan Couture scored 30 goals in each of his first 2 seasons and got $2.875M/2Y. (4.47% Cap Hit)

Tomas Hertl scored 46 points in his contract year with 39 even strength points and got $3M/2Y. (4.11% Cap Hit)

Joe Pavelski scored 40 points in his contract year and got $1.64M/2Y. (2.89% Cap Hit)

People are only going to be shocked if they follow your line of thinking.

If he can pull it off it'll be incredible for SJ, its just not at all the way the league is trending and even if you say its not Dubas, all those players are still comparables TMs camp can use. Meier isn't arb eligible is he?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If he can pull it off it'll be incredible for SJ, its just not at all the way the league is trending and even if you say its not Dubas, all those players are still comparables TMs camp can use. Meier isn't arb eligible is he?

He is not arbitration eligible.

Nylander isn’t exactly a comparable because he had two 61 point seasons. Meier has a 66 point season this year which was better than anything Nylander ever did, but prior to this year, he had a 36 point year and a 6 point year (in 34 games).

The team is going to be in a cap crunch and they’re probably going to need Meier to take a bridge in order to keep Karlsson and Pavelski. If they let one of those guys walk and don’t bring in any other outside players, they might decide to give Meier a long term deal, but if they do he’s still not going to get more than $7M even if he gets an 8 year deal. He’s got 108 career points in 193 games. His point totals just aren’t up there with the guys that get paid more than that.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He is not arbitration eligible.

Nylander isn’t exactly a comparable because he had two 61 point seasons. Meier has a 66 point season this year which was better than anything Nylander ever did, but prior to this year, he had a 36 point year and a 6 point year (in 34 games).

The team is going to be in a cap crunch and they’re probably going to need Meier to take a bridge in order to keep Karlsson and Pavelski. If they let one of those guys walk and don’t bring in any other outside players, they might decide to give Meier a long term deal, but if they do he’s still not going to get more than $7M even if he gets an 8 year deal. He’s got 108 career points in 193 games. His point totals just aren’t up there with the guys that get paid more than that.

The no arb will certainly help and clearly SJ could use him to take a team friendly deal, I just question with the large shift in the league recently if he will be inclined to. Goal scoring always comes at a premium. It'll be interesting to see what happens and how much magic SJ will be able to pull off.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The no arb will certainly help and clearly SJ could use him to take a team friendly deal, I just question with the large shift in the league recently if he will be inclined to. Goal scoring always comes at a premium. It'll be interesting to see what happens and how much magic SJ will be able to pull off.

I just think Meier is a team player and he and San Jose aren’t going to take the same route as the league generally has with RFA. We will see and I’ll just leave it at that until he actually signs since this is getting a little off topic for this thread.

To bring it back on topic, if EK65 walks, I could definitely see SJ going after Duchene. Even if Meier and Duchene both want 8M over 7 years, San Jose could make that fit because they have a few other expendable players making a decent amount of money on their roster. Guys like Braun, Dillon, M. Karlsson, and Dell show up on CapFriendly and they’re taking up nearly $11M on the cap but San Jose could easily trade every single one of them in order to open up space if they had to.

The way their cap is structured is such that they’re going to be able to make one guy a priority, basically offer him a blank check, and let everybody else filter in from there. That’s exactly what they did with Tavares last off-season and it’s what they’re going to do with Erik Karlsson this year. If Karlsson doesn’t want to be here, they’ll know that and they’ll adjust accordingly and go after somebody else like probably Panarin.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Duchene wants to sign his contract right in Sakic’s office.

3F60A9A3-88F3-4319-9606-F1CCA2DFFA2B.jpeg

Reactions: AvsFanInMichigan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad