Matt Duchene, why all the hype?

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I've never understood why this guy was getting thrown around as a potential first overall pick...

Tavares has immense upside and even with concerns like skating, I don't see how Duchene offers enough to be better.

And as for Hedman, sure this guy could be Aki Berg but he is more likely going to turn out in the Lidstrom mold. How is Duchene a better prospect then this?

I want to understand, but I don't get how what Duchene brings is better then Schenn, MSP, Kane etc...

So help me understand...

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I've never understood why this guy was getting thrown around as a potential first overall pick...

Tavares has immense upside and even with concerns like skating, I don't see how Duchene offers enough to be better.

And as for Hedman, sure this guy could be Aki Berg but he is more likely going to turn out in the Lidstrom mold. How is Duchene a better prospect then this?

I want to understand, but I don't get how what Duchene brings is better then Schenn, MSP, Kane etc...

So help me understand...

Most people would agree that he is not in the same class as the first two. He is ahead of Schenn and Kane etc. mainly because he is the one perceived to have the least flaws. He is a good player, and he definitely belongs among the same tier as the other three. Right now he is simply the consensus #1 in that tier.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Well the consensus is that he is behind Tavares and Hedman, so I'll leave it at that for those two. Compared to Schenn and Kane, he may not be far ahead at all but what separates Duchene is his blazing speed, good hockey sense and finishing ability.
Schenn doesn't have the great wheels and Kane plays a less flashy game. There really are no weaknesses with Duchene, he has pretty much everything going for him.
In the NHL, I think his upside is similar to Schenn and Kane, but because of his great skating I think he most likely to fullfill his potential and the safest pick of those 3...not by a huge margin though.

ugotmybeef*

I know everyone keeps saying he has great finishing ability but I haven't seen much of it last year.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Seems like he is a good scorer, but last season he seemed to have improved his playmaking abilties. But then he was playing with two other pretty good players.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I asked an NHL scout (who's team is picking top 7) about Duchene (and Schenn) during the playoffs, and he really liked Duchene. I said that some people have likened Duchene to Sakic and Toews, the scout said he didn't see that comparison, (he thought Schenn was more like those 2 players than Duchene was). He said Duchene was more of speedster, scorer, flashy, more Hossa style, but better 2 way player than Hossa, he also mentioned Bure like speed and skills, but still a better 2 way player than most.
He really liked Duchene, said that you wouldn't go wrong with him or Schenn, but that they're totally different players. He didn't say who he liked better.
As always take this info with a grain of salt, because really, would we expect a scout to tell a random WHL watcher what he really thinks about players??!!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I asked an NHL scout (who's team is picking top 7) about Duchene (and Schenn) during the playoffs, and he really liked Duchene. I said that some people have likened Duchene to Sakic and Toews, the scout said he didn't see that comparison, (he thought Schenn was more like those 2 players than Duchene was). He said Duchene was more of speedster, scorer, flashy, more Hossa style, but better 2 way player than Hossa, he also mentioned Bure like speed and skills, but still a better 2 way player than most.
He really liked Duchene, said that you wouldn't go wrong with him or Schenn, but that they're totally different players. He didn't say who he liked better.
As always take this info with a grain of salt, because really, would we expect a scout to tell a random WHL watcher what he really thinks about players??!!

If he is a better 2way forward than Hossa is... then he is a really good prospect ;P

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I dont see the Lidstrom or Pronger comparisons for Hedman. I see a Jay Boumeester.

As for Duchene, the hype is that the is a good all-around player. Probably the best in the draft. Skating is amazing, he can finish, pass, and his defensive game is good too.

eric71*

I never really understood it either. I went to a Battalions game to watch him and Hodgson and Grachev play, so I could get a feel of his playing style, but he wasnt playing for some reason :S. Grachev was sick though, Hodgy was ok nothing mind boggling but the NYR picked them selves up a future NHL Star

Starrlinx

Sep 11, 2004
Seattle, WA
I have seen very few argue that he should be ranked higher than 3. What is not to like? Duchene is a complete player. Explosive skater, great speed, good passer, quick release, solid defensive game. Some are criticizing him because he was behind Hodgson, which I don't get. From what I hear he didn't have a bad playoffs either. It's a very low risk/high reward pick, if he doesn't reach his potential he's a solid second line center. If he does, you've got yourself a franchise center. He is better - if slightly - than those below him. Thus why Kane, Schenn, MPS, etc are not even in the conversation at 3.

captain AARON MAIDEN*

I dont see the Lidstrom or Pronger comparisons for Hedman. I see a Jay Boumeester.

dude, are you kidding?

18yo Hedman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 18yo Lidstrom & Pronger

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region

As for Duchene, the hype is that the is a good all-around player. Probably the best in the draft. Skating is amazing, he can finish, pass, and his defensive game is good too.

Don't forget the coachability factor. Duchene is a down-to-Earth great person, reportedly gets along incredibly well with his teammates, is well-liked, intelligent and articulate. He's simply just a very mature, grounded individual. The fact that he boosts arguably the best stick-handling and puck skills in the draft, is (as others have stated) a very competent defensive zone player, and has the skating skills to match all of the above is just gravy. People may not put a lot of stock into his personality, but coachability and attitude are big factors in judging players for a lot of scouts and some organizations go for the best character players.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
dude, are you kidding?

18yo Hedman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 18yo Lidstrom & Pronger

Obviously Hedman is a lot more polished than Lidstrom at the same age. Lidstrom really didn't come into his own until his early 20s. However, I think that it's just flat-out wrong to state that he is significantly better than Pronger at the same age. Pronger was coming off of consecutive point per game seasons in the OHL (77 in his draft year), including winning the league's Max Kaminsky Trophy as best defenceman in 1993, a berth in the Memorial Cup Finals, and a junior playoffs that saw him post an OBSCENE 40 points in 21 games. Remember that Pronger is a defenceman and those numbers are otherwordly. Add in his 6'6, 230 pound frame and he was considered the consensus top defenceman in his draft class. The infamous Daigle statement about the world not remembering the second overall pick looks even more foolhardly by comparison.

Hedman is an oustanding prospect, but to state that he was better, let alone significantly better than Pronger at the same age is willfull ignorance from my perspective.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Obviously Hedman is a lot more polished than Lidstrom at the same age. Lidstrom really didn't come into his own until his early 20s. However, I think that it's just flat-out wrong to state that he is significantly better than Pronger at the same age. Pronger was coming off of consecutive point per game seasons in the OHL (77 in his draft year), including winning the league's Max Kaminsky Trophy as best defenceman in 1993, a berth in the Memorial Cup Finals, and a junior playoffs that saw him post an OBSCENE 40 points in 21 games. Remember that Pronger is a defenceman and those numbers are otherwordly. Add in his 6'6, 230 pound frame and he was considered the consensus top defenceman in his draft class. The infamous Daigle statement about the world not remembering the second overall pick looks even more foolhardly by comparison.

Hedman is an oustanding prospect, but to state that he was better, let alone significantly better than Pronger at the same age is willfull ignorance from my perspective.

Your point is well taken and I agree insofar as the original post is kind of silly. Even if one could determine Hedman is better than Pronger was, the numbers don't support that theory.

But realistically Pronger then and Hedman now are hard to compare at all. They played in different continents, different leagues and different times. Pronger had an amazing draft year, but that Peterborough team was unreal too. Guys like Dave Roche, Jason Dawe, Brent Tully and Mike Harding were unreal that year too and none panned out.

So your conclusion, trying to prove Pronger's case, seems equally flawed. Moreover, I don't think the purpose of those comparisons is to compare who was better then, just how they each develop.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He actually reminds me of Sakic unlike a previous poster said. Hossa? No way. Duchene has NHL speed (i.e that extra gear), sniper, decent size, can raise his game and plays the whole ice. Thats worthy of hype to me.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Your point is well taken and I agree insofar as the original post is kind of silly. Even if one could determine Hedman is better than Pronger was, the numbers don't support that theory.

But realistically Pronger then and Hedman now are hard to compare at all. They played in different continents, different leagues and different times. Pronger had an amazing draft year, but that Peterborough team was unreal too. Guys like Dave Roche, Jason Dawe, Brent Tully and Mike Harding were unreal that year too and none panned out.

So your conclusion, trying to prove Pronger's case, seems equally flawed. Moreover, I don't think the purpose of those comparisons is to compare who was better then, just how they each develop.

This appears to be an apparent contraction there to me. I fully embrace the notion that differences in league play, the fact that Hedman played against grown-men (whereas Pronger had a distinct advantage playing against smaller teenagers), and European stylistic differences relative to North American junior hockey all play a role in making any direct comparison difficult. I just find the notion that one was >>>>>> greater than the other to be a tad ridiculous. The bottom line is that we simply don't know. He could be better than Pronger, although I doubt that. But the purpose of the original post wasn't to discuss their respective developments, it was more to evaluate the statement that he was definitively better than Pronger at the same age. I see very little evidence to support that assertion and your post appears to agree.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
I never really understood it either. I went to a Battalions game to watch him and Hodgson and Grachev play, so I could get a feel of his playing style, but he wasnt playing for some reason :S.

Not having seen him play would be a good reason you don't understand the hype. It could've either been the shoulder injury that kept him out prior to the WJC Selection Camp or at the end of the year he was whacked pretty good vs Mississauga if memory serves me and they kept him out as a precaution.

I'm not sure I love the Sakic comparisons either. I think if you asked him, he'd say he tries to play like Forsberg. He does have pretty impressive lower body strength which seems to make him difficult to knock off the puck. He's got tremendous speed. His stickhandling/playmaking abilities have to be up there in the best of the OHL category (and the coach's poll confirmed this). I guess people like to say Sakic because he's also got a pretty good wrister and carries himself very professionally both on and off the ice. Being named Canada's captain at the U18s not too far back was well deserved, IMO.

I think people are confused because this is a player who was receiving little attention for quite a while; probably less than he deserved in the opinion of someone who's seen him for the past two years. It's finally catching up to his abilities but maybe too quickly in the minds of some who are taking the "woah, he came out of nowhere so it must be overblown!" stance.

It's frustrating to have seen the Powerade Centre empty all year and then have people now saying "What's so good about him?" especially in the GTA. Get out and support your OHL teams.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
He's a complete player....will be the next Mike Richards. (A little less nasty though)

captain AARON MAIDEN*

Even if one could determine Hedman is better than Pronger was, the numbers don't support that theory.

LOL. And remember Pronger played against kids, Hedman against adults (3rd or 4th best league in the world).

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

That pretty much sounds exactly like a Datsyuk type of player.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I'm not sure I love the Sakic comparisons either. I think if you asked him, he'd say he tries to play like Forsberg. He does have pretty impressive lower body strength which seems to make him difficult to knock off the puck. He's got tremendous speed. His stickhandling/playmaking abilities have to be up there in the best of the OHL category (and the coach's poll confirmed this). I guess people like to say Sakic because he's also got a pretty good wrister and carries himself very professionally both on and off the ice. Being named Canada's captain at the U18s not too far back was well deserved, IMO.
His favorite player is Crosby. So a Crosby/Forsberg comparison is fair.

He seems like a really level headed, smart kid. I think that is another thing that puts him above the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad