Matt Cooke Suspension Thread: Suspended 7 Games [Mod Warning Post #1]

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
FhxV89T.png

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
It was nice for the Avs to surrender the high ground, with Hejda's slew foot and Stastny's crosscheck. Whether it was 'karma' or not, Colorado was the dirtier team tonight by a mile.

Come on, man... Stastny's cross check was nothing more than playoff hockey. He didn't hit him high and was called for it regardless. No real problem there. Was pretty impressed by the clean play all around - I was a little afraid that the Avs would come out headhunting. Roy seems to have done a good job keeping them focused - which suprises the hell out of me.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Come on, man... Stastny's cross check was nothing more than playoff hockey. He didn't hit him high and was called for it regardless. No real problem there. Was pretty impressed by the clean play all around - I was a little afraid that the Avs would come out headhunting. Roy seems to have done a good job keeping them focused - which suprises the hell out of me.

Granlund sure got targeted enough for me to consider the Avs trying to play a little dirty last night.

But I too am shocked that they didn't have some kind of pull-out-the-stops-lets-injure-this-guy moment.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

What I meant was, they essentially cancelled out all of the things that Avs fans were complaining about us doing in game 3 (Nino's slash on Bordeleau; I'd even say Hejda's slew foot wasn't that far below Cooke's ordeal).

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
And that's fine if you don't, but I was just proving a point that I was talking about the intentions of Cooke, not that we should be ashamed for employing him like he was trying to make it sound like.

Let's be real, Cooke knows he's ALWAYS going to be under a close eye from the league. Why would he go out and put himself and his team in jeopardy by making an intentionally dirty play when he knows it will result in him being suspended during a playoff run? Doesn't make much sense to me. He tucked his elbow and squared his shoulder to make a body check and Barrie tried to jump out of the way and Cooke made a split second decision to still try and finish his check when he probably should have tried some sort of action to avoid contact with him.

It was a bad play and it resulted in an injury unfortunately but I have little doubt that it was not his intention to go out and deliver a knee on knee and try to take out some guy's MCL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad