Matt Duchene Appreciation Thread

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We had Karlsson pre-Cooke.

Duchene is a fantastic skater but Karlsson was next level

I agree that Karlsson was the better skater, but I can understand the sentiment towards Duchene as well.

Duchene is a better skater in a phone-booth (ie: multiple quick cuts in a small amount of space). Karlsson was better at... well, everything else. :laugh: But watching Duchene protect the puck along the boards with his footwork is very, very impressive too.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I loved the trade then and now, and reallly love this guy on our team.

I’m generally a pretty positive dude, and I will get over it pretty quick as is my wont, but holy shit I want this guy signed.

He is THAT good of a player that between him and Stone we have a hard hitting two scoring lines. The kids are already playing at a top six level (white and BT) and we have a hand full of other wingers that could make us a dangerous threat for years to come. When healthy we’re
One of the highest scoring teams in the league, not bad for a bottom team.

As a fan I love all of the goals, and we’re seeing more defence lately.

Sign this friggin guy please!!!!!

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I've only been watching hockey since '04, but I can say his ability to control the puck along the boards and his acceleration from a dead stop to near full speed is possibly the best I've ever seen.

I hope he resigns but honestly...

Reactions: CorrectOpinion

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I wasn't for the trade mainly because of Duchene's contract status and whether the Sens would be able to re-sign him. Having watched him play every game there is no doubt he's a #1 centre which puts him ahead of Turris (no knock on him cause I wanted to keep Turris too). What @BonkTastic said about his ability to skate in a phone-booth and make quick cuts is among the best I've seen because he can do it consistently. I definitely hope the Sens can re-sign him. It's easier to find and slot a #2, 3 or 4 when you have a legit #1 guy. They'll be set at centre for many years.

As to being the best skater well that's pretty subjective depending on a number of factors but there is no doubt skating with the puck is one of his strengths.

Reactions: Variable26

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I've only been watching hockey since '04, but I can say his ability to control the puck along the boards and his acceleration from a dead stop to near full speed is possibly the best I've ever seen.

I hope he resigns but honestly...

Not knocking Duchene's speed...guy is fast...but dude...do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and type in Pavel Bure,,,...have fun!

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Not knocking Duchene's speed...guy is fast...but dude...do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and type in Pavel Bure,,,...have fun!

I don’t remember Bure as well as I should (I was a kid growing up in B.C. at the time but my folks loved Kariya and Teemu more) but he was likely the fastest player of all time (judging by video).

Hard to really evaluate Pavel as it was the transitional era from run and gun to hit and grind and obstruct. Yet he was still that fast.

What impresses me about Duchene is the work in tight spaces. His top speed isn’t as fast as some of the elites but two strides and he’s at full speed.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I don’t remember Bure as well as I should (I was a kid growing up in B.C. at the time but my folks loved Kariya and Teemu more) but he was likely the fastest player of all time (judging by video).

Hard to really evaluate Pavel as it was the transitional era from run and gun to hit and grind and obstruct. Yet he was still that fast.

What impresses me about Duchene is the work in tight spaces. His top speed isn’t as fast as some of the elites but two strides and he’s at full speed.

Duchene is definitely better in tight spaces and he has no shortage of speed either. As other's have said and I agree he kinda feels like a Crosby light kind of player. Bure's gift was the fact that he could out maneuver anyone, had insane stick handling, one of the most accurate shots and a deep well of creativity...and he did it all at top speed virtually all the time...it was unreal.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Duchene is definitely better in tight spaces and he has no shortage of speed either. As other's have said and I agree he kinda feels like a Crosby light kind of player. Bure's gift was the fact that he could out maneuver anyone, had insane stick handling, one of the most accurate shots and a deep well of creativity...and he did it all at top speed virtually all the time...it was unreal.

You almost have to wonder what was the greater preventable tragedy for the NHL, Bure or Orr having their knees hacked away by lesser competitors.

I almost feel like it was Bure...

(On a Cannucks and tragedy related note there isn’t a day that I don’t think about Luc Bourdon. That kid would have been an absolute stud. Same for Cherepanov.)

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
You almost have to wonder what was the greater preventable tragedy for the NHL, Bure or Orr having their knees hacked away by lesser competitors.

I almost feel like it was Bure...

(On a Cannucks and tragedy related note there isn’t a day that I don’t think about Luc Bourdon. That kid would have been an absolute stud. Same for Cherepanov.)

Both honestly....crazy to think of the numbers they could have both put up had it not been for those injuries....anyhoo, we're kinda highjacking the Duchene thread-lol....
I hope they manage to sign Matt, if the offer was 8x8 that seems reasonable...hopefully they make it work.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Both honestly....crazy to think of the numbers they could have both put up had it not been for those injuries....anyhoo, we're kinda highjacking the Duchene thread-lol....
I hope they manage to sign Matt, if the offer was 8x8 that seems reasonable...hopefully they make it work.

Ha! I know. But I vote Bure. (Crazy, but I feel we never saw prime Bure however we saw prime Orr)

I also feel like it is a fair (ish) offer. MD’s market value is 8 million imo, lesser on a competitor, more on a cellar dweller.

It really all depends on the bonus’ which depends on Lebreton so if I were a betting man...

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This deserves a separate post.

When Matt has a ‘bad’ game, he’s not noticable. I can’t recall a game he’s played for us (or Colorado) where he was a major factor in the loss of a game.

Sometimes he’s not in the score sheet. Sometimes he’s on the ice when a goal is scored. But I don’t recal a game where he’s given the puck away for the winning goal.

Stud.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I dont think it's realistic to compare skating between Ds and Fs. The things they need to do are quite different

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Thanks Matt.

Never forget there’s people who thought Turris was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad